Jump to content
GWENSEL

Hotel options in Fort Lauderdale which do you prefer?

Recommended Posts

Hi, I have blocked 2 hotels in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise and would like some feedback about them. One of them is Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Boulevard and the other is the Holiday Inn Express Fort Lauderdale - Cruise Airport on 17th Street Causeway.

Tell me which would be your preferred hotel for a 2 nights pre-cruise stay and why ? TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, GWENSEL said:

Hi, I have blocked 2 hotels in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise and would like some feedback about them. One of them is Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Boulevard and the other is the Holiday Inn Express Fort Lauderdale - Cruise Airport on 17th Street Causeway.

Tell me which would be your preferred hotel for a 2 nights pre-cruise stay and why ? TIA

Can I throw out another option for you to consider? The Best Western Plus Oceanside Inn on Seabreeze. We stayed there for 3 nights two years ago and will be staying again this coming November. We like it because of the location very close to the beach and with plenty of shops and eating places in walking distance. It's on the sun trolley route and there's a water taxi stop in walking distance. Also, there is a very decent buffet breakfast included in the price. If you are a member of the BW rewards scheme you can get a bit if a discount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad usually stays at the Embassy Suites by Hilton on A1A, and we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on A1A.  We like that location because there's a Starbucks almost across the street 😄  Both had decent breakfasts, but Embassy had some kinda little 5-8 happy hour.  We could snack enough there to be good for dinner.  You can also get an Uber or something to hit the beach or go somewhere.  We have looked at the BW mentioned by @FionaMG, but wanted to be a little closer to the cruise port (#cough Starbucks #cough).   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GWENSEL said:

Hi, I have blocked 2 hotels in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise and would like some feedback about them. One of them is Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Boulevard and the other is the Holiday Inn Express Fort Lauderdale - Cruise Airport on 17th Street Causeway.

Tell me which would be your preferred hotel for a 2 nights pre-cruise stay and why ? TIA

Personally, I wouldn’t stay at either (just as personal preference) but since you have listed the (2) above then here you go:

1. Riverside hotel is a historic hotel which was renovated not too long ago. The most appealing thing about this hotel is it’s prime location on Las Olas Blvd. For dinner or drinks you are surrounded by many different options to choose from. There’s a hotel bar and restaurant called “boathouse” located In the rear of the property directly on the new river which is a pretty nice spot to see all the boat action on the river while dining. Your still about a mile from Fort Lauderdale beach and there is a water taxi stop adjacent to the hotel property which is nice. 10 minute Uber to Port. Overall good location, older hotel.

2. Holiday Inn 17th street. I don’t necessarily see how this hotel is grouped in with the Riverside as far as comparison but it’s your basic Holiday Inn Express. No matter where you go in the country they are pretty much consistently the same. The location on 17th street is across the street from Starbucks, Einstein Bagels, La Spada Subs, Panera Bread, Burger Fi, Boatyard, Southport Raw Bar, Kelly’s Landing, PDQ, Mcsorleys Irish Bar exc exc exc. On the same side of the street you have the Harbour Shoppes including Publix, Total Wine, TJ Max, Duffy’s sports bar and grill, Gilbert’s restaurant, Manhattan pizza, Carlos and Pepe’s, La Bamba, Joe’s Diner, Carrabas, Indian Harbour, lunchroom exc exc. You are a 5 minute Uber from the beach and from the cruise port. 

 

Given these 2 choices I think Riverside Hotel is your better option of the two but if the price is not a concern then I would urge you to seek other options. Try a nice resort on Fort Lauderdale Beach to get the real Fort Lauderdale experience. I prefer Conrad Fort Lauderdale Beach, W FLB, Hilton FLB & Atlantic Hotel. Marriott Harbor Beach is pretty awesome as well (think beach, lounge chair and a flag you plant in the sand every time you would like your beach attendant to bring you another drink). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Between your two choices, I would say Holiday Inn on 17th street. It has a new section and is closer to the port. We stayed there in March. See my blog (link in signature below) for pics. I don’t love that hotel, but with kids, it is sufficient for a one night pre-cruise stay.

