Staycation Cruises to Nowhere !! Lets Go RCG !!!

RCG can do these "Staycations". They only have to hit a foreign port once, for example,  by going to CocoCay and sea days galor. No one would mind ??

‐----‐-------------------

Cruise Line Announces Staycation Cruises to Nowhere This Summer

Ben SouzaBy Ben Souza from CruiseFever.com
March 3, 2021

P&O Cruises, one of Carnival Corporation’s nine cruise lines, will offer a series of short and week long cruises
from the UK this summer.  These “staycation” cruises will sail around UK waters and go on sale in March.
pobritannia.jpg Photo Credit: Brian Burnell Own work via Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0

P&O Cruises president Paul Ludlow said: “Following recent Government announcements and as the vaccine programme is rolled out across the globe we can all begin to feel a sense of reassurance and hope that this current lockdown period in the UK will come to an end. Life can, we hope, slowly return to some semblance of our previous normality as hospitality opens up and summer holidays can be booked with confidence.

“Whilst holidays here in the UK will be the first to become a reality we will, of course, gradually see the return of international travel but first we want guests to be able to enjoy a proper summer holiday at sea with the best in relaxation, entertainment and dining choice.

“These sailings will leave from our home port in Southampton and sail around UK coastal waters enjoying the summer sunshine. More details of dates, prices and the experience on board will be announced later this month, but they will, of course, all have flexibility so guests can book with confidence.

“We hope that the UK “ultimate escape” staycation option will have wide appeal and we will do our utmost to make it a very special time. There really will be something for everyone and the opportunity to spend precious and much-longed for time with family and friends.

“In order to offer these UK breaks it does mean that unfortunately we need to cancel some of our current published programme of holidays this summer. Cruises on Arcadia, Aurora, Azura and Ventura have been cancelled until the end of August and on Britannia and Iona until the end of September.

“We remain in very close contact with the UK Government and associated bodies as we monitor the latest situation and guidance on travel. From the moment we see travel restrictions lifting we will begin the significant logistical task to re-start our operations. It will take some time for the first ship to return to service, followed by the phased return of the remaining fleet. We cannot wait to welcome everyone back on board with the protection of effective protocols to safeguard the health and wellbeing of all crew and guests.

“I really am so sorry for the disappointment these cancellations will cause but hope that the new UK cruises will enable everyone to enjoy a wonderful holiday this summer.”

Guests who were booked on one of the canceled cruises can receive a full refund or a 125% Future Cruise Credit for any new booking made by December 2021.

Cruises to nowhere in the US are banned for foreign flagged ships by US Government policy, specifically immigration policy.

You should fix your title:

Lets Go USCIS !!!

The US government allowing cruises to nowhere would be a game changer for restarting the US based cruise industry.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Here are RCI thoughts on the UK cruises: 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/03/04/royal-caribbean-uk-boss-uk-only-cruises-have-limited-appeal

Royal Caribbean UK Boss: UK only cruises have "limited appeal"

One other issue raised unique to RC (and not P&O or Princess) is Anthem can't fit in that many UK ports.

On the start-up of cruises (any kind) from UK ports...... I read Matt's comments on this which pieced together quotes from various sources. Pure speculation on my part but here goes:

The UK is paralleling Israel's and the UAE's vaccine success in terms of shots in arms. This is a striking review of what Boris Johnson and his administration have accomplished so far. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55274833 

What struck me was that every UK entity has vaccinated over 90% of its over 65 population. Upwards of 30% of UK citizens have received at least one shot of a vaccine with the AZ vaccine leading the way. Given the rough estimates of actual infections being in the 30% range of total population together with data that supports previously infected people have some level of immunity to re-infection, that might mean the UK is approaching herd immunity. So, what might this mean?

Given RCL will start sailing Odyssey with revenue producing pax from Haifa, Israel in May, that signals to me that RCG will be looking to re-start cruising from whatever ports and on whatever itineraries/port calls in the countries that are rolling out vaccines the fastest. RCG will also look at accompanying declines in COVID metrics. Southampton comes immediately to mind with typical sailings East bound to St. Petersburg or North bound to Scandinavia having plenty of appeal. Another interesting port of possibility? Amsterdam in the Netherlands.....a country paralleling the US COVID experience with, IMIO, a much more relaxed and practical approach to pandemic risks.

Will there be a vaccination requirement to travel internationally and within Europe for US passport holders to get to a cruise port? You read it in Matt's post: "there will probably be a hybrid model (for boarding) using testing and (proof of) vaccination.

OK, I'll admit, I have a bias for this argument. My wife and I have both been fully vaccinated. I recently booked a Celebrity Reflection 7n cruise out of Amsterdam that departs July 11th and travels to 4 Norwegian ports. Crazy? Maybe but ..... if you've been reading my posts you know (1) I am a fact and science based optimist. (2) I am a strong re-opening advocate. I'm also a bit of a risk taker and am putting my money where my mouth is.

My take on the global pandemic is this: in Asia, North America, Western & parts of Eastern Europe - the EU states in general, falling COVID metrics, in conjunction with increasing numbers of vaccinated citizens in those places, will precipitate easing COVID related mobility and social contact restrictions. I predict this based on my view that these governments being more sensitive to and favorably disposed to re-opening of businesses in the travel and leisure sector, will do so.  Governments not so disposed, e.g., Australia and New Zealand will probably hold back on re-opening. Fair enough. 

If you want data that supports that view, go here: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus#coronavirus-country-profiles then select a country of interest and explore the data that interests you. Look here  https://covid19.healthdata.org/global?view=infections-testing&tab=trend&test=infections for projections of the various data sets - COVID metrics globally or by country - into the early summer. By that time, SARS-2 won't be eradicated but it's disease burden and it's economic and social impact will (or should have baring politics) declined substantially. JUNE!!!

If what I am predicting among others who know a lot more about SARS-2 than I do, in 60d (first week in May), you won't be able to book air travel, a hotel or a cruise because agents will be swamped with bookings, prices will skyrocket and availability for the best of them will dwindle rapidly.  We'll see, I guess, but don't wait a whole lot longer to book if you feel comfortable traveling in what will amount to a lowered risk, post pandemic environment and want to get to it.

I've predicted sharp declines in pandemic metrics as vaccines reach saturation levels in countries likely to host restarts of cruising. Based on that, I have four cruises booked going into December, two involving ports in Europe, two out of FL to the Caribbean. I'm prepared mentally for all of them to get cancelled and offered readers here to come back and pat me on the back or shoot me in 2 months time as I'm completing pre-boarding tasks for my next booked cruise in June.

The Australian Government is just lazy and have bundled cruise ships in with international travel bans, even though there is huge potential for domestic cruising.

Football season starts in a few weeks, with 50% stadium capacity, so that means at some games you will have 50,000 people attend with zero health protocols. Yet you can't go a ship with 1000 people after testing negative.  Total BS.