The Key. Worth it?

SLJ

Has anyone purchased The Key?  I just read that kids 6 and under don't need to pay. My 2 kids are 3 and 5. Does it mean that we only need to pay for 2 adults and all four of us get the same benefits? Do you think it's worth it? 

1 minute ago, SLJ said:

Has anyone purchased The Key?  I just read that kids 6 and under don't need to pay. My 2 kids are 3 and 5. Does it mean that we only need to pay for 2 adults and all four of us get the same benefits? Do you think it's worth it? 

I just purchased The Key after countless rave reviews on another thread (and watching video on said thread). If you are going to purchase the internet package and you do the math, you pretty well see the benefit.

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

Check out this recent blog post from @Matt who runs this site:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2019/03/26/royal-caribbeans-the-key-worth-it

I just read a few reviews at the bottom of this blog.....the first thing that popped into my mind was the old saying "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".

I may have a look at it if it appears for our Allure sailing for next year and the price is right.

Some of the bits and bobs we may not use (don't think theres any ports where we have to tender for example) but I think overall it would amplify the cruise.

I do see some issues that would be good to avoid and hope they get ironed out, one of the recent comments made mention of the Activities and that the times weren't specifically for The Key and crew where advising just to jump the queue. I don't like doing things like that, I don't want to put anyone else out whos already queuing or anything like that.

Also seems that some are getting a bit upset with people buying the key because they now have similar perks to someone to paid a lot more for a suite or someone with a higher C&A rank. Not sure how I feel on that one, I'm still a Platinum about to move to Emerald so will still be a while before I can get to Diamond perks so I don't have the feeling that The Key is stealing my perks but can understand why long standing members may see it this way.

In the end I guess I'll make my own call if/when it goes up for our sailing

Yea I think you're right, the longer the cruise the less and less you will get. You probably wont use the priority access to the Climbing wall more than twice I would reckon. There does appear to be a "sweet spot" for length of cruise

@Jason12 I've just noticed your signature, you are getting on Allure as I'm getting off. One day I'll do a TA, one day

1 minute ago, cmdrfrag said:

Yea I think you're right, the longer the cruise the less and less you will get. You probably wont use the priority access to the Climbing wall more than twice I would reckon. There does appear to be a "sweet spot" for length of cruise

@Jason12 I've just noticed your signature, you are getting on Allure as I'm getting off. One day I'll do a TA, one day

In addition to the number of days sweetspot, if you were taking a cruise where you were rendering at many of the ports it could also be very helpful to cut down on waiting time. 

1 hour ago, cmdrfrag said:

Also seems that some are getting a bit upset with people buying the key because they now have similar perks to someone to paid a lot more for a suite or someone with a higher C&A rank. Not sure how I feel on that one, I'm still a Platinum about to move to Emerald so will still be a while before I can get to Diamond perks so I don't have the feeling that The Key is stealing my perks but can understand why long standing members may see it this way.

That’s the part I don’t get, even though I fly for business every week, I don’t get upset with the person who paid for the first class upgrade and then I don’t get a free upgrade. Would a diamond member get upset with a first time cruiser who books a star class suite and gets seating held at shows?

1 hour ago, Andrew72681 said:

That’s the part I don’t get, even though I fly for business every week, I don’t get upset with the person who paid for the first class upgrade and then I don’t get a free upgrade. Would a diamond member get upset with a first time cruiser who books a star class suite and gets seating held at shows?

I don't get why others would be upset either.  Your flight/first class analogy is spot on in regards to this subject...We've thought about the key for our next cruise, and are still weighing the pros/cons...

2 hours ago, Andrew72681 said:

Exactly. As far as I can tell, there are certain veteran cruisers who feel the benefits of The Key should be given to them for their loyalty. Nevermind the fact they get some of The Key benefits already, plus a dedicated lounge, complimentary alcoholic beverages, discounts galore, etc.

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yes. I have two kids, 8 and 4. Did not pay for the 4 year old but she was included with benefits.

Thank you @Matt !  By the way, I JUST came across your Youtube channel. (Yes, I know, a little late to the party). So I binge watched a lot of your videos and now I'm all prepared for my first cruise on Allure in May. So thank you thank you!!!

Just now, SLJ said:

Thank you @Matt !  By the way, I JUST came across your Youtube channel. (Yes, I know, a little late to the party). So I binge watched a lot of your videos and now I'm all prepared for my first cruise on Allure in May. So thank you thank you!!!

So glad to hear you enjoyed it!

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Exactly. As far as I can tell, there are certain veteran cruisers who feel the benefits of The Key should be given to them for their loyalty. Nevermind the fact they get some of The Key benefits already, plus a dedicated lounge, complimentary alcoholic beverages, discounts galore, etc.

With ships seemingly fuller than ever why would anyone be surprised if benefits they did have went away. Airlines have done it for years and are more profitable than ever.  

I am cruising on Independence of the Seas, INDY if you will, the end of April and bought The Key for my wife and myself so I can let you know then. I watched videos and read some blogs on it and for our 5 day cruise it made sense especially when I got it for 20% off and used my OBC to buy it down further. I shall give it a shot and see how it works out. When I was cruising on Carnival we always bought Faster-to-the-Fun which gave some perks, mainly getting on and off more quickly but was cheaper than RC.

We got pretty lucky too.  We're on INDY for a three day cruise in May and were able to sign up for The Key at 20% off (19.99 per day / person).  We were going to purchase the Internet package anyway at 18.99 / day / person, so for an extra $6 we get all the additional perks ($6 for lunch for two at Chops is the way we're looking at it ? )

The rest will just be gravy.  We'll still be tired from flying across the pond so any additional perks will be most appreciated.