Which dinner time is best?

Simpsonx2

The shows are scheduled so it doesn't matter when you eat dinner.  On Oasis-class, you would reserve your show times in advance, so you could plan around your dinner schedule.  On smaller ships there are typically two nightly shows to accommodate early seating or late seating.  The real risk for me in eating late, is that I get hungry in the afternoon and my snack too much.  That said, I am thinking of changing to the late seating on future cruises for a different reason:  shore excursions.  On some itineraries, the fun excursions get back late so it is hard to make the early seating. 

One option you have now is to peruse the donated Cruise Compasses to get an idea of show times.  Just check the header at the top of this page.

In our reservation we selected My Time Dining and when the shows were scheduled, we make the dinner reservations in different times, so we could see the shows in the scheduled time. The My Time Dining is a great option. In other cruises (Mediterranean) we choosed a fixed time for dining (the late), but in our next cruise (next week... very nervous!!!) we'll try My Time Dining.

9 hours ago, Hoski said:

Select My Time Dining and then make your dinner reservations around the shows you want to see but really the shows and dinners are set up so you can do both.

3 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Early seating is too early, late seating is too late - MTD is the way to go, IMO

Definitely the way to go.

Another vote for My Time Dining. We scheduled 6:00 PM for 5 of the 7 evenings and later times (between 7:00-7:30 PM) on two of the port days. Planned entertainment accordingly (all afternoon and 8:00-8:30 PM shows). We had the same amazing server team and a window table for four the entire cruise so absolutely no downside vs. Traditional Dining (we prefer My Time Dining).

We may try a little earlier (5:30 PM or so) next time for even more time between dinner and the shows. We had no problem with 6:00 PM because we purchased the Key and only had to arrive 15 minutes before the show, but it may be a little tight for 8:00 PM shows with a 6:00 PM reservation w/o the Key. Remember, if necessary, you can always let your waiter know that you have an 8:00 PM show and they will move things along!

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Joseph Del Sontro said:

I chose MTD and waited to long before making reservations. The only time slots available are 8:30 and later so i chose 8:30. if we decide to walk up at 7:00 about how long of a wait is it usually with no reservations? also, with the MTD where will we be seated? what dinning room do My Time Dining cruisers dine in?

I would imagine that you wouldn't have to wait more than 15-20 minutes to be seated usually. It very much depends on how many people are in line.  As far as which dining room you will be in with MTD, it depends on the ship. Often traditional dining will be on one floor of the ship with MTD on the other floor.  You'd be seated wherever they have room for your party.  The smaller table you need, the quicker you will be seated, typically.  You can also check with the dining room on embarkation day, or through the Royal Caribbean app, and see if anything has become available.  Enjoy your cruise!

On 6/27/2019 at 5:16 PM, Simpsonx2 said:

I choose 8:30 but wondering if I will miss shows and entertainment. Can I switch on days with early entertainment? This is my first cruise!

One thought is whether you want your dining experience to be private or shared with others.  We have tried MTD and traditional, and prefer traditional because we ask for a "group" table and get to know other couples or families.  It is something we seek as part of our cruise experience.  The show times aren't the issue for us, although they are admittedly more complicated on the larger ships as I indicated earlier.   A lot of cruise guests want an "efficient" meal rather than the lingering conversation with table mates, so they select the WJ, which is less crowded at dinner. 

It's not a matter of which dining time is better so much as a question of what sort of dining experience you are seeking.  Make sense?

2 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

One thought is whether you want your dining experience to be private or shared with others.  We have tried MTD and traditional, and prefer traditional because we ask for a "group" table and get to know other couples or families.  It is something we seek as part of our cruise experience.

I typically agree with this and have fun meeting people but I have had some bad experienced in the past few cruises.

One i was put with some 20 somethings who were trashed every night at dinner, showed up in inappropriate attire (swim cover ups, tank tops) this made for a very difficult week.  Last cruise I was put with families who were great but they must have thought the 8 pm was only a suggestion as some of the family would stroll in around 8:30 because the wife would say "Dad and Kids are on their way......".  The issue with that is the wait staff typically waits until everyone is there to take all of the orders but I try to be very prompt so it turns into a longer wait for me and a extremely long dinner.

I kinda wish it was like in germany, communal tables are great but you just order and eat at your leisure and talk to the people at your table.

I usually choose based on the itinerary and the company I am keeping. European/multistep then I choose later MDR. Caribbean trip/beach stops, with younger family then early.  A few things to think about: When choosing later dinning I will often check out WJ earlier and see what's of interest and likely pick out a few(?) things to nibble on. If I choose early then often I visit WJ later for a snack or coffee and desert. I am Diamond level so now I usually do a later dining so I can enjoy the lounge or Piano Bar, as usually the lounge is clearing out by 6:00 for others going to early seating dinner.  Both options have plus's and minus's. 

Team Late Dining.  Tradition dining where you can meet new people  and have dinner together every night with the same wait staff. Early dining would rush things on port days or even miss dinner on port days. You get back on board, relax a little go get a snack/Pre-Dinner as Matt would say. It's also better for formal night. You'll have time for pictures and to meet the Captain if you wish.