The Wonder for Downunder

Hello RCB Community, we need your help. How do I start a petition so Royal can do a Transpacific and homeport the Wonder of the Seas in Sydney Australia for our summer season. Matt, this is your opportunity for a RCB Group cruise, 19 nights with Mr. Shotsberg sailing to beautiful Australia. I know Matt has Mr Fain ear, and he will take advice.

Let the Wonder be the first Oasis class to berth in Sydney. Come on guys, lets get behind the campaign for the Wonder for Downunder. The BBQ and beers are on me.     

With spectrum being home ported in Singapore  October 2022-April 2023 ,during the Australian  season.

That means it is replacing something? Probably a oasis class .

I’m thinking a oasis class (probably oasis or allure) will be home ported in Singapore and Brisbane.

Royal Caribbean will reduce its presence in China because of the turmoil and have spectrum there from May to September.

Royal's long term vision is for an Oasis class in Oz.  They just need more ports to get on board and get ready for larger ships.  Royal has been encouraging the industry to do that just that since before the pandemic. 

Petitioning Royal is a great idea but you might consider a parallel effort with your local ports and governments at the same time.  Destination ports as well.  She needs places to go.

If you build it she will come.  Infrastructure that is.  Build up the infrastructure so more ports can accommodate Oasis class.

46 minutes ago, mattymay said:

I'm assuming Perfect Day Lelepa was part of the grand plan to eventually bring an Oasis class to the region. I wonder what will happen with that now? It was originally scheduled for 2022.

Back burner waiting for brighter days.  Ships may be sailing on a limited basis in some regions but they are a long way from getting investors back to a happy place.  I'm betting Perfect Day Lelepa doesn't progress much until then.  

Oasis class downunder and PD Lelepa will probably happen one day.  However if destinations in the region and ports within Australia are suffering the same crush and blow to the balance sheet that will delay expansion to accommodate larger ships I think it just kicks the can down the road many more years into the future.  It will still happen, eventually, but ships are not sailing yet there and that has to happen before you can even think about picking up enough momentum to look at these kinds of investments and future changes being put back on the radar screen. 

The extended shutdown in the region doesn't bode well for the industry jumping back in the pool with both feet first and eyes closed.  It's going to take some time.  Baby steps.  Get ships sailing first.  See how the consumer base embraces the industry that was and still is being blamed.  Then they can consider long term plans for the region again.  That applies to the whole industry from the ports and the destinations to the cruise lines themselves.  The cruise lines are just one part of a larger industry. 

As much as cruising is making a comeback in places like the US they are still struggling to load ships here.  How will the Australian consumer respond once ships are given the clearance to sail?   If consumers are slower to embrace the industry downunder it's going to be a long time.  If consumers respond better than they have in the US it will come quicker.

There is much pent up demand to travel and Australia was one of the fastest growing markets in the world and per-capita, one of the highest. Now that the Prime Minister is talking about opening the boarder, and also locally our state of New South Wales Premier just resigned and the person to take her position will likely be the  Treasure, who has always been against lockdowns and wants the economy to open. All this may mean a Royal return in December. Silly for Carnival Corporation cancelling P&O, Carnival & Princess to mid January; but let's see.

The media hype with International travel re-starting in November is snow balling and everyone is talking about it. Whoo!

I personaly gave up hope for cruising locally so the wife and I are off to the US in early January for a series of cruises. If Royal does start locally in December then I will jump on it, but are not willing to book just yet, have more than enough FCC already and do not need to add more to the Royal coffers.   

If Lelepa had progressed a oasis class would be assured.

Nothing has happened on Lelepa ,only some foreign aid has put in a solar power system in for the village.

Theres more to Lelepa than Royal Caribbean and the private island.

5-6 years ago a front company for the Chinese navy was trying buy the island and leases of Havanah harbour.

Uncle Sam and the Australian government lobbied the vanuatu government to stop it but vanuatu wanted jobs and development.
Royal Caribbean suddenly appears and signs a long term lease. I believe the lease has conditions that it has to be developed.
I think the money will appear from somewhere.

Hobart ,Sydney,Brisbane  and Adelaide have upgraded their docks to handle a oasis class.

I believe Noumea,Tauranga and Picton could already  dock a oasis class.
 Auckland was talking about using  a industrial dock to the east of the cruise terminal ??? But that’s unknown.

Port Vila is unknown,I can’t find any details of it but Ovation and Quantum can dock there.

RCG must be confident about the Australian market,Celebrity Edge is confirmed for the 2023-2024 season.

9 hours ago, CruisingOz said:

I personally gave up hope for cruising locally so the wife and I are off to the US in early January for a series of cruises. If Royal does start locally in December then I will jump on it, but are not willing to book just yet, have more than enough FCC already and do not need to add more to the Royal coffers.   

Any chance of a live blog of US trip? Would love to hear about your experiences from OZ to US in this new covid world.

26 minutes ago, mattymay said:

Any chance of a live blog of US trip? Would love to hear about your experiences from OZ to US in this new covid world.

It would be something I have never done but open to the idea. Let me do some research into what / how to do it. Let me know what details you would like me to blog on

I still have a couple hurdles. I just read that the US does not recognise the Australian Astra Zeneca yet. I believe our government it working on it. I may need to go and get Pfizer shots if I don't hear anything by mid-November. Royal are okay with Astra. The other issue was Qantas cancelled my original flight last week, I assume it was because we had business class seats using only 198,000 points, and they were losing a lot of money. I knew it was too good to be true, so forced to re-book flights, and since I am upset with Qantas, I booked with Delta. At least they are flying in and out of Sydney all through the lockdown, so flights should be fine with a negative test.  

4 hours ago, CruisingOz said:

It would be something I have never done but open to the idea. Let me do some research into what / how to do it. Let me know what details you would like me to blog on

I still have a couple hurdles. I just read that the US does not recognise the Australian Astra Zeneca yet. I believe our government it working on it. I may need to go and get Pfizer shots if I don't hear anything by mid-November. Royal are okay with Astra. The other issue was Qantas cancelled my original flight last week, I assume it was because we had business class seats using only 198,000 points, and they were losing a lot of money. I knew it was too good to be true, so forced to re-book flights, and since I am upset with Qantas, I booked with Delta. At least they are flying in and out of Sydney all through the lockdown, so flights should be fine with a negative test.  

Just go to the Live Blog section on these forums and take a peek at a few.   

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

US hasn't authorized it for American citizens, but I'm not aware of anywhere where AZ wouldn't be recognized as vaccinated if you do have it.

Correct. US will accept vaccinations from both CDC-approved and WHO-approved lists. The only large group that is out of luck right now is the people who have received Sputnik V.