Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Cruise with Confidence Expiry Extension


Recommended Posts

I totally missed when this happened but they extended the expiry to September 2022... @Matt was there a post about this and I totally missed it?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-with-confidence

Edit:  this must have just happened yesterday because I got a new FCC from cancelling under CWC on Monday and it still has an expiry of April 2022. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it did happen yesterday, it would be nice that they update:

Quote

As of May 6, 2020, our enhanced Cruise with Confidence program gives you even more flexibility.

Maybe they don't consider it an update to the CWC but it would get people to look closer and be a bit more transparent.  Also, a little history of the changes would be nice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I totally missed when this happened but they extended the expiry to September 2022... @Matt was there a post about this and I totally missed it?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-with-confidence

Edit:  this must have just happened yesterday because I got a new FCC from cancelling under CWC on Monday and it still has an expiry of April 2022. 

glad they made the extension 

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

glad they made the extension 

I am too, but what I really need is for them to make it stackable.  With all these cancellations, I've tried to shift whatever I can, but I am starting to accumulate too many FCCs in small amounts from deposits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I totally missed when this happened but they extended the expiry to September 2022... @Matt was there a post about this and I totally missed it?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-with-confidence

Edit:  this must have just happened yesterday because I got a new FCC from cancelling under CWC on Monday and it still has an expiry of April 2022. 

Just a hypothetical question but I suspect it is a real world dilemma. What if for instance you have a FCC applied to an Alaska cruise in August 2021.  It doesn't seem like I can L&S that cruise to 2022 because L&S doesn't seem like it has been extended.

However, it would seem like I could cancel the 2021 Alaska cruise, get the FCC reissued, and then reapply the FCC to the 2022 Alaska cruise.  But, I would have to do this before January 31, 2021.   This is just too confusing!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

However, it would seem like I could cancel the 2021 Alaska cruise, get the FCC reissued, and then reapply the FCC to the 2022 Alaska cruise.  But, I would have to do this before January 31, 2021.    This is just too confusing!  

You totally can do that.  That is what I did earlier when I booked a Europe 2022 sailing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

You totally can do that.  That is what I did earlier when I booked a Europe 2022 sailing.

But I want to price protect it because I think the Alaska cruise in 2022 will be $2,000 more that the one I currently have.  My FCC is only $2,000 so that will only pay for the price increase.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

But I want to price protect it because I think the Alaska cruise in 2022 will be $2000 more that the one I currently have.  My FCC is only $2000 so that will just pay for the price increase.

Unfortunately, no way to price protect other than L&S at the moment, which they have not extended yet.  Why not hold off for a bit and see if they will extend L&S (which I bet they will) and then move it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Unfortunately, no way to price protect other than L&S at the moment, which they have not extended yet.  Why not hold off for a bit and see if they will extend L&S (which I bet they will) and then move it?

I wonder when my FCC will actually expire.  It would seem that IF I don't have any cruise to apply it to pretty soon it might go poof and disappear.  I don't see that they have extended expiration dates on FCCs.  Or maybe they have ... I don't know for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

I wonder when my FCC will actually expire.  It would seem that IF I don't have any cruise to apply it to pretty soon it might go poof and disappear.  I don't see that they have extended expiration dates on FCCs either.  Or maybe they have ... I don't know for sure.

That was my original post in this thread. Looks like they did extend the FCC expiry. To September 2022.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Unfortunately, no way to price protect other than L&S at the moment, which they have not extended yet.  Why not hold off for a bit and see if they will extend L&S (which I bet they will) and then move it?

I wonder how it works if final payment has been made before L&S is extended?

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, CFL said:

I wonder how it works if final payment has been made before L&S is extended?

5 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I think this happened to @JLMoran. I will let him elaborate on it.

I think in my case, L&S wasn't even an option until after final payment date. But let's assume it's the same.

