MDR: Is the upper level for the main / late seatings, or is it for My Time Dining?

Patchy

Hi all!  I am sailing on Grandeur this coming spring, and would really like to sit on the upper level of the MDR because it looks quite cool and, frankly, less crowded.  Does anyone know whether the upper level is only used for My Time Dining?   Thanks in advance!

Thanks, I (wrongly) assumed dining rooms were set up the same on each ship.  OP, my bad.  I do have to say we’ve had MTD on both of our 2022 cruises with absolutely zero issues.  Same table & waitstaff each night, wait time of no more than 10 minutes, many times just waved right in.

14 hours ago, Censored said:

Avoid My Time Dining. Period. Its a disaster.    

This really seems to be a very situational opinion. I've heard people say it was great, no problems and enjoyed the freedom of picking a time. I've seen other say it was a disaster, long waits and delays. It does seem that MOST have a positive experience with it, and honestly a lot of the issues are probably based on people not making reservations or showing up at different times. 

Our MTD experiences( 7 cruises far) have always been great. That being said, I'll reserve times in CP long before cruise. I look at Past Cruise Compass to check 

entertainment times etc. and book accordingly. Always got same table and servers.  I imagine, based on the non-reservation line, that the experience would be different.

We haven't had more than a 5-10 minute wait with MTD ever and have used it several times. That being said, we used the CP in advance of our sailing and chose the same dinner time every evening because we wanted to increase our chances of having the same wait staff - it worked and we were very pleased! That being said, MTD didn't give you the option of a start time prior to 6:15pm (I think), so we chose the early seating for our upcoming cruise in a few weeks since we prefer to eat earlier and see the early shows then enjoy the rest of the evening around the ship. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

In regard to waiting for MTD, I feel like this is a new occurrence. I always choose the same time. In Jan and Feb 2022, I did MTD and didn't wait at all, fast forward to September 2023. You have full ships and fairly green crew members, even though I had a set MTD of 8:15, made months ago in CP, I had to wait. I sailed in Nov on 2 different ships (Odyssey and Harmony), again same set MTD time for each night and there was a line. Lots of factors on will you possibly wait in line and will the dining room be more or less crowded.  

The only poor experience I have had with my time dining was on Adventure back in November 2021.  The ship had just returned from a Drydocking after the Nassau season.  I was on the first sailing back, so obviously that service was excellent with only 1000 aboard.  The sailing in November, it seemed like the occupancy increase ran past a staffing increase to me (at least in the dining room).  Just generally more frazzled.  A Head Waiter (who we had on the first sailing that year) told us that very few reservations were made the first two nights, throwing off the program, but it was still slower service than usual, with all the waiters running like crazy.  The last few nights of that cruise were fine with the usual quick seating and great service.  Usually the wait is a couple of minutes in my experience. 

Ill see on Oasis next week.  

@Suzanne Elise There was a choice when you booked the reservation - either My Time or Traditional - it should show on your booking reservation which one you have. You can call RC or your travel agent and ask to switch if you don't already have it and want it. You can also try to ask onboard if your preferred option is full/unavailable. Once you have MTD you can make reservations on the Cruise Planner or app.

Any one can use My Time. When you sign up for a cruise, you are usually asked if you want a regular time (early or late dining) or My TIme.  If you have a TA, she/he should have asked and entered it into your profile. You don't have to pre-pay tips to use it. (But I like to pre-pay tips since it will make my final bill smaller after the cruise). On My Time, you can just show up but if you know when you want to dine, it is better to make reservations.  

We went on two cruises in 2022 and had MTD each time. Our experience was wonderful with minimal wait time. We reserved MTD prior to our sailings. On the first night of each cruise, we requested to sit by the window, which we did.  At the end of our first meal we asked to have the same table by the window each evening, which was notated in their system. We sat at the same table each night and was served by the same staff. There were no issues and dinner was great each night!!!

Thanks all. I have traditional for 8. I actually kind of like the idea of getting to know servers and tablemates. We only have three dinners on board because one night we will eat in port. I wasn't offered the options when I booked and I haven't been on a cruise in almost 20 years. I guess if we have a conflict, such as wanting to see a show we can always ask if we can go in the my time DR?

17 hours ago, Suzanne Elise said:

Thanks all. I have traditional for 8. I actually kind of like the idea of getting to know servers and tablemates. We only have three dinners on board because one night we will eat in port. I wasn't offered the options when I booked and I haven't been on a cruise in almost 20 years. I guess if we have a conflict, such as wanting to see a show we can always ask if we can go in the my time DR?

Since you currently have late dining, on the small ships (non-Oasis/Quantum classes), you will not have an issue with show conflicts because there is a late show (for those with early dining) and an early show (for those with late dining).  It's actually the people with My Time Dining that want to eat at a "middle" time that could run in to show conflicts.

On the large ships (Oasis/Quantum classes), the shows don't occur at the same times each day.  So anyone could have a conflict with a specific showtime but that same show would be at a different time on the next day.  So you just have to find the right show time that works with your dinner time.  (There is always a small chance there's no good possibilities and you'd have to eat at the buffet or a specialty restaurant, but in general, the schedule will work out.)