LindaN

Symphony of the Seas - Apr 13 2019 - Eastern Caribbean

6 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

PS - Love the shoe racks!  Wondering what they are attached to?

They are attached to metal hooks I brought.  I bought packages of magnetic metal hooks and have them everywhere.  3 hold up each shoe thing and I am also using them for wet clothes, lanyards, and to hold up the compasses.

Day 3

My daughter went to part of both AO sessions and loved it.  Yesterday after lunch we watched the sexiest man contest at the pool so today after lunch my daughter wanted to run down to the pool to see if there was another contest.  I was about to tell her there wasn’t but it turns out there was a belly flop contest.  We sat on the edge of the pool and cheered people on.  After that it was adventure ocean time and then finally relax time for an hour.

At 4 we picked Delilah back up and went To use the private key hour to climb the rock wall.  My daughter was the only one that wanted to try it and she got really high.  She was too scared to come down though so the guy had to go up and get her to come down.  She was too scared to just let go.

We spent a lot of time walking from place to place.  AO is on one end of the ship and food is on the other.  We also spent a lot of time waiting at elevators.  My husband discovered that there was no 13th floor so that helped the elevator waits.  We’re on 12, AO is on 14, we just walk there now.

We saw hairspray at night, it was amazing, my favorite show so far.

28B067DA-606F-4824-84BB-5FC50C625779.jpeg

AE308B56-C9E6-4546-82DA-8D7CA641D7A9.jpeg

8C0B220A-32A6-4266-BEE6-766B6D1F7D9F.jpeg

DE8C84D9-5ACA-422B-829D-578D509770F4.jpeg

1 hour ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

I'm assuming everyone looking at the Belly-Flop contest? 

Yes, here were the top 2.  I’m usually taking pictures of my daughters reactions to things, but I did get the top 2.

C1821A45-FDD5-45CA-8BBA-899CE5843DD4.jpeg

Day 4

The night is young but today we stopped at St. Kitts.  We did the dolphin experience and loved it.  My daughter was scared of them at first but by the end loved them.  She also loved the monkeys in the market place area.   We were worried going into today because our excursion tickets said to meet at 9:30 but compass said the gangway opens at 9:30.  We went at 9 to the gangway so we could be first out but they were already letting people out.  The guy said they tell people it’s 9:30 but really you can get off at 9.  We did some shopping and got back on the boat.  

There is an 80’s party tonight so they were teaching line dancing at 3 and my daughter and I went while my husband stayed in the room on our balcony and longed to have his fishing pole with him.  He said next time he’s bringing it for sure.

2452F3A8-83E0-4F99-9486-F2C989725BBA.jpeg

2D2ED722-051F-4FF6-973A-6CA24D6032EC.jpeg

CF91D1EF-34F3-4782-AD6A-90478B5C33F2.jpeg

172ADADA-CA6C-4926-9BA3-5B144E56C09F.jpeg

004C3A0D-8F80-46F9-A16B-82C27AC6FF5E.jpeg

On 4/13/2019 at 11:33 AM, Zambia-Zaire said:

Definitely, as many angles as you can of Playmakers...as I expect to spend a lot of time there later this year; and, Jamie"s...wonder If there"s an outside dining area as well.

Have a great cruise...hope your daughter have the time if her life. Bon voyage! 🛳️

Finally got to Central Park today

4E427E69-C7E9-4C12-8A44-51B605043384.jpeg

4A14F3EE-E884-4119-B387-34379CBDF211.jpeg

F93121FA-E702-4456-979F-B1B2B12661F5.jpeg

On 4/16/2019 at 8:08 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@LindaN I see from you pool pics that Mike is the CD on board now. How do you like him? We have him this July. 

He is awesome!  I don’t have much to compare him to since it’s my second cruise.  I see him at all sorts of events.

28 minutes ago, LindaN said:

He is awesome!  I don’t have much to compare him to since it’s my second cruise.  I see him at all sorts of events.

