First timer questions!

Avid traveler but first time cruiser here! Independence of the seas in April with 2 teens and a 6 year old.

1. Do you get some sort of map of the ship with opening/closing times for the eateries and activities? 

2. For the onboard activities, do you book them when you arrive or before? Ex: Laser tag. ( I have looked at the cruise planner but only see offshore and dining/drink pckgs)

3. Any other helpful tips are welcome! 

Pre Covid you could book activities (not all) in the cruise planner under the entertainment tab.  Currently entertainment has to be booked onboard, and you can do that as soon as you connect to ship wifi in the port....while waiting to board if not do it as soon as you get on the ship. Some things close out.  I am not familiar with the Laser tag, so I cannot help you there.  Also, as Royal seems to be getting closer to going back to normal it could just be that entertainment will open to book in the app (or on the website cruise planner) so you might want to keep checking-or monitor these boards because I'm sure that will be a "big thing".

The app, if you've not downloaded it you should, you can see the deck plans.  You can also google to find deck plans and print them if you feel the need.  There are also typically either a map next to the elevator OR a little "ship model map" (depends on the ship you are on.  A big thing I learned is that typically, the Main Dining Room and the Windjammer are AFT (rear of the ship)....and the Theater is Forward.  Other than that I don't recall exactly where anything else is until I'm on the ship.

The cruise line is trying to do away with paper and do everything in the app.  That's ok, because you CAN see things in the app for each day (Day 1, Day 2 etc show when you click on the calendar and it will populate with the onboard activity and shows when it is close to cruising time.  HOWEVER they also have PAPER called the Cruise Compass and they are attempting to get rid of it.  I prefer the paper.  When you go out to dinner and the stateroom attendant sets up your room for the night they usually leave the next days cruise compass on the bed.  I'm more accustomed to the paper Cruise Compass and like that format, I bring a pen and circle the things I am interested in. On my sailing on Freedom of the Seas last  month they did not leave a cruise compass, the ships are trying to get away from this.....I asked my stateroom attendant to please have them for me and he looked into it and was told he could not, so I had to go to Guest Services to get one each morning.

Also, you will need the App to do check in, meaning to grab your check in time at the pier.  
I just checked in today for a March 27th cruise....so that's 45 days ahead. (it opens just after midnight)  And I was able to get their current earliest boarding time of 11:00 am.  If you have passports or vaccine cards available when you do the check in you can do that part too. If you do not have it available you can always go back and add it, just grab that check in time.

If you have not yet become a Crown and Anchor member I recommend you sign each of you up. (though the youngest might not be able to , not sure on that) If yu can get your C&A number now you MIGHT be able to get the cruise points added to your account once your sailing is done.  You can do that here.  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/account/signin

enjoy your cruise, you are most definitely in the right place to get info.  Read a lot of the posts, there is a TON of helpful info in them.

Thank you so much @Pattycruise! I did not know quite a few of those tid bits! 

Our cabins are pretty aft so that should make it easier getting to the food anyway! 

So, am I assuming correctly then with the mention of wifi that the ship has a slower version of some type of wifi, and if you want a faster streaming you buy the packages they offer? 

5 hours ago, Wanderlust876 said:

Avid traveler but first time cruiser here! Independence of the seas in April with 2 teens and a 6 year old.

1. Do you get some sort of map of the ship with opening/closing times for the eateries and activities? 

2. For the onboard activities, do you book them when you arrive or before? Ex: Laser tag. ( I have looked at the cruise planner but only see offshore and dining/drink pckgs)

1. There are no paper maps.  Download the Royal App if you haven't already - It has a map of the ship and times and menus for all restaurants and activities - you should be able to see all of this stuff now.

2. Nothing can be pre booked these days - it must be done when you get on board.  You will also use the app and it can be done as soon as you have ship Wifi (you do not need to have an internet pkg to use the app)

3. Head to Adventure Ocean pretty early after boarding to get any times set up for your 6-year-old.  Make sure your teens attend the meet and greet at the teen lounge (usually at 7pm) on the first night.  My son (15) has been on 3 cruises, and he always makes a lot of friends.