I agree with @tiny260. I like Renaissance much better. We have stayed there before too. No complimentary breakfast there so I won’t stay there if I have my kids with me. 

We have also done Hyatt Place on 17th street. Nice place but a bit older and dated. Again, sufficient for a one night stay. The good thing about this hotel is that they rooms are huge as most of them sleep 6.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all. Since this is my first visit to Fort Lauderdale, I will probably go with Riverside Hotel since it is in a prime location and gives me an opportunity to see a bit of the city as well. The water taxi and trolleys will allow me to check out the beach and the waterways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am staying in the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport / Cruise located on State Road 84.  I know it is not as close to the Cruise Port as the other Holiday Inn, but I wanted to know if anyone stayed there and their experience.  TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, VinceC said:

I am staying in the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport / Cruise located on State Road 84.  I heard it is not as close to the Cruise Port as the other Holiday In, but I wanted to know if anyone stayed there and their experience.  TIA

I have no personal experience with that one, but I just want to throw out that I personally like being a bit away from the port area. We usually fly in, grab a rental car at the airport, stay wherever we want in the area (generally cheaper and offsets the car rental/gas), and then have a car to go wherever we want. The next morning, we drop it off at the port and the shuttle takes us straight to the ship. The flexibility of having the car and going wherever we want is awfully nice, and as a result we never really have a desire or need to stay near the port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zacharius said:

I have no personal experience with that one, but I just want to throw out that I personally like being a bit away from the port area. We usually fly in, grab a rental car at the airport, stay wherever we want in the area (generally cheaper and offsets the car rental/gas), and then have a car to go wherever we want. The next morning, we drop it off at the port and the shuttle takes us straight to the ship. The flexibility of having the car and going wherever we want is awfully nice, and as a result we never really have a desire or need to stay near the port.

Ha - you're brave 🙂  We fly in the day before our cruises but prefer to walk most everywhere or get an Uber.  The thought of me trying to navigate in an unknown area and not get lost would stress me out - lol ... plus, trying to get a rental back the day we board our cruise ... yeah - I already stress myself out with being so anxious to get from the hotel to the port and on the cruise with everything and everyone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TheHobbys said:

Ha - you're brave 🙂  We fly in the day before our cruises but prefer to walk most everywhere or get an Uber.  The thought of me trying to navigate in an unknown area and not get lost would stress me out - lol ... plus, trying to get a rental back the day we board our cruise ... yeah - I already stress myself out with being so anxious to get from the hotel to the port and on the cruise with everything and everyone

I travel for a living and am always in weird and bizarre places, so trying to navigate the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Area is easy and straight forward to me. Plus, returning the car at the port there is super easy...took all of five-to-seven minutes last time to drop the car, get on the bus, and be at the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheHobbys said:

Ha - you're brave 🙂  We fly in the day before our cruises but prefer to walk most everywhere or get an Uber.  The thought of me trying to navigate in an unknown area and not get lost would stress me out - lol ... plus, trying to get a rental back the day we board our cruise ... yeah - I already stress myself out with being so anxious to get from the hotel to the port and on the cruise with everything and everyone

You drop me at any location on planet earth and as long as I have my iPhone in hand it’s as familiar as being home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, VinceC said:

I am staying in the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport / Cruise located on State Road 84.  I know it is not as close to the Cruise Port as the other Holiday Inn, but I wanted to know if anyone stayed there and their experience.  TIA

SR-84 is busy and not as walkable as 17th street (and certainly not Las Olas), hence the lower price point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are going down for a second cruise in June and staying at the Hilton marina.  It’s has a water taxi right outside and is easy Uber to get to the beach or las olas.  It’s only .9 to la Bamba, where @Lovetocruise2002 Has convinced me to go the night we arrive!  When we get back we are staying 3 days and doing an Airbnb right on the beach.  Jane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

We are going down for a second cruise in June and staying at the Hilton marina.  It’s has a water taxi right outside and is easy Uber to get to the beach or las olas.  It’s only .9 to la Bamba, where @Lovetocruise2002 Has convinced me to go the night we arrive!  When we get back we are staying 3 days and doing an Airbnb right on the beach.  Jane

Great spot! Try for a high floor looking South @ you will see your ship in port in am. La Bamba is great, enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tonyfsu21 said:

Great spot! Try for a high floor looking South @ you will see your ship in port in am. La Bamba is great, enjoy.

