Eating less food at meals

Marc

My husband and I have adopted healthier eating habits over the years and find that we eat much less in quantity than we used to. Remember when they taught that 3 ounces of beef was a full serving? Well, I'm actually closer to satisfied at that point now.

Anyway, one of the problems we often face is that we'll order a modest amount of food, and we may very well leave some food leftover on the plate. We'll likely skip dessert, too. The servers' protestations suggest that this contrary to their expectations of Americans dining.

We don't want the servers to feel concerned that we didn't like our meals, so we do what we can to explain that we just don't eat that much, but they almost seem to have a look in their eye like we're going to have a word with their manager. I would imagine that others may have had similar experiences, so I'm curious whether there are any good ways to smooth over these moments. (I think that, as someone who currently weighs in the mid-200s, people may get an incorrect initial impression of me.)

The new MDR menus apparently provide much less food than they used to, so you may be in luck on your next cruise! 

If you still find it to be too much, perhaps say something ahead of time like you just wrote here. If you say it before you even get your food, they can't assume it is because you don't like it.

Having just cruised on a non-Royal line, I definitely noticed a difference.  Trying to skip dessert on Royal is kind of a battle.  The waiters always seem so hurt.  They try to encourage you.  On the other line, they'd ask if you wanted dessert, and if you said no, they said "thank you" and moved along.  I really liked this.  Granted, it was one of the only things I liked better, but it was nice to not have the "battle".  But, at least with Royal if you have too much food but would like to just take some back to your room for later, they'll allow it.  The other line would not allow it at all.  So basically you have to adopt @Pattycruise's wise advice - just do you and let the matter slide.  But enjoy!

When I oder something, I want it. When I don't order something, I don't want it. I don't believe in treating cruise ship crew special to other service workers. On land in a restaurant if I say no, it's no. Period. Having issues with my order is the fastest way to get zero tips. It really, really is that simple. And that system works on land just fine. 

I don't ever remember 3 ounces of beef was sufficient of a meal even with a starch and veggie, mainly because that's precooked wight meaning what you get is less once cooked. 6 ounces was always my go to, particularly if the veggies weren't cooked thoroughly which leaves just the meat and potatoes.  That's why I generally would opt for the fruit option instead of a vegetable, very rarely does a restaurant cook broccoli right. The roll is also hit or miss, half the time it's harder thana rock. 

Now if one were to have an appetizer 3 ounces may be fine. 

On 2/5/2023 at 2:32 PM, smokeybandit said:

I've always felt the portion size for most entrees to be quite appropriate. And there are rumors that they're even smaller now.

Actually for us a little smaller portion would help.  We don't do the bread basket, usually only allow ourselves 1 dessert on a 7 day cruise.  Mostly skip lunch (ok once or twice I'll splurge - don't tell my wife)

Only other change that would help us would be more vegetables.