Hi Linda,

I can tell you and your family are having such a wonderful on the wonderful Symphony!  I can't wait to explore this new Symphony ship next Sunday April 27th on your exact same itinerary!!!  Also great to hear that the CD Mike is so present in so many events!  He sounds awesome!  We are sailing with cruise friends this time too so this will be so much fun!

Keep sending your fun photos!  Your sweet daughter is sure having the time of her life!

Thanks!

Michelle

Ps.  Personally so excited to be sailing our first as Diamond Plus too!

1 hour ago, Cruising to Retirement! said:

next Sunday April 27th

Don't want you to miss your ship !  It is either Saturday, April 27 or Sunday, April 28.  We are on Freedom which departs on Sunday, April 28...that's the only reason I have any clue about days and dates !!

37 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Don't want you to miss your ship !  It is either Saturday, April 27 or Sunday, April 28.  We are on Freedom which departs on Sunday, April 28...that's the only reason I have any clue about days and dates !!

Thank you!  I'm sorry I know it is Saturday the 27th!  I had a 50's moment not a senior moment!  Ha!  We are flying down to Miami Friday!  I love the Freedom we did a back to back out of San Juan in August of 2016 and hit 9 different islands in 14 days!  Had a terrific time!  Are you going out of Miami also or San Juan?  

I have read your wonderful blog of your Anthem cruise this year and drooled over your room and all your experiences!  I'm so happy for you both!  I know you were Star Class so you had everything possible, but did you happen to notice if Diamond Plus had specialty seating for the shows in 270 or the theater?  We just turned diamond plus and in a balcony on our Symphony cruise.  We are in one of the x large Jr. Suites on our 9 night Anthem on May 23rd and wondering if Diamond Plus or just Suites and Pinnacle possibly? I've heard from Twangster it depends on the ship but was hoping you could share in additional info on specifically the Anthem.  I can ask once onboard also. Any help would be appreciated!  We have our reservations of course!  Also how full was the Coastal Kitchen for dinner since we are hoping to get reservations once we get onboard like on Oasis class ship.

Thanks so much for any information!  And have a great cruise!!!

Michelle

Are you going out of Miami also or San Juan?  

San Juan

did you happen to notice if Diamond Plus had specialty seating for the shows in 270 or the theater? 

I did not notice in 270.  I don't believe there are any reserved areas on the ground floor of 270 HOWEVER there may well be a reserved area in the upper section of 270.  I never went up there so I don't know what is really even up there !  If there is a reserved area I do not know if D+ are eligible or not.  

There is definitely a reserved area in the main theater but whether or not D+ are included...I just don't know.  I should have been more thoughtful of such things when we were there.  It seemed like the time just flew by.

how full was the Coastal Kitchen for dinner

I don't recall the CK ever being particularly busy.  We ate dinners there only twice but both times I remember thinking that there were lots of available tables.  It is my impression (based only on 2 visits !) that you would have no trouble getting a reservation at the CK.  You might have to be flexible with your times but I think you will get in without any trouble.

I know you will have a great cruise.  Anthem is beautiful.  Enjoy.

Thanks for the info.  I'm not holding my breath, but since DP is entirely new to us I appreciate your feedback.

That is great news about Anthem's Coastal Kitchen though.  We are excited since we've never been on Anthem.  We haven't had trouble on our Oasis class ships but had to be flexible with times sometimes.  We have a 3 night dining package that was super inexpensive from about a year ago and a free dining from our travel agent so we can be flexible with days a bit also!  I'm so sorry to see Anthem leave Port Liberty!  We wanted to sail her again to Bermuda and the 3 Caribbean ports on her one more time!  We sailed her her first year in May 2016 and love We will Rock You and their great cover bands.  We sailed her again in 2017 when she sailed the night night up to Canada and had an Eagles cover band.  I've heard it will be the Bon Jovi which we saw in 2016 so looking forward to that!  Fingers crossed!

We are sad, sad to see Anthem leave!  I'm sure she will come back someday in the future!

I will check with loyalty ambassador in Conceirge lounge for tour possibilities for Diamond Plus also!

Thanks again!  I really appreciate hearing cruise loving people's wonderful cruise experiences and advice and of course the great pics on this great blog!

