Ultimate dining package

LJC

We are travelling on the Wonder of the Seas in March for a special birthday celbration. We have decided to book the ultimate dining package but we are unable to make any reservations until we get on the ship. We were lucky enough to be on the Harmony in November and because we were stuck in traffic we arrived later than planned. Due to this all the speciality restaurants were full around our desired eating time and we were offered 9pm dining only. Has anyone else experienced this? We feel it is a lot of money to spend to find out we cannot book the restaurants we want or the times. Once we get passed two days prior ro boarding we won't be able to cancel so we are really concerned.

Make it a point to check in at 45 days early and grab the earliest boarding time and get on the ship as soon as you can to make the reservations.

If you do find once you board you can't get acceptable times, you can cancel the dining package at Guest Services onboard and it will be refunded as refundable onboard credit.

9 hours ago, LJC said:

We are travelling on the Wonder of the Seas in March for a special birthday celbration. We have decided to book the ultimate dining package but we are unable to make any reservations until we get on the ship. We were lucky enough to be on the Harmony in November and because we were stuck in traffic we arrived later than planned. Due to this all the speciality restaurants were full around our desired eating time and we were offered 9pm dining only. Has anyone else experienced this? We feel it is a lot of money to spend to find out we cannot book the restaurants we want or the times. Once we get passed two days prior ro boarding we won't be able to cancel so we are really concerned.

The tradeoff for being able to eat at all the specialty restaurants you can for the price, is you cannot book until you board. I love the UDP and I eat late so I always get my desired times. I have heard that on Wonder, given the capacity it has, you will often not get the best times unless you board early. 

1 hour ago, MoonMan81 said:

What is regarded as "the best times" ?  Ideally we'd like to eat early (around 5-5:30 if possible). Is this a peak time?

It seems that the earliest and latest dining times are usually easier to get than peak of 6 - 8 pm.  There are things that may influence the trends but we have found the earlier reservations are not as hard to get.  

Another thing to remember is to check in at a later date.  Sometimes things will open up even if they are fully booked on day one.  We have been on both sides of this, have cancelled or moved reservations (usually only when we have a genie or concierge) and were able to get new or modify reservations mid-cruise.  We lucked into trying  The Mason Jar when Wonder started sailing just by checking back.  

3 hours ago, MoonMan81 said:

What is regarded as "the best times" ?  Ideally we'd like to eat early (around 5-5:30 if possible). Is this a peak time?

This is such a personal preference.

My idea of "best times" is 5pm.  My family eats supper at 5pm rain or shine.  For cruises, 5pm is great because:

1. Generally more availability in terms of seating and reservations,

2. Gives us plenty of time afterwards to relax before evening shows/activities,

3. Gives us enough time to digest and have SECOND DINNER around 10pm. (Usually Sorrentos Pizza or even a light plate from Windjammer lol)

1 hour ago, CruisingNewb said:

This is such a personal preference.

My idea of "best times" is 5pm.  My family eats supper at 5pm rain or shine.  For cruises, 5pm is great because:

1. Generally more availability in terms of seating and reservations,

2. Gives us plenty of time afterwards to relax before evening shows/activities,

3. Gives us enough time to digest and have SECOND DINNER around 10pm. (Usually Sorrentos Pizza or even a light plate from Windjammer lol)

Second Dinner - LOL! Definitely a good thing to keep in mind. We're a fan of eating early too - mainly for digestive purposes but also like being able to make the early shows and then drink at venues around the ship before bed.

1 hour ago, joberry57 said:

Can the suite concierge help book restaurants when they contact you before the cruise?  The one time I did the dining package was at the beginning of the restart and had no issues even though I boarded late. 

That is usually not an issue.  We even had a list of venues, day and time preferences ready for when the concierge emailed.  Sent that along and it was mostly confirmed when we got on.

18 hours ago, Maggie M said:

Second Dinner - LOL! Definitely a good thing to keep in mind. We're a fan of eating early too - mainly for digestive purposes but also like being able to make the early shows and then drink at venues around the ship before bed.

Oh @Maggie M.... you don't know about second dinner?

On a cruise, or other all-inclusive vacation, our rule of thumb is:

6:00 am - first breakfast

9:00 am - second breakfast

Noon - lunch

3:00 pm - snack

5:00 pm - first dinner

10:00 pm - second dinner

Notice there isn't a second lunch.  We like eating at specialty places for first dinner.  Therefore, we only snack at 3:00 pm as opposed to second lunch.  After all, we are heathens.

1 hour ago, Wheeler825 said:

I booked the UDP on Harmony for Feb 18.  Found myself unable to board before 1:00pm boarding - possibly because we just booked recently?  Anyhow, now I'm afraid we won't be able to get OK dining times.  We've got a six year old, so 5pm dining is preferred.  Am I screwed?

I think you'll be ok.  Even if you get stuck late on a few days, you can always take the little one to WJ, JR, Playmakers earlier and then take them to Adventure Ocean to play while you have a later dinner.  At 6, there's a world of difference between staying up to play and staying up for a boring dinner.

27 minutes ago, Xaa said:

I think you'll be ok.  Even if you get stuck late on a few days, you can always take the little one to WJ, JR, Playmakers earlier and then take them to Adventure Ocean to play while you have a later dinner.  At 6, there's a world of difference between staying up to play and staying up for a boring dinner.

Can you tell me if you can just drop kids off at AO or must you have a reservation all the time? We are trying to avoid leaving him without us all the time - he'd be fine, but we want him to enjoy the ship not just the AO

Don't forget you can use your UDP for lunches when the specialty restaurants are open (usually sea days).  

@CruisingNewb- You can usually find me in the WJ at 5 pm for my appetizer course (on a large plate of course).  Then I am ready for my dinner at 8 pm.  Followed by second dessert at 10 or 11 pm.  As far as the morning: 7 am is appetizers from WJ that I bring back to my cabin and 9 am is my main breakfast in the MDR or back up to WJ. 🙂 

16 hours ago, Wheeler825 said:

Can you tell me if you can just drop kids off at AO or must you have a reservation all the time? We are trying to avoid leaving him without us all the time - he'd be fine, but we want him to enjoy the ship not just the AO

You have to register them.  You should do this 1st day to get it out of the way.  Then  there are times they are open and you can bring him and sign him in then.  When you come back you sign him out.  It's free unless you go beyond 10PM.

• 2 weeks later...