There is lots of good advice on this website, read as many posts as you can to get an idea of how things work - ask questions!

Thank you @wordell1! I'm on the app now and it definitely has all of the things I was wondering about. 

I didn't realize Adventure Ocean required booking time slots, thanks for that! 

I'm going to try and get the 15 year old to participate in the teen program. I feel like he's been in his room for 2 years since the pandemic, and it would be great to get some socialization happening. His brother is 18 so he's on his own. 

I'm sure I will be reading the forum for the next 8 weeks in tandem with ordering all the necessities from Amazon! 

I was thinking I should get the teens some sort of cross body satchel to keep their phone and extras in while they are out and about. 

Thank you again. Everyone has been very helpful! 

16 hours ago, Wanderlust876 said:

Although the phone app is a good tool, I am old school, so my tip for you is to pack a skinny binder in your carryon bag/backpack that has copies of key documents you printed at home.  I carry with me a deck plan, my cruise invoice, set sail pass, cruise planner receipts, travel insurance declaration page, etc.  Then I can add a cruise compass or a shopping guide on the ship The binders have a plastic sleeve so I can quickly glance down to see my set sail pass or whatever.  I do this when traveling by air as well.  Stuff can fall out of a pocket, but my binder is harder to lose.  Your other questions have been answered, but I like paper to supplement electrons....

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Two words: Magnetic hooks

These are cheap and small, but will make it a lot easier to hang damp stuff in your room or even hang your lanyard at the door 

Yes! The walls & doors of your cabin are magnetic, you can stick them anywhere. I also have magnetic clips that I use as well for stuff that won't hang on a hook. If you have a balcony, chair clips are great for drying their swim gear. I clip my rash guard to one of the chairs and its dry in about an hour. There is a clothes line in the bathroom that goes across the tub, but that can be cumbersome with multiple people trying to use the shower/tub and you needing to hang wet swim gear. 

38 minutes ago, kadmgs said:

Yes! The walls & doors of your cabin are magnetic, you can stick them anywhere. I also have magnetic clips that I use as well for stuff that won't hang on a hook. If you have a balcony, chair clips are great for drying their swim gear. I clip my rash guard to one of the chairs and its dry in about an hour. There is a clothes line in the bathroom that goes across the tub, but that can be cumbersome with multiple people trying to use the shower/tub and you needing to hang wet swim gear. 

Ahhh! Great tip! I have a balcony and the older kids have the interior across 😁. I can imagine if you don't clip things down they will easily be blown away! 

15 hours ago, Wanderlust876 said:

So, am I assuming correctly then with the mention of wifi that the ship has a slower version of some type of wifi, and if you want a faster streaming you buy the packages they offer? 

You can use the RC app for free with the ship's wifi. To do anything else that requires internet (incl. email, messaging, web browsing, streaming), you will need to purchase one of the packages.

12 minutes ago, KJones said:

You can use the RC app for free with the ship's wifi. To do anything else that requires internet (incl. email, messaging, web browsing, streaming), you will need to purchase one of the packages.

Pretty much.  Depending on your destination, you can always wait for port and look for free wi-fi if it is absolutely necessary.  We try to stay off grid while on vacation.  It is tough, but doable.

3 hours ago, kadmgs said:

If you have a balcony, chair clips are great for drying their swim gear. I clip my rash guard to one of the chairs and its dry in about an hour. There is a clothes line in the bathroom that goes across the tub, but that can be cumbersome with multiple people trying to use the shower/tub and you needing to hang wet swim gear. 

This may not be allowed due to fire hazard. You might want to check the rules on your ship before planning on this. We've never had a balcony but I've seen lots of discussion about balcony-drying on this forum.

4 hours ago, kadmgs said:

The walls & doors of your cabin are magnetic

Well... the walls and doors are made of metal and therefore you can affix a magnet to them. I also like to place a small item or picture stuck to the outside of the cabin door. This is just in case you come back from a late night of partying and need a little extra help finding your cabin. 😉