Michelle

2 hours ago, Cruising to Retirement! said:

That is great news about Anthem's Coastal Kitchen though.  We are excited since we've never been on Anthem. 

Please come back and let us know how easy it was to get reservations in CK.  We are in a JS again for the RCBlog GC in July but this time I cannot make reservation online (last time I could).  Nervous that I will have to beg my way in.

48 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Please come back and let us know how easy it was to get reservations in CK.  We are in a JS again for the RCBlog GC in July but this time I cannot make reservation online (last time I could).  Nervous that I will have to beg my way in.

Would be happy to!  It will be the first place I go when I get onboard!  We will be very early too!  

If I happen to forget, please remind me!

7 hours ago, Cruising to Retirement! said:

did you happen to notice if Diamond Plus had specialty seating for the shows in 270 or the theater?

I was on Anthem last October; I'm a lowly Gold, but when my wife and I went to Two70 for Spectra's Cabaret, and the theater for We Will Rock You, the only reserved seating we saw was for a group of Star Class passengers. Their genie placed marker mats over the seats being held for them.

To be honest, I thought they didn't get the best seats for Spectra. When you're in Two70 and looking at the stage, you have the lowest set of seats in front of the stage, then a walkway around the stage with high-back couches, and more seats behind those couches. The SC passengers got the last / highest row of seats in that closest section and certainly had a completely unimpeded view of the stage; but a lot of the action is aerial or on the robo-screens overhead, and folks like the musicians are on elevated platforms around the stage anyway. My wife and I sat in one of the couches since her back was hurting and she wanted the support, and we were treated to an extremely close-up view of Spectra (the MC) himself and all the cast as they paraded past at two different points in the show. Spectra even shook my hand and said hello as he walked by. I'd recommend trying to grab one of those couches if you plan to see that show, it's very worth it even with a slightly obstructed view of the lower stage area!

7 hours ago, Cruising to Retirement! said:

Also how full was the Coastal Kitchen for dinner

I can confirm @WAAAYTOOO's statement that CK was never busy at any point. We were in a Jr Suite and had dinner in CK every night but one; all but the last night, the place was practically empty at 6:30 PM; we typically didn't see any other diners closer than 2 or 3 tables away. Even on the last night, it was only marginally more busy; we still had a good two table clear radius around us, but the SC group was eating there that night and one other large group that made it a smidge more crowded.

If you are planning to eat in CK, you must go on night 1 if you're at all a fan of filet mignon. That's the only night it's served in CK and, IMNSHO, it was FAR better than the filet I had from Chops just two nights later. That's also the only night you'll get the smoked tomato soup they offer, which is to die for!

11 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I was on Anthem last October; I'm a lowly Gold, but when my wife and I went to Two70 for Spectra's Cabaret, and the theater for We Will Rock You, the only reserved seating we saw was for a group of Star Class passengers. Their genie placed marker mats over the seats being held for them.

I can confirm @WAAAYTOOO's statement that CK was never busy at any point. We were in a Jr Suite and had dinner in CK every night but one; all but the last night, the place was practically empty at 6:30 PM; we typically didn't see any other diners closer than 2 or 3 tables away. ...

If you are planning to eat in CK, you must go on night 1 if you're at all a fan of filet mignon. That's the only night it's served in CK and, IMNSHO, it was FAR better than the filet I had from Chops just two nights later. That's also the only night you'll get the smoked tomato soup they offer, which is to die for!

Thank you so much Joe for all the info on the reserved seating and the availability in the Coastal Kitchen.  I would have guessed probably reserved seating for Suites only, but it sounds like only Star Class.  Wow!  Also it sure sounds great about CK availability!  That's terrific that you and your wife didn't have a difficult time getting reservations!  Fingers crossed that is the case for us too!  We will definitely eat in CK on night 1 for the filet mignon and the smoked tomato soup!  My husband LOVES tomato soup!  I'm already hungry!  We've enjoyed the Coastal Kitchen on 3 different Oasis class ships but never on Quantum Class.  Wanted to try Quantum class CK to compare before the wonderful Anthem leaves us!  I'm envious that you live so close to the port.  That's a huge, great plus!

