Australia/NZ Cruising News

There is a good 'sale' on at the moment on the Aus website, just saved $800 on one cabin and $1400 on another by re-pricing a 22/23 Ovation booking I made in September. Check it out, you might save some cash. 

EDIT: Also $2200 on Quantum booking for Alaska 2023 which I booked last week.

What an over reaction to a variant health officials actually want people to catch to build herd immunity as the effects are no worse than the common flu. The Prime Minister was on local radio this afternoon saying Governments need to get out of peoples lives and we need to learn to live with Covid and borders should be opened. 

Okay, rant over, I know that Matt H. hate when the focus on the topic moves away from cruising.

Sad day for travellers. I was talking to my TA two days ago about how she was taking bookings for March on P&O and I said to her, she should simply try to extend the deposit period instead of taking money, as our worst fears are now reality.

We will not see Royal until October. If you have the means, Singapore is the go, great country and the cruises look like nice destinations.   

30 minutes ago, CruisingOz said:

What an over reaction to a variant health officials actually want people to catch to build herd immunity as the effects are no worse than the common flu. The Prime Minister was on local radio this afternoon saying Governments need to get out of peoples lives and we need to learn to live with Covid and borders should be opened. 

Okay, rant over, I know that Matt H. hate when the focus on the topic moves away from cruising.

Sad day for travellers. I was talking to my TA two days ago about how she was taking bookings for March on P&O and I said to her, she should simply try to extend the deposit period instead of taking money, as our worst fears are now reality.

We will not see Royal until October. If you have the means, Singapore is the go, great country and the cruises look like nice destinations.   

Yeh ,weren’t we supposed to start living with this virus.
The pore old agents are working for nothing ,you have to feel for them.

5 minutes ago, Chili said:

agents are working for nothing ,you have to feel for them.

Agree. TA's are working for nothing. The industry and CLIA need to promote more the fact that TA's do not cost you more to book through them. I booked my cruise and air through an agent who charged a service fee which is not the norm, but happy to pay a small fee for their time and effort. Poor guys spend their days on hold to airlines, travel insurance and cruise companies. My TA seems to spend her week just trying to help me get all my ducks in a row to finally holiday.

7 hours ago, mattymay said:

Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) - these guys have no clue! We're 90+% vaccinated for god's sake.

Starting to feel like even 22/23 won't happen at this stage.

yep   ,  Melbourne and Sydney have some of the highest vaccination rates in the world.
The thing is ,there’s predictions of a 4th wave around February as a result of the silly season and the vaccines waning .

So we should expect our fearless leaders to panic again in February.

I don’t know if anyone has noticed that Quantam’s sales out of Brisbane are very flat.

Ovation and Radiance out of Sydney for next season are filling up and prices are sky high.Where Quantam is about 30% cheaper and there seems there is plenty of cabins available.

Someone said you can get a JS on quantum cheaper than a balcony on Ovation.

I know Brisbane has a new cruise terminal but it’s still pretty ugly.

What happens if you can only get a early flight,you would be hanging around half the day.

55 minutes ago, Chili said:

I don’t know if anyone has noticed that Quantam’s sales out of Brisbane are very flat.

Ovation and Radiance out of Sydney for next season are filling up and prices are sky high.Where Quantam is about 30% cheaper and there seems there is plenty of cabins available.

Someone said you can get a JS on quantum cheaper than a balcony on Ovation.

I know Brisbane has a new cruise terminal but it’s still pretty ugly.

What happens if you can only get a early flight,you would be hanging around half the day.

For whatever reason Quantum sales drag behind Ovation in Alaska too.  At one point I had a JS on Quantum solo for $1,500 but I let it go to move to a 2D balcony for $600.  I couldn't justify 2.5 times the price to be in a JS even though the JS rate was really good.  I don't need the points and while I do like JS on this class, it's just a JS with no suite perks for me so all I get is a bigger, nicer cabin.

These rates are unheard of for Alaska.    

17 minutes ago, twangster said:

For whatever reason Quantum sales drag behind Ovation in Alaska too.  At one point I had a JS on Quantum solo for $1,500 but I let it go to move to a 2D balcony for $600.  I couldn't justify 2.5 times the price to be in a JS even though the JS rate was really good.  I don't need the points and while I do like JS on this class, it's just a JS with no suite perks for me so all I get is a bigger, nicer cabin.

