Selfie Sticks banned?

I just saw a post on another site where someone said selfie sticks are prohibited on RC cruises.Last year, I saw lots of folks with them. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, where is that listed on their site?

If not, they should be! I find them annoying. Just my personal opinion, but I am getting crabby in my old age. Sorry RBRSKI.

If not, they should be! I find them annoying. Just my personal opinion, but I am getting crabby in my old age. Sorry RBRSKI.

I understand and I'm probably older and grumpier than you! Last cruise we watched this one couple on an excursion spend MOST of their time using the selfie stick to get the next good angle shot etc. It was nauseating to the point of fascinating trying to guess how long that relationship would last. :-D But then I found myself buying one just so we could actually  get ourselves in one picture for a few 44 anniversary memory shots when we are out on the islands

No worries, I actually think they are becoming a thing of the past or one could also say the crazy has died down.

don't have one, infact I don't actually know anyone who has one.  I'm not really sure what the problem is though.  What does it matter if someone wants a pic of themself.  Admittedly I have no idea how it works though.  I've been on 5 cruises though and I sure plenty of people used them but none of them bothered my fun.

I saw them in use on Navigator in February and haven't read about any restrictions yet.  I know Disney parks prohibit them.  While I don't own a selfie stick, I can't think of a time they've impeded my ability to have a good and safe time, though the same could be said for shorts in the main dining room ;-)  [drops match and walks away]

Guest toodle68

Interesting device.. something designed so people can don't have to interact with others just so they can get a lower quality picture with one shoulder always looking funny..

Yes, yes.. I know sometimes there is no one around.. 

I saw them in use on Navigator in February and haven't read about any restrictions yet.  I know Disney parks prohibit them.  While I don't own a selfie stick, I can't think of a time they've impeded my ability to have a good and safe time, though the same could be said for shorts in the main dining room ;-)  [drops match and walks away]

You just made me laugh out loud .... which really isn't a good thing after I take a drink of coffee

I saw them in use on Navigator in February and haven't read about any restrictions yet.  I know Disney parks prohibit them.  While I don't own a selfie stick, I can't think of a time they've impeded my ability to have a good and safe time, though the same could be said for shorts in the main dining room ;-)  [drops match and walks away]O

"I'm not saying one word.....not one single word...."

The D in MDR stands for dining and not diner, right? ;) 

I always shake my head at the idea of a selfie stick. As posted earlier, it means you're using the lower-quality front camera on your smartphone to start with. Odds are you won't be holding it very steady if its extended all the way out.

"Back in the day", if you wanted to be in the picture, you'd politely ask a passerby if they'd mind taking a photo for you, hand them your point-and-shoot, and presto! Now, because it's a smartphone, I guess people are less willing to do that for fear the stranger will run off with their expensive device or something. Or they're just becoming more and more antisocial.

I thoroughly plan to do that old-school way of it when I'm on the ship, for sure. And when we're on an excursion I'll most likely ask our tour guides to do it, too.

I always shake my head at the idea of a selfie stick. As posted earlier, it means you're using the lower-quality front camera on your smartphone to start with. Odds are you won't be holding it very steady if its extended all the way out.

"Back in the day", if you wanted to be in the picture, you'd politely ask a passerby if they'd mind taking a photo for you, hand them your point-and-shoot, and presto! Now, because it's a smartphone, I guess people are less willing to do that for fear the stranger will run off with their expensive device or something. Or they're just becoming more and more antisocial.

I thoroughly plan to do that old-school way of it when I'm on the ship, for sure. And when we're on an excursion I'll most likely ask our tour guides to do it, too.

You convinced me... I'm going to give it the ole smile and would mind taking our picture question.I'll let you know how it goes! :-D

You convinced me... I'm going to give it the ole smile and would mind taking our picture question.I'll let you know how it goes! :-D

Good luck! :)

And I will say, I've read articles on the tech blogs I follow that certainly make a case for times where it's useful as the "group photo" stick, rather than the selfie stick. If you have one already as you posted earlier, go ahead and bring it! That way you cover all of your bases and can fall back on it if no one is around or you don't feel so comfortable asking the people nearby.

I guess part of it for me was seeing this series of photos that was recently posted. All of the shots are social / family situations -- a couple lying in bed, friends hanging outside, a family at the dinner table, etc. All of them were taken with the people staring into an empty hand where their smartphone would be, in accurate poses (the photographer had them actually hold their devices so they had the right position, then had them freeze and took the phones away).

It really drove home how socially isolating these devices have made us. I've been making an effort for a while now to stop using it so much when family or friends are around and we're in a situation that conversation is expected (dinner, watching a TV show, helping with homework, etc.), and seeing those pictures reinforced that I need to keep making that effort and be more sociable. But just because that's what I feel is necessary doesn't mean everyone else should. And looking again at my last reply, I do have to say that I got just a little preachy there.

Good luck! :)

And I will say, I've read articles on the tech blogs I follow that certainly make a case for times where it's useful as the "group photo" stick, rather than the selfie stick. If you have one already as you posted earlier, go ahead and bring it! That way you cover all of your bases and can fall back on it if no one is around or you don't feel so comfortable asking the people nearby.

I guess part of it for me was seeing this series of photos that was recently posted. All of the shots are social / family situations -- a couple lying in bed, friends hanging outside, a family at the dinner table, etc. All of them were taken with the people staring into an empty hand where their smartphone would be, in accurate poses (the photographer had them actually hold their devices so they had the right position, then had them freeze and took the phones away).

It really drove home how socially isolating these devices have made us. I've been making an effort for a while now to stop using it so much when family or friends are around and we're in a situation that conversation is expected (dinner, watching a TV show, helping with homework, etc.), and seeing those pictures reinforced that I need to keep making that effort and be more sociable. But just because that's what I feel is necessary doesn't mean everyone else should. And looking again at my last reply, I do have to say that I got just a little preachy there.

No you weren't too preachy. I got the selfie stick this year as I am always not in family photos on holidays. But gosh...I hate the constant selfie sticks and when you turn around and realize someone else  has you in their you tube video because you were walking by. Gah....