Were you by chance in a large Jr. Suite?  We are staying in that Jr. Suite this time.  All your info was valuable and helped alleviate some fears for sure!

Thanks Again!

Michelle

Joe, I could not agree with you more about the reserved seating for Star Class at 270.  I was constantly turning around to see someone popping up behind me.  Next time I'm going to sit back far enough that I can see all of the performers without having to swivel 360 degrees !

52 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Joe, I could not agree with you more about the reserved seating for Star Class at 270.  I was constantly turning around to see someone popping up behind me.  Next time I'm going to sit back far enough that I can see all of the performers without having to swivel 360 degrees !

I’ve heard others mention that you can let your genie know where you’d prefer to sit if it’s not right in the front and they’ll save those seats. 

1 hour ago, Andrew72681 said:

I’ve heard others mention that you can let your genie know where you’d prefer to sit if it’s not right in the front and they’ll save those seats. 

True.  They will save whatever seats you prefer.

On 4/18/2019 at 8:59 AM, LindaN said:

Finally got to Central Park today

4E427E69-C7E9-4C12-8A44-51B605043384.jpeg

4A14F3EE-E884-4119-B387-34379CBDF211.jpeg

Good shots Linda...have a better feel of atmosphere & the ambiance of the place. Looks like the perfect location for it.

Jamie"s on Anthem seem isolated away from everything else, although it was next to Vintages & on the was towards 270, which I love(one of the best spots on the ship). It was obviously all indoors, & serve good food. I just thought the atmosphere was bland and as good the food was there, eerily surprise a lot of people didn't frequent the place during peak dinner hours. We ate there twice on a 9day.

My wife love to eat outside; so, she is going to love eating at Jamie's on this ship. Hopefully it not windy...Central Park on Oasis its tended to have a strong, whipping, draft in so areas.

On 4/19/2019 at 8:50 AM, Cruising to Retirement! said:

Were you by chance in a large Jr. Suite?  We are staying in that Jr. Suite this time.  All your info was valuable and helped alleviate some fears for sure!

We stayed in a J4 (Spa Jr Suite), which is smaller than the J1 / Large JS. I think the only real “complaint” you may have that is that the view aft from the balcony will be somewhat obstructed due to the “bump-out” starting at that spot. But you’ll have a much larger balcony than we had along with even better cabin space. I seem to recall that @Lovetocruise2002 stayed in a J1 with her family. (or maybe is going to  this July for the GC?)

Glad to be able to help and allay some of your concerns!

5 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I seem to recall that @Lovetocruise2002 stayed in a J1 with her family. (or maybe is going to  this July for the GC?)

It was a J3 at the time that we booked it or FS (family junior suite). I don’t know what it is officially called now after recategorization. We had that room on Anthem in March 2018 and the same thing for the Anthem GC this July. We like that room because it has the additional Pullman. 

Our cruise is over, boo.  I’ll summarize the rest of the cruise in a few summary posts. 

Things I would do different next Time

1) Next cruise I would fly in a day early.  We got to our hotel this time at 3:30 am and you the time we got on the boat we were so tired we missed to much that first day, and we were still tired day 2.

2) book a room closer to the elevator, although it wasn’t that bad in the middle because when we walked out the door we always had to go to the far right to take our daughter to adventure ocean, but always had to go to the left for food.  

Things we learned by day 2 that helped

1) Boat layout, something obvious if you have cruised before.  If you have not been on a cruise before I’ll save you some time walking to the ends of the halls over and over.   Every hall has 2 lobby’s you exit the hall from, those take you to elevators.  You get to everything through the elevators (or stairs).  Day 1 and 2 we kept going to the end of halls thinking there was exit at the end.  

2) We didn’t really understand how the drink cups worked until day 2.  The cups are in your room and you have to carry them to places on the boat to get sodas.  I know it probably is obvious to anyone whose cruised before but trying to get soda in the windjammer you have to carry your cup.  I only drink alcohol, water and ice tea but my husband and daughter figured out the cup thing by day 2.