Shows Onboard

SOJA21

Hello,

First time sailing with RC and I believe I read in a post or a video that shows can be booked once on board and to do so right away so that you get your spot.   I was doing my check in and started looking through the app when I saw I could book shows now and that the Aqua show is completely booked my week of sailing.  Is this something new RC is doing or did I just misunderstand what I thought I heard in a video. 

Thanks

Oasis and Quantum class ships you can book the shows in advance in the Cruise Planner starting somewhere in the 30-60 day out range. During the pandemic they stopped allowing this, but now it's back.

Keep checking back for spots to open up and when you board they likely will have some spots open. Also they do standby to fill the no-show spots, so there's always the chance to get in that way without a reservation. 

I’m so n Symphony.  They had shows available to book at the “box office” on boarding day.  Not every show was open, but there were spots.

I opted to go standby for Hairspray, they are supposed to open the theater to standby 10 minutes prior to show time. Unfortunately for us they opened 7:02 (for a 7:00 show) so we were all told to go upstairs, in the dark, and find seats.  There were PLENTY of seats.  

arrive about 30 minutes prior to show time for the standby people, others with a reservation # should arrive at least 10 minutes prior ti show ting.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same understanding of the process and now have the same issue. Not a single show for WOS in late Feb.  I just spent an hour on the phone with RC customer service and they basically said too bad so sad.  So, I spent $5,000 for a cruise that no longer has downgraded food quality and options in every venue except the ones I pay extra for, no more twice a day cabin service and now not a single bit of entertainment. None of these changes was in place when we booked the cruise and basically RC is saying just suck it up. So, I only need to adhere to my end of the contract as a consumer, but not RC. We will be going back to Disney for the next cruise.

You're borrowing trouble @Dislike RC.  Go on the cruise, I bet with minimal effort you can see the shows.  Try the food, it's not downgraded, just the classics aren't there every single night.  You will probably still like it.  Cabin service is still twice a day, you're just mistaken on that point.

So do honor your contract, they are honoring theirs.  You were never promised anything about which you are complaining.  You were promised shows would be offered and dinner would be included.

1 hour ago, Dislike RC said:

I had the same understanding of the process and now have the same issue. Not a single show for WOS in late Feb.  I just spent an hour on the phone with RC customer service and they basically said too bad so sad.  So, I spent $5,000 for a cruise that no longer has downgraded food quality and options in every venue except the ones I pay extra for, no more twice a day cabin service and now not a single bit of entertainment. None of these changes was in place when we booked the cruise and basically RC is saying just suck it up. So, I only need to adhere to my end of the contract as a consumer, but not RC. We will be going back to Disney for the next cruise.

My very first cruise with Royal, I did not understand the process of pre=booking entertainment and was very disappointed we missed out.  
I was very happy to discover this discussion group and learn so much for my subsequent sailings.  I highly recommend reading a number of posts here.  There have been a few changes from pre-covid to post=covid and we are all going with the flow.  You will learn a lot here and be way ahead of the other new to Royal cruisers, or even loyal Royal cruisers who do not read up on the "new things".
If there is Facebook group for your sailing I recommend joining it, you may learn some things there.

With all that said,
You can go directly to the box office once you board and get the entertainment sheet.  It is a very nicely laid out sheet of all the entertainment and you can actually see what days/times the things run, (much easier than figuring it out in the cruise planner before you board)
Do a quick look over it and then ask them for the things you want.  They will check for availabilty, who knows, maybe they know which shows still have access and can tell that to you before you look over the sheet.
Standby:  it is always possible to go to a show on standby regardless if you have seen it before, or want to see it a second time (no one can book a second show, they have to go standby)  Arrive about 30 minutes or so before the show to be on the line for when the doors open to standby people.  Depending on demand you might want to arrive 40 mintues prior.....thatll be up to you to figure out.
Aqua show can be viewed by the Rock Walls-not many people know about that.....(now you do because you read it here!)
You can always check back at Guest Services to see if there was a cancellation, their stock answer is "the show is sold out", I ask them to PLEASE check and one time they found available reservations-surprise!  
Even if you arrived late to a show you can likely walk in (oh, I just went to the bathroom)-just be mindful of the people you have to step over to find seating.

I can attest that the service is still twice a day.  The menus have changed, but not the quality of the food.  
The  muster drill beats nothing else any other ship is offering.  It's 60% done on the app and you walk up to scan in and you are done with it.
The app has most everything you'll need in it.  Check it out now so you are familiar with how it works.  You can also ask your stateroom attendant for a copy of the paper compass, they are really trying to do  away with paper though, so be aware of that.
You can carry on 2 bottles of wine/12 cans soda/water.....  policy is here https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/food-drink-onboard-policy

I've never sailed Disney, so I cannot compare to Royal, and I'm sure if I ever did sail Disney I would find things that were different, and not necessarily to my liking, but I would give them a chance.
I'd change my mindset in regards to this sailing or you will be 100% miserable looking for every fault.  You have a fantastic advantage of being on these boards to pick up tips/tricks to make things even better for you.  You are so far ahead of more than 1/2 the people who will be sailing.

