Jump to content

Royal Caribbean Vacation Protection Plan


Recommended Posts

When booking through Royal (either direct or online) there is an option to purchase their "Vacation protection plan" through Arch Insurance Solutions. Has anyone bought this before? I usually purchase travel insurance through Allianz but figured let me try this one since it was a booking that I had to make online real quick before transferring to my travel agent.

How does this work? Do we just print out the content/details on the link below and that is our insurance coverage?

https://www.archinsurancesolutions.com/coverage/Royal

I also have a 21 page PDF document where on Page 5 it shows the below. Is this same for everyone? Can't really "customize" the coverage from what I can tell. It wasn't cheap either at $149 for a 7-night cruise. Just want to make sure I am covered.

image.png.22ca4b2f07c9da054ae99906e7c58bdd.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since you are scheduling several cruises, just get an annual policy.  You should come out ahead by not needing to purchase individual coverage on a couple cruises and you'll also be covered for any other non-cruise trips you happen to take.  Great to have in your back pocket for any weather flight cancellation mishaps or road trips troubles more than 100 miles from home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, stevendom57 said:

Medical evacuation amount looks low to me. You can easily get some insurance for < $100 that has $500k for that.

Yeah that's the unfortunate thing, I shouldn't of bought this insurance. Allianz has better coverage (below) by default (the one I selected) for better pricing on another sailing. Going to see if I can cancel the one I originally bought after final payment online. Thanks.
 

image.thumb.png.5fbf96331abf1261a172c539b0f120b6.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Since you are scheduling several cruises, just get an annual policy.  You should come out ahead by not needing to purchase individual coverage on a couple cruises and you'll also be covered for any other non-cruise trips you happen to take.  Great to have in your back pocket for any weather flight cancellation mishaps or road trips troubles more than 100 miles from home.

I will have to look into that. How much is an annual plan do you know? I have 6 cruises remainder of 2021 and 2 in 2022 so far, 1 in 2023.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Cruising With JT said:

I will have to look into that. How much is an annual plan do you know? I have 6 cruises remainder of 2021 and 2 in 2022 so far, 1 in 2023.

Prices differ and mine is through Allianz as a FL resident.  Mine has been less than $500/year for just myself and includes basic coverages:

Quote

Trip Cancellation $5,000
Trip Interruption $5,000
Emergency Medical $50,000
Emergency Transportation $250,000
Baggage Loss/Damage $1,000
Baggage Delay $1,000
Travel Delay $1,600
Rental Car Damage and Theft Coverage $45,000
Business Equipment Coverage $1,000
Business Equipment Rental Coverage $1,000
Change Fee Coverage $500
Travel Accident Coverage $50,000
Loyalty Program Redeposit Fee Coverage $500

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Prices differ and mine is through Allianz as a FL resident.  Mine has been less than $500/year for just myself and includes basic coverages:

 

That looks pretty good. I am guessing the annual plan just sticks with you for any trip you take within the year? Now wondering if I can cancel any policies I already bought?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Cruising With JT said:

That looks pretty good. I am guessing the annual plan just sticks with you for any trip you take within the year? Now wondering if I can cancel any policies I already bought?

Yes it covers any trips you have from the policy effective date until a year later.  

If you have any health things going on, make sure you pay attention to the pre-existing conditions verbiage so you understand how far back your particular policy will look if there's a health issue you have to make a claim for. 

You should be able to cancel any policies you have already bought.  You just need to read the terms of them before canceling to make sure.  Sometimes it will be pro rata amount back if you cancel.  Most people don't consider that if something happened during the period they bought the policy to the present day, whether it be 2 years or 6 months before the cruise, some policies still have a cancelation insurance coverage piece.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Yes it covers any trips you have from the policy effective date until a year later.  

If you have any health things going on, make sure you pay attention to the pre-existing conditions verbiage so you understand how far back your particular policy will look if there's a health issue you have to make a claim for. 

You should be able to cancel any policies you have already bought.  You just need to read the terms of them before canceling to make sure.  Sometimes it will be pro rata amount back if you cancel.  Most people don't consider that if something happened during the period they bought the policy to the present day, whether it be 2 years or 6 months before the cruise, some policies still have a cancelation insurance coverage piece.

Great info, thank you! I have reached out to my agent to see what's possible. I will look at the cost of getting insurance for my cruises individually and then see if the annual cost is less with similar coverage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can cancel the travel protection plan with Royal up until final payment.  Once that date arrives you cannot cancel.  Also the price goes according to the cruise fare price you are paying.  When I booked my original cruise and kids travelled free, their price for travel protection was $29.  Those paying around $500 cruise fare was either $39 or $49.  As the cruise fare price increases...so does the travel protection price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you have health insurance through your employer you should check that as well. For my Alaska cruises my health insurance will cover any medical evacuation up to 1 million and health care is covered as usual depending if it's in network or out of network.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 12thman said:

If you have health insurance through your employer you should check that as well.

I checked with my private health insurance this morning. My insurance covers me internationally for emergency medical care and emergency medical evacuation. The only hiccup is that I may have to pay and then get reimbursed. Emergency only coverage is good enough for me. I doubt that I will be getting my annual physical in Rome before boarding my TA.

I have to say that I was only interested in separate travel insurance for the medical and evac part of the policy. I don't care about travel delays and lost baggage coverage. If you want that, you probably need to get separate travel insurance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 11:10 AM, stevendom57 said:

I have to say that I was only interested in separate travel insurance for the medical and evac part of the policy. I don't care about travel delays and lost baggage coverage. If you want that, you probably need to get separate travel insurance.

For those interested in just the medical coverage, there are annual policies out there just for that.  GEOBlue, Trawick, Allianz, and others have medical insurance and medivac coverage only, if that is what you are looking for.  We are looking into this ourselves.  And many of them now cover Covid as well. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...