How many people needed to receive a group discount?

xps15z

Planning on cruising next year, it's going to be a large group. I am wondering how many people do you need to receive a group discount and is that discount even significant to do? We don't have interest in having all of our rooms next to each other, the main thing is it worth even combining everyone if a discount is significant. If it's $100 off, then that's not a major deal.

8 hours ago, xps15z said:

If it's $100 off, then that's not a major deal.

Cruises these days are pretty low margin and super competitive between cruise lines vying for business.  There isn't hundreds and hundreds of dollars per cabin to offer discounts for groups.

Having said that there are many different types of group space offered by Royal.  Few, if any, are offered on the public website.  A travel agency can search for existing group space for parties less than 16 and 8 cabins or if over that threshold the group benefits that might be available for your specific situation. 

I'd suggest reaching out to a TA and starting a dialogue for your group regardless of its size.  MEI Travel sponsors this site and they have TA's trained in managing groups.

In my experience when you begin to involve other cruisers it can quickly become difficult to "herd the cats" as they say.  Someone may have special needs, someone may have dietary issues, some may not be comfortable talking to friends about something they need.   Someone may forget to make final payment, someone may need to cancel at some point.  Over everything else a good travel professional can be the independent 3rd party who can manage all the little things that will pop up when dealing with large numbers of cruisers.

I have done a couple of group bookings (company I worked for was willing to make it a company event).

It can be a lot of work but there is some savings.

I think it was along the lines of: 1 free cabin (excluding taxes, fees, gratuities) for every 8 cabins .. call it about a 10% discount ... and then we were picked up $50 per cabin OBC.

8 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

8 cabins with a minimum of 16 guests total. 
When I did this a number of years ago the incentive for me was OBC for the value of the cheapest fare.  I had the travel agent divide it equally amongst my group.  There may have been other options, but I do not recall what they were 

Yes, I was doing the same for my group until COVID hit and ruined our dreams.  I had a group of 31 in 12 rooms and when doing this through Royal groups department the main person making all the reservations is called the “tour conductor”.  If the group reaches 16 staterooms the “tour conductor” gets a free room.  But 8 rooms provides a nice discount as well which was the price of one person.  So basically my fare was free but not my husband’s unless we hit 16 rooms!   However I was choosing the OBC for everyone.  I spent many mega hours working on it and every time a sale popped up I would call and save everyone money…which of course lowered my discount…but I enjoyed helping out the others.  The saddest part was not being able to actually enjoy the cruise with everyone, thank you very much COVID!! 😖

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

That's from the British RC site, so things may be different for US bookings

That is also the standard for US bookings. We looked at the information when a group of friends were considering a cruise together. We didn't have enough people interested to get to the 8 staterooms minimum so we didn't pursue it further.

The one person worth of fare for free spread across 16 or more people helps everybody. On a booking that the most common stateroom costs $800 per person, that would be $50 each. If you're looking at the cost per person, that wouldn't meet your $100 threshold. If you're looking at the total savings across the group, it would. And $50 off per person will buy close to four drinks each (for example).

11 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

LOL

"Payments for groups can be made by calling (UK) 0344 571 7567 or (Ireland) 1800 555 604, as this feature is not supported by our website at this time."

I don't think their website supports their own website, Royal IT 😡!