Yes to of the things said above. And once you have a reservation, arrive early if you want great seat selection. I am always amazed at those who arrive as the show is about to start and are frustrated that they can't get "the best" seats. All of the shows are performed multiple times with very few exceptions. The other thing that people have to remember when putting together their "perfect" schedule is that the shows can change. The Aqua performers can't perform when it's 55 degrees out, or in a thunderstorm; the theater dancers cannot perform when the waves are too high - the technology of the shows makes it dangerous for them. If this happens the shows are rescheduled and your reservations are moved. I don't think that I've been on a cruise yet that hasn't had something rescheduled - I try to lean into vacation mode and just go with it. Listen to the cruise director announcements to know what's up, for sure! Wonder is a huge, beautiful ship. I can't imagine not having a great vacation on her. As @Pattycruisesaid, just go get an entertainment listing as soon as you get onboard and start booking. There will be people to help you with reservations as well - that can be a little faster your first time until you get used to the app onboard.

Best wishes for a great cruise!

@Xaa" You were never promised anything about which you are complaining.  You were promised shows would be offered and dinner would be included."

So as long as RC says something is available there is no obligation on their part to ensure that the a resource or amenity is appropriately scaled to the number of people on board?  So as long as they offer one of something for 7,000 folks that is enough?

20 minutes ago, teddy said:

I deleted what I typed and defer to the three replies above me.   They’re nice  

Trust me when I say, my immediate reaction is not always so nice.  Then I try to remember "if you have nothing nice to say don't say it at all".  It can be very difficult at times to be kind, very difficult! 

2 hours ago, Dislike RC said:

@Xaa" You were never promised anything about which you are complaining.  You were promised shows would be offered and dinner would be included."

So as long as RC says something is available there is no obligation on their part to ensure that the a resource or amenity is appropriately scaled to the number of people on board?  So as long as they offer one of something for 7,000 folks that is enough?

While the person you are quoting is technically true in their assessment. You will have all the options available to you. They only allow so many reservations to be booked beforehand. You will be able to book the shows when you board. If you have never sailed on RC, you cannot say the food quality is downgraded: I have sailed enough to say it is not what it used to be but that is a combination of food inventory and new staff. 

7 hours ago, Dislike RC said:

I'm not one of those people who thinks Royal Caribbean can do no wrong, so I totally get where you are coming from.

Last year I booked Wonder for this May and Icon for next. This after 15 years of just Disney. So the idea of feeling like I have downgraded quality and concerns about it are very much there. (Last time I did Royal, Voyager was the star ship)

I totally understand the feeling like what I paid for and signed on for seems to have been cut down since I gave them so much money. 

The complaints about food quality going downhill, menu changes for cost cutting disguised as time saving (Do me a favor), service like twice a day housekeeping going away (YES, I Know...hasn't happened yet, but it's coming. Folks have talked to staff about it), and booking entertainment in advance (You can't, You can, Only on Oasis class, 60 days out, 45 days, 30 days. Make up your mind already) 

There is a feeling that it's becoming "less then" for some who booked a year ago before all the changes started. Like it just doesn't feel like what was sold and or expected. And you know what, those feelings are valid. If that's how you feel, that's how you feel. I do.

However, I'm going into both this year and next with a mission to make it work. I'm going to get everything I can out of both trips. The advice about more entertainment to book once on board seems to hold true. So get right on it when the time comes. I guess I'm saying try to make the most out of things and don't let the feeling of being short changed become a self fulfilling prophecy. 

But don't let anyone make you feel like your opinions, thoughts, concerns, frustrations, etc aren't valid, just because they don't share them. I'm the odd one out here most days. LOL. At the same time don't fall into your own self fulfilling prophecy. Hope that helps.

On 1/24/2023 at 8:56 PM, SOJA21 said:

Hello,

First time sailing with RC and I believe I read in a post or a video that shows can be booked once on board and to do so right away so that you get your spot.   I was doing my check in and started looking through the app when I saw I could book shows now and that the Aqua show is completely booked my week of sailing.  Is this something new RC is doing or did I just misunderstand what I thought I heard in a video. 

Thanks

You can go stand-by for the shows.  There are always seats.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.

10 hours ago, Dislike RC said:

@Dislike RC, with the smallest amount of effort, you're going to be able to see the shows.  

I hate to see you having this level of anxiety about a problem you think might happen when it hasn't happened.  If you open your heart to the experience, you'll see that the shows will be available.  You'll find that some nights the food is exactly what you want exactly when you want it and some nights not so much.  Your room will be cleaned twice daily.

My sincerest advice now if to just take your trip with the spirit you had when you booked.  I wouldn't call RC anymore about things like this, that will surely make for a bad day and there isn't anything they can do about those things for you.  The shows are an on ship thing to resolve.

Keep checking for the shows, check the app onboard and so forth but even if they remain "Sold Out", go stand in the stand by line.  You'll get in.

I didn't mean to be harsh earlier, but I can see that I was.  I'm glad you came back to the thread and I hope after your trip that you come back again.  You may feel the same at that point and if you do it will be for what actually happened.