Tested positive for COVID 11 days before cruise

LakeAlto

Hello. We are about to leave on a cruise on February 18. This is a family reunion with 10 adult family members in all. My brother started to feel crummy on February 7 and tested positive for Covid on February 8. Technically, his Covid test was 10 days ago. He’s no longer having symptoms but he is still testing positive for Covid as of today (Feb 17th).  He is a scrupulously honest person and is not willing to fib on his health questionnaire when he comes to the port tomorrow. So my question is this, assuming he answers truthfully and states that he has had Covid in the past 14 days, will they deny him boarding? Because the CDC recommendations are that someone’s no longer contagious after five or seven days as long as they’re not symptomatic. Has anybody been in this scenario? And please don’t advise me to tell him to fib on his questionnaire. He simply won’t do that.

It's well known you can continue to test positive long after you are no longer contagious.  Even his personal doctor would likely advise him to answer "no" to the health question.  But if he absolutely won't, then he's at the mercy of whatever policy Royal has in place.  They may automatically deny him boarding (and possibly others in his party) or they may let him explain and agree he's OK.  And that's pretty much all anyone can answer given how you've phrased the question.

1 hour ago, LakeAlto said:

Hello. We are about to leave on a cruise on February 18. This is a family reunion with 10 adult family members in all. My brother started to feel crummy on February 7 and tested positive for Covid on February 8. Technically, his Covid test was 10 days ago. He’s no longer having symptoms but he is still testing positive for Covid as of today (Feb 17th).  He is a scrupulously honest person and is not willing to fib on his health questionnaire when he comes to the port tomorrow. So my question is this, assuming he answers truthfully and states that he has had Covid in the past 14 days, will they deny him boarding? Because the CDC recommendations are that someone’s no longer contagious after five or seven days as long as they’re not symptomatic. Has anybody been in this scenario? And please don’t advise me to tell him to fib on his questionnaire. He simply won’t do that.

Call and talk with them - get a supervisor on the line who can actually answer questions, including their name/title and his options.  

Fingers crossed he can find a solution!

Yeah, that’s what I think too. He hasn’t had any recent symptoms so when he did the pre-boarding questionnaire today, he answered yes to the first two questions (Covid vaccination questions) and no to the second two questions. My concern is if he has to fill out a more extensive health questionnaire at the port, and they ask him if he’s been symptomatic in the past 14 days, he will say yes (he will answer this question truthfully).  At that point, they will most likely deny him boarding. Bummer.   This will affect only him and his wife. We do not live in the same cities.

Call and talk with them - get a supervisor on the line who can actually answer questions, including their name/title and his options.  

He did that. He was told that if he answered “yes” to any questions asking if he’s been symptomatic in the past four days 14 days, they would require him to have a negative Covid test. The problem is he still testing positive for the Covid virus at day 10.  I know he’s no longer contagious at this point because he’s not symptomatic and it’s been too long. I guess we won’t know what happens until we get to the port tomorrow. I’ll post back and let everybody know what happens.

18 minutes ago, LakeAlto said:

Yeah, that’s what I think too. He hasn’t had any recent symptoms so when he did the pre-boarding questionnaire today, he answered yes to the first two questions (Covid vaccination questions) and no to the second two questions. My concern is if he has to fill out a more extensive health questionnaire at the port, and they ask him if he’s been symptomatic in the past 14 days, he will say yes (he will answer this question truthfully).  At that point, they will most likely deny him boarding. Bummer.   This will affect only him and his wife. We do not live in the same cities.

The only thing they ask at the port is if anything has changed since filling out the questionnaire the day before.  No other questions, no hassles.  

Kudos to your brother.  It's easy to follow rules when they don't adversely affect us.  In this case, being honest can certainly curtail his vacation and impact his family tremendously, but his word stays in tact.  He is a man of honor and I respect that tremendously.  I hope it doesn't exclude him, because I believe he is very unlikely to be contagious, but my hopes aren't necessarily the rules RCL follows.  Really hoping for the best.

22 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

They may screen him at the port, including testing on the spot.  They do that for folks that answer the symptoms question positively.

Yes.  I’m hoping that they do not ask any additional questions other than the four questions asked on the Health Questionnaire in the RC app. If there’s nothing more than that, he should be fine. If he is asked to fill out a more extensive health questionnaire, then they will probably pull him aside because he will answer truthfully. They might deny him boarding outright or they might ask him to take a Covid test. The problem is he still testing positive for Covid today (today is day 10).  There’s a chance he’ll still be positive tomorrow on day 11. Which stinks because I am pretty sure he’s no longer contagious at this point. 

Probably no consolation, but the intent and spirit of those questions is to keep active covid off the ship and not to trip up honest guests who technically can answer "yes" but for benign reasons. 

If he's done all he's expected to do and is just a victim of a lingering negative test which is well documented as being a thing, despite feeling fine, then he should feel OK answering "no"

1 hour ago, LakeAlto said:

My concern is if he has to fill out a more extensive health questionnaire at the port, and they ask him if he’s been symptomatic in the past 14 days, he will say yes (he will answer this question truthfully).  At that point, they will most likely deny him boarding. Bummer. 

We were not asked additional questions at the port when we sailed in November.  No temperature taking, nothing.  I was a little surprised by that in fact.  The last "check" we had was the app two days before sailing.  Best of luck to you all!

1 hour ago, TessOR said:

We were not asked additional questions at the port when we sailed in November.  No temperature taking, nothing.  I was a little surprised by that in fact.  The last "check" we had was the app two days before sailing.  Best of luck to you all!

But did you answer yes or no to the question of having symptoms on the app?  If you answered yes, and they asked nothing further at the port, I would agree that's surprising but helps LakeAlto's brother's chances.  If you answered no, then it's not really an indication of what could happen here.