You can do the L&S, but because you're after final payment it will carry over whatever cancellation penalty you were at on the original cruise. So you can change your mind post-L&S and just cancel the new booking, but will forfeit the same amount you'd have forfeited if you just canceled the original cruise booking before Royal had done it.

It might be better to just cancel the current booking if Royal is now offering 100% cash back with no penalty. If you have a good option for 2022 to L&S into, I think '22 is a pretty good bet to happen. But don't rush it, and decide whether you're better off taking the L&S option (which should still give you price protection from the '21 sailing into '22) or just getting a full refund and changing to a '22 sailing on a different date that you think is better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Unfortunately, no way to price protect other than L&S at the moment, which they have not extended yet.  Why not hold off for a bit and see if they will extend L&S (which I bet they will) and then move it?

I suspect the final payment date for Alaska sailings will arrive sooner than the L&S announcement. 😞

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I think in my case, L&S wasn't even an option until after final payment date. But let's assume it's the same.

You can do the L&S, but because you're after final payment it will carry over whatever cancellation penalty you were at on the original cruise. So you can change your mind post-L&S and just cancel the new booking, but will forfeit the same amount you'd have forfeited if you just canceled the original cruise booking before Royal had done it.

It might be better to just cancel the current booking if Royal is now offering 100% cash back with no penalty. If you have a good option for 2022 to L&S into, I think '22 is a pretty good bet to happen. But don't rush it, and decide whether you're better off taking the L&S option (which should still give you price protection from the '21 sailing into '22) or just getting a full refund and changing to a '22 sailing on a different date that you think is better.

Thanks for the info!  I've got some thinking to do...  So if I lift & shift to 2022 and assuming I've already made final payment, Royal holds on to my full payment for a whole year right?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CFL said:

Thanks for the info!  I've got some thinking to do...  So if I lift & shift to 2022 and assuming I've already made final payment, Royal holds on to my full payment for a whole year right?  

Exactly. If you're OK with that and it's a sailing you really wanted, and the '22 option is basically the same, then no harm. But if that's money you could use for something else now, and you're OK with whatever price change is there in the '22 option or other near-date options, and you can pay that off over time or lump-sum in '22, then taking the refund if offered with no penalty could be better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I think in my case, L&S wasn't even an option until after final payment date. But let's assume it's the same.

You can do the L&S, but because you're after final payment it will carry over whatever cancellation penalty you were at on the original cruise. So you can change your mind post-L&S and just cancel the new booking, but will forfeit the same amount you'd have forfeited if you just canceled the original cruise booking before Royal had done it.

For this reason, I now avoid doing a L&S after the final payment date.  Be careful if you have a refundable cruise that you are doing a L&S on.  I didn't notice that it got lifted and shifted into a nonrefundable cruise.  They did apologize for the error however, they couldn't change it.  They could only assure me that it was "documented" in the system that it was refundable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

For this reason, I now avoid doing a L&S after the final payment date.  Be careful if you have a refundable cruise that you are doing a L&S on.  I didn't notice that it got lifted and shifted into a nonrefundable cruise.  They did apologize for the error however, they couldn't change it.  They could only assure me that it was "documented" in the system that it was refundable.

In that regard, I got doubly lucky. When I did the L&S on my Celebrity sailing, I got confirmation it was still refundable and my TA got written confirmation from a senior rep that I would be able to cancel without penalty. This was back when L&S was still almost brand-new, so the policies weren't fully locked down and whatever rep my TA spoke to I guess hadn't yet gotten the latest memo. I was able to take advantage of that to get a 100% refund without penalty when I then decided to cancel the shifted booking, because I had zero confidence at that point that even the L&S sailing would go.

Hate to say it, but that continues to look like the right call. 😞 Doubtful that August Iceland and Greenland sailing out of Bayonne, which is 14 nights and has two stops in Canada, will actually set sail. Between the sailing length and those Canadian stops, it just seems doomed to cancellation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...