Royal Up and bad cabin

levib2

I've read that if your Royal Up bid gets selected, you are charged per person (up to 2) which I understand.  However, since you cannot pick your new cabin selection, wouldn't that be the same as getting a guaranteed cabin in the new category?  So if we won a bid for a junior suite, wouldn't there be a possibility that we may not like that location and would be "stuck with it"? I also seem to remember that not all junior suites are definitely not the same. 

Seems like too much of a gamble to pay extra.

I feel the same about Royal Up as I do when we book a Guaranteed cabin…I absolutely do not care where the cabin is.  Seriously…both my wife and I feel this way.  

With that in mind, I believe those who want their cabin to be in a specific place or don’t want a cabin in a specific place shouldn’t book Guarantees or bid on a Royal Up.  It seems like a recipe for unhappiness. 

2 hours ago, levib2 said:

I've read that if your Royal Up bid gets selected, you are charged per person (up to 2) which I understand.  However, since you cannot pick your new cabin selection, wouldn't that be the same as getting a guaranteed cabin in the new category?  So if we won a bid for a junior suite, wouldn't there be a possibility that we may not like that location and would be "stuck with it"? I also seem to remember that not all junior suites are definitely not the same. 

Seems like too much of a gamble to pay extra.

You would be better to have chosen the JS guarantee because you would be getting the extra Crown and Anchor points.  In either scenario, you are getting last choice of cabins in the class you are moving to.

Royal up is worth it if the price is right, and you feel that any JS is better than the category you are in.

The agreement you make is they will assign you the cabin and charge your card. You get no choice…except to not bid. What I do is check the deck plans of the ship to see if there are any cabins in the category that I’m bidding on that are in a bad location for me. If so…I may not bid on that category. It would be safer (peace of mind) to pay for the upgrade and choose the cabin. However, I always bid on Grand Suites and above. I don’t think I would turn my nose up at any Royal Star Loft Suite!…but, that’s just me.😏

12 minutes ago, KLA said:

I would argue in the case of a Junior suite, it’s a little bit harder to get a “bad” location 

Ditto on this....and the higher you go in cabin category the less you have to worry about "bad" locations.  There are more desirable locations but rarely a really bad location in the suites.  Such an example would be with the Star Loft Suites.  Half of these suites have views that look out over the aft towards the basketball courts and putt-putt golf.  Some people don't like this view/prefer the ocean view but for a good RoyalUp price are you really going to care THAT much ?

The only situation where I absolutely WOULD not bid on a RU is if you are already in a balcony cabin I would not recommend bidding on a different balcony cabin.  I have heard too many stories of people who were extremely disappointed in their cabin/location and did not feel like it was an upgrade at all.  IMO if you aren't going to bid up at least 1 cabin category, I would not do it....especially if you are happy with your current location.