These rates are unheard of for Alaska.    

That’s strange,they are basically the same ship.

I thought it may have been Brisbane being a smaller market and a ugly port,which is basically a industrial port.

If we ever got a oasis class,it is supposed to be a toss up between Sydney and Brisbane. I don’t think Brisbane would fill it especially if they are having trouble with quantum.

57 minutes ago, Chili said:

I thought it may have been Brisbane being a smaller market and a ugly port,which is basically a industrial port.

If we ever got a oasis class,it is supposed to be a toss up between Sydney and Brisbane. I don’t think Brisbane would fill it especially if they are having trouble with quantum.

Brisbane is kind of a new market I guess. If you think cruising in Australia you generally think of Sydney. Might take a few years to catch on.

I've booked short itinerary just to see what the experience is like from Brisbane. 

1 hour ago, Chili said:

I’ve booked quantum, but I’m based in qld so to not have to travel a day before and a day after a cruise is a big bonus for me with struggling to get days off work. 

But the only things I can think of is that Quantum is a slightly older ship (wouldn’t think that would make a huge difference) and was originally marketed towards the asian cruise market. Maybe people are unaware that it’s since been recently updated to suit western cruisers and is very similar to ovation now? 

1 hour ago, khas said:

I’ve booked quantum, but I’m based in qld so to not have to travel a day before and a day after a cruise is a big bonus for me with struggling to get days off work. 

But the only things I can think of is that Quantum is a slightly older ship (wouldn’t think that would make a huge difference) and was originally marketed towards the asian cruise market. Maybe people are unaware that it’s since been recently updated to suit western cruisers and is very similar to ovation now? 

It’s not a lot older and that wouldn’t bother me.

I believe Quantum started it’s life in Florida ? but I’m not sure about that.

2 hours ago, Chili said:

It’s not a lot older and that wouldn’t bother me.

I believe Quantum started it’s life in Florida ? but I’m not sure about that.

Briefly in Bayonne before being converted for China.  Stripped of her broadway show, etc, 

I agree, I've got her booked.  No issues for me and I'll take lower prices all day long.

12 hours ago, Chili said:

It was 2 years ago I was in a grand suite on voyager, I need a cruise.
NSW is predicting a big wave,Im wonder if October will be a goer?

The same for me (Voyager in a GS this time 2 years ago)...3 cancellations later I'm holding out for a suite this time next year on Ovation....If this Govt can open up sporting venues where people are cheek by jowl screaming for their heroes or nightclubs where a tin of sardines wouldn't envy the social distancing why are they so pig headed about cruising

20.gif

2 hours ago, Big Tule said:

The same for me (Voyager in a GS this time 2 years ago)...3 cancellations later I'm holding out for a suite this time next year on Ovation....If this Govt can open up sporting venues where people are cheek by jowl screaming for their heroes or nightclubs where a tin of sardines wouldn't envy the social distancing why are they so pig headed about cruising

20.gif

I was on the one that went up the QLD coast, voyager is getting very tired looking.

4 hours ago, Chili said:

I was on the one that went up the QLD coast, voyager is getting very tired looking.

Me too the 9 night Qld ...I enjoyed the cruise and the staff were wonderful  but I will not sail on Voyager again ....I agree with the tired comment ....our suite toilet blocked twice on our trip and it took a quite while for it to be attended to...the redo seemed more of a budget cutting exercise by adding/ slides and cabins without any basic maintenance

4 hours ago, Big Tule said:

Me too the 9 night Qld ...I enjoyed the cruise and the staff were wonderful  but I will not sail on Voyager again ....I agree with the tired comment ....our suite toilet blocked twice on our trip and it took a quite while for it to be attended to...the redo seemed more of a budget cutting exercise by adding/ slides and cabins without any basic maintenance

The dry dock was a joke , I still think about the ceiling in the suite lounge wasn’t painted properly and there was still masking tape hanging off it.

All they did was put more cabins in and increased the revenue. I would hate to see the condition of voyager after floating off Singapore for 18 months.

Do you remember Olha ? She made up for everything,the best Gin martini’s  that you could blow a stump out with.

16 hours ago, Chili said:

Do you remember Olha ? She made up for everything,the best Gin martini’s  that you could blow a stump out with.

How could I forget that delightful Ukrainian young lady ...what a gem , as I drank Martinis every night she was worth every bit of the tip she got from us at the end of the cruise