The last time we stayed...I think possibly at your recommendation because you were a ton of help...we had the corner balcony and we could see the ships and the canal.  Requested same type room again so hoping!!   I drooled looking at Sabrina’s pics of la bamba so I am pumped!!  Jane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

The last time we stayed...I think possibly at your recommendation because you were a ton of help...we had the corner balcony and we could see the ships and the canal.  Requested same type room again so hoping!!   I drooled looking at Sabrina’s pics of la bamba so I am pumped!!  Jane

Awesome. Let me know if you have any questions or need some recommendations before your next trip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Awesome. Let me know if you have any questions or need some recommendations before your next trip. 

Ok...I will take you up on this...just an opinion since we have already booked with Airbnb.  We booked an Airbnb in the ocean manor beach resort for the 3 days we are back.  Just looking to relax on the beach and chill.  Do you know anything about the resort or that area?  Looking for restaurants or is it just easier to Uber somewhere?  Jane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

Ok...I will take you up on this...just an opinion since we have already booked with Airbnb.  We booked an Airbnb in the ocean manor beach resort for the 3 days we are back.  Just looking to relax on the beach and chill.  Do you know anything about the resort or that area?  Looking for restaurants or is it just easier to Uber somewhere?  Jane

Yes, I am familiar with the ocean manor resort and I think you made a good choice. Your located on A1A between Oakland Park Blvd and Commercial Blvd (Lauderdale by the sea). You will be located right on the ocean which will be great for relaxing during the day. Aruba’s at Commercial & A1A is always a fun time and a spot to grab lunch or dinner. Cafe Martoranos is at Oakland park and A1A and is quite the experience for an awesome Italian dinner. We ALWAYS go to Greek Islands Taverna which is legit Greek and an absolute must if you enjoy Greek food. Uber to Bokampers on Oakland Park and intracoastal if your into sports bars, this place is right on the water so you can watch all the action on the waterway and enjoy really good food (the chicken wings are great!). Overall the ocean manor should provide you great value for your money as your far enough North to be out of “Fort Lauderdale beach proper” and overpriced chain resorts but yet close enough to enjoy all the area has to offer. Enjoy!

-Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Yes, I am familiar with the ocean manor resort and I think you made a good choice. Your located on A1A between Oakland Park Blvd and Commercial Blvd (Lauderdale by the sea). You will be located right on the ocean which will be great for relaxing during the day. Aruba’s at Commercial & A1A is always a fun time and a spot to grab lunch or dinner. Cafe Martoranos is at Oakland park and A1A and is quite the experience for an awesome Italian dinner. We ALWAYS go to Greek Islands Taverna which is legit Greek and an absolute must if you enjoy Greek food. Uber to Bokampers on Oakland Park and intracoastal if your into sports bars, this place is right on the water so you can watch all the action on the waterway and enjoy really good food (the chicken wings are great!). Overall the ocean manor should provide you great value for your money as your far enough North to be out of “Fort Lauderdale beach proper” and overpriced chain resorts but yet close enough to enjoy all the area has to offer. Enjoy!

-Tony

So excited to hear!  We have a cozy little studio corner balcony,  the beach and now some amazing restaurants to try.  Are all of these uberable without paying a ton from the Hilton marina?  Now I want chicken wings lol...or could we get there on the water taxi?  Tony you are a wealth of knowledge!!  Thanks so much! Jane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

So excited to hear!  We have a cozy little studio corner balcony,  the beach and now some amazing restaurants to try.  Are all of these uberable without paying a ton from the Hilton marina?  Now I want chicken wings lol...or could we get there on the water taxi?  Tony you are a wealth of knowledge!!  Thanks so much! Jane

Yes they are all within reach w/o spending too much from the Hilton Marina. If you want to make an adventurous evening out of it, Bokampers is a water taxi stop on the North intracoastal route so just hop on at the Hilton and enjoy the ride. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...