Royal Caribbean Blog

Required Covid vaccine not legal?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man, pretty disappointed to see this level of anti masking and anti vaxing. Wouldve expected it on carnival, but thought RCL was better. Hopefully Celebrity is better, or perhaps cruising just attract

but none of that applies to a private business As  private business I could require you to do hand springs to enter my establishment as long I did not discriminate on race; age; sex(or lack there

I had one as a kid.. When I enlisted in the Army they tore it up and gave me everything all over again lol 🙂

Posted Images

2 hours ago, LizzyBee23 said:

An interesting question, but probably moot as the two vaccines being used in the US will probably have all of the data they need to file for full approval by April and May.

According to the article the FDA grants approval based on the outcomes of the trials. These trials won’t end for about 2 more years. 

Hopefully by then this dang virus will be well under control 

6 hours ago, Jill said:

According to the article the FDA grants approval based on the outcomes of the trials. These trials won’t end for about 2 more years. 

Hopefully by then this dang virus will be well under control

I'm not proving you wrong to be snarky, just to correct the misconception:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idINKBN28K2Z5

It's easy to get confused about this... The efficacy trials have what you could call "no later than" dates associated with them to determine efficacy (which would only come into play if there were very few cases and the effect was hard to determine, ie the vaccine wasn't effective), and generally speaking companies will continue to collect safety data and anything else deemed relevant during that time even though it isn't necessary to grant full approval (though the FDA may require it, if that makes sense). Pfizer is planning to file for full approval this April.

On 2/24/2021 at 2:23 AM, Jill said:

According to this article, a vaccine that has not been approved cannot be required by law. Currently the Covid vaccines are under EUA: Emergency Use Authorization. 

Interesting......

https://www.statnews.com/2021/02/23/federal-law-prohibits-employers-and-others-from-requiring-vaccination-with-a-covid-19-vaccine-distributed-under-an-eua/

This clearly relates to employees of companies only not customers...

Its like a restaurant or a nightclub..yes you can make a reservation but when you turn up they can refuse entry if you're not dressed properly or appear intoxicated. 

So what this means in relation to vaccine is that companies ( we will say RC ) employees dont have to agree to get the vaccine, however given the fact most are on rolling contracts those that refuse probably won't get contract renewed. 

With regards customers whatever rules RC apply we have to adhere to, if we are not happy with them then we just dont book and allow someone wanting to cruise no matter the restrictions the chance. 

In reference to requiring employees to be vaccinated.

What most of us forget is that in the US ~80% of employees are "At Will"

In U.S. labor law, at-will employment is an employer's ability to dismiss an employee for any reason (that is, without having to establish "just cause" for termination), and without warning, as long as the reason is not illegal (e.g. firing because of the employee's race, religion or sexuality).

Maybe ya just can't tell them that's why they are fired, they still are fired

On 2/27/2021 at 3:27 PM, DD474 said:

Yes... Same Here... I enlisted back in the 70s..🤒  Seemed like a good idea at the time. 

I’m guessing the DD474 was the Navy destroyer you were on. My dad spent 23 years in the Navy mostly on destroyers. My first “cruise” was a 2 week trip to Japan with my family on a troop ship where we lived for a few years in Yokohama. We had to get several shots before we went overseas. Then I joined the Navy at got more shots. 

14 hours ago, GaryAA said:

I’m guessing the DD474 was the Navy destroyer you were on. My dad spent 23 years in the Navy mostly on destroyers. My first “cruise” was a 2 week trip to Japan with my family on a troop ship where we lived for a few years in Yokohama. We had to get several shots before we went overseas. Then I joined the Navy at got more shots. 

WOW.. 😃 What an interesting guess... I had no idea that DD474 was a Fletcher-class destroyer.  USS FULLAM (DD-474). Launched in the Boston Navy Yard on 16 April 1942.  Being that I was born and raised in Boston, it would be a great guess.   BUT the "DD" stands for Drew and Donna.🤔  "474" is my home street number.   That is so Funny.        I was actually in the Air Force, I was assigned to NORAD (25th ADS) McCord AFB - State of Washington.  🙂  LOL..

When I was young we had an immunization record to show our vaccination status for things like polio, TB, Plague, etc. Later the military gave us a Shot Record for every member of our family. Remember, there was no electronic system before the last 20 or so years. My military shot record was a part of our official personnel record and our health record. 

1 hour ago, rjweber3 said:

Later the military gave us a Shot Record for every member of our family. Remember, there was no electronic system before the last 20 or so years. My military shot record was a part of our official personnel record and our health record. 

The little yellow booklet!

SRecord.jpg

7 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Are you far enough back to get the "air gun", or did you get the needle?

I definitely remember the air gun in boot camp and before my first deployment.....but after that, my memories are kind of blurry.  My first 6 month WestPac deployment turned into 19 months thanks to Desert Shield/Storm.  I came back, drank a lot, and was sent back over with another detachment after a few months so I'd stay out of trouble.

6 minutes ago, SPS said:

BOTH!!! Depended on the shot being given and where it was being given.

("Where" could men either the facility or body part being injected! 😆)

Same here - I remember all of us being sick by the time we got through the entire line, but filled out a lot of that yellow book for awhile.

2 hours ago, rjweber3 said:

Airguns. One on each side. "Take one step forward and do not Move!" Several fainted at some point and many had blood running down their arms. All went into our Shot record. 

Boy does this bring back memories.  We were all air guns except for when we got stuck for smallpox just after 9/11.

2 hours ago, cruisellama said:

I'm extremely sad that '97 is now "far enough back." ☹️ Looks like I got in just under the wire.  Yay for me? 

9 hours ago, DD474 said:

WOW.. 😃 What an interesting guess... I had no idea that DD474 was a Fletcher-class destroyer.  USS FULLAM (DD-474). Launched in the Boston Navy Yard on 16 April 1942.  Being that I was born and raised in Boston, it would be a great guess.   BUT the "DD" stands for Drew and Donna.🤔  "474" is my home street number.   That is so Funny.        I was actually in the Air Force, I was assigned to NORAD (25th ADS) McCord AFB - State of Washington.  🙂  LOL..

That is funny. Another reason not assume things. Although I was in the Navy, I participated in joint exercises at a Nellis AFB in Las Vegas. Top Gun vs Red Flag

18 hours ago, cruisellama said:

I was in Basic Training in 1978 and got the Air Gun.🤒

If you moved...It actually cut your arm..😬 (Ahhh)