No Creme Brule?

Donna Byerly

5 hours ago, Donna Byerly said:

I'm leaving on Symphony OS in 30 days.  I looked at new menus and don't see Creme Brule on any of the nights.  That's my FAVORITE dessert.  Do they offer it on a 7 day cruise now?  I'm hoping so.

Its is on French night; you may have missed it because the original run of the new menus only had the Chefs Recommendations on the top of the menu, but they fixed it and now have the items on the top and main part of the menu....

mdr-menu-french-night-rev1.jpg.webp

• 7 months later...
On 1/14/2023 at 4:13 PM, GregD said:

Unpopular opinion, the creme brûlée that RC makes is the worst creme brûlée I have ever had.....

I agree - so bland... I know @melmar02 also holds this opinion, so maybe not as unpopular as you think!

My oldest teen makes Crème Brûlée every time the grandparents visit and that recipe is amazing, so I'm spoiled, but I think I would still not enjoy Royal's regardless.

28 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

I agree - so bland... I know @melmar02 also holds this opinion, so maybe not as unpopular as you think!

My oldest teen makes Crème Brûlée every time the grandparents visit and that recipe is amazing, so I'm spoiled, but I think I would still not enjoy Royal's regardless.

I know that it's tough to make very large batches, but I've had it at many places where its cooked in large amounts that still make it well, so they really don't have an excuse.  I too make a really good creme brûlée. Not only does the cream steep with the vanilla, I add orange zest as well. So good!

On 8/25/2023 at 5:49 PM, jbrinkm said:

There's another dessert on the menu that isn't called Crème Brûlée but is essentially exactly the same thing and tastes identical. 

If I'm remembering correctly, it is the Crema Catalana.

Crema catalana (at least MDR version since I never tried it anywhere else) is much much heavier consistency than creme brulee and about 10 time sweeter. I couldn't have more than a spoon and a half (the half was just to confirm the first spoon..) Sent it back. They also took off the menu the apple blossom which I used to order almost every night. The new crumble replacement is 💩 ...

11 hours ago, Cruisingmama said:

Crema catalana (at least MDR version since I never tried it anywhere else) is much much heavier consistency than creme brulee and about 10 time sweeter. I couldn't have more than a spoon and a half (the half was just to confirm the first spoon..) Sent it back. They also took off the menu the apple blossom which I used to order almost every night. The new crumble replacement is 💩 ...

Check the MDR lunch menu for the apple blossom. I believe it’s served on Day 6, though I’m not 💯 on that day.

18 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

Check the MDR lunch menu for the apple blossom. I believe it’s served on Day 6, though I’m not 💯 on that day.

Yes we had it on day 4 last cruise and went especially for the apple blossom. It was pretty annoying because we don't do MDR lunch since we don't like to spend so much time in restaurants throughout the day. We generally only do MDR in the evenings but the apple blossom was an exception.

I also saw it daily on some recent Coastal Kitchen menus - but that's for the upper class not for us steerage folks..😜

One hack I use to upgrade the Creme Brule is to ask the waiter to give me different fresh fruit slices on the side...blueberries, raspberries and cantaloupe are my favs.

I just ask the waiter to bring out what he/she thinks is the most in season option and away I go.

On 8/27/2023 at 12:52 PM, Cruisingmama said:

20230408_182642.jpg.1983d857c1b162ed6053b4de30cff468.thumb.jpg.56ac61d6757ee26169abe1448e4ec524.jpg

I don't doubt that the main dining room serves food items that have inconsistencies 😂. The picture above is what I was served as "Crema Catalana" in April (I did a live blog), and to all 4 of my family members, it tasted identical to the Crème Brulé - maybe the chef didn't know how to make it or some other situation came up. I've never had it anywhere else either. 

I agree about the apple crumble - mine tasted like they used rancid oil. 

On 8/29/2023 at 2:05 PM, JimnKathy said:

One hack I use to upgrade the Creme Brule is to ask the waiter to give me different fresh fruit slices on the side...blueberries, raspberries and cantaloupe are my favs.

I just ask the waiter to bring out what he/she thinks is the most in season option and away I go.

That's a great idea!