Ship or ports of call?

Cheri

NEED ADVICE. Planning cruise for my family April 2020 (my husband, myself, and our almost 13 year old twins) Which cruise would you pick?  Liberty: Jamaica Grand Cayman Cozumel; Harmony: Coco Cay, San Juan, St. Maarten; Symphony: St. Kitts St Thomas Coco Cay; Oasis: Labadee Jamaica Cozumel

i originally booked Liberty because of the ports but it also seems like the most outdated ship. Thinking my sons would have more fun on a newer ship just don’t love the ports. 

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Hi @Cheri, welcome to the RCBlog forums!

Even though my official title is "Oasis Class Denier", I'm going to buck my usual trend and say you'll probably want to pick one of the Oasis Class sailings. With two 13-year olds, Liberty may leave them feeling bored on the sea days; my family and I sailed on Freedom this past April, and my then-14 and 17 year old girls were both struggling to find enough to do on the sea days. My wife and I found the ship perfectly fine for what we wanted to do, but kids definitely change the equation and Liberty won't be AMPED until 2021.

Given the port options on each, I would personally pick either Harmony or Oasis. Symphony has a huge price premium, even over the other Oasis class ships. I'd personally lean towards Harmony, just because I feel that San Juan and St. Maarten are the best ports of the bunch, and Coco Cay should actually have a decent chance to be finished by the time you sail. But Oasis will be AMPED this year, and that's also a pretty decent-looking itinerary.

I would probably go with Harmony. It seems like it has the best itinerary in general, but especially for teenagers. They will have the maximum amount of activities on that ship, plus they'll get to check out the water park at Coco Cay while you relax on the beach. None of those are bad choices though. I don't know for sure but I think Oasis will be refurbished by that time. If so that would probably be a great choice as well.

I agree with above.  Never been on Liberty but Oasis class has so much for all ages, and shows are amazing.  To me, the itinerary are similar so just a personal preference if one has somewhere you prefer to visit.

I would also select Harmony....as Harmony and Symphony as these are the newest ships and have waterlsides and Abyss (although Oasis refurb is coming next year where slides "may be" added).  And Harmony is probably cheaper than Symphony (unless you prefer its itinerary)

PS - With Royal's ships, it's more about the ship for us than the ports

I would go Harmony.  Symphony maybe a great ship, but I live within a budget and bc it is spanking new it comes with a higher price.  Thus, I would rather spend that extra money on a cabana at Coco Cay and have an outside balcony on Harmony than just an outside view on Symphony and no cabana.  Caveat not saying that is the price difference, but hopefully you get what I mean.

My pick would be Harmony just because she is my favorite ship overall, but don't discount Liberty, she has been redone (Lets say in the last 5 years), 3 water slides, flow rider, mini golf, etc.. The only thing Liberty doesn't have is the ultimate abyss and the Carousel (In general terms).

With that said, Harmony is bigger and newer and just plain has more to do, Liberty is limited (Compared to an O class ship) in dinning options if you want more than the MDR.

Liberty is always my 1st choice because I can drive to the port and save $ not having to fly.

I've been on both Liberty and Harmony with my kids (older ones were teens at the time).  I think either one would be great.  The advantage to Liberty is the cost.  You could probably get 2 staterooms on Liberty for much less than Harmony.  Liberty has plenty to do with the water slides, mini golf, flowrider, arcade, etc.  On Harmony, my kids enjoyed the water slides and the set up is better being next to the pool.  We always mini golf at least once but we aren't flowrider fans but both ships have both.  On Harmony they have the zip line and that was a one time and done for us but the ultimate abyss was very cool. There is a lot on Harmony that my kids would never do (carousel, central park).   If price isn't a factor and since you have cruised before, I'd probably go with Harmony.  If price is a factor then go with Liberty.    I really think it is a toss up as you can't go wrong on either ship.

I never have my heart set on ports as they can easily be changed due to weather.    

Here's what I just did as I hadn't been on a cruise in awhile but just booked one last month for 1/27 on the Allure. First I decided I didn't want to do the Eastern Caribbean again as I'll always went that route so I decided to look at Western. My preference is always go BIG so I looked at all the Oasis class ships & their itinerary to make my choice. But as I'm not an experienced cruiser as most here I'll defer to them but Harmony or Symphony would be my choice. 

We had the same discussion about Oasis/Harmony/Symphony for February of 2020.  We just did Oasis, with the same itinerary, but chose it again.  The value was better, and it will be freshly amped.  For us, we preferred Labadee to CocoCay, and I'm assuming the additions on Perfect Day are going to be expensive, if they're completed by then...

Plus, we loved Cozumel, and it will have been over a year since we had been there.  The value of an amped Oasis was great vs. Harmony and Symphony.  

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

^^^Agree on this point.

We booked Oasis for March 2020 at a way lower price point than Symphony or Harmony.

Strangely Oasis is not tons, but is a bit more than Harmony for March 2021 (comparing same stateroom on each).  So we went with Harmony.  Will be interested in hearing what they end up amping up on Oasis.

2 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Strangely Oasis is not tons, but is a bit more than Harmony for March 2021 (comparing same stateroom on each).  So we went with Harmony.  Will be interested in hearing what they end up amping up on Oasis.

I noticed that too for 2021. We went with Allure for March 2021 and got an awesome price on it! She will be post amp also by then.

10 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I noticed that too for 2021. We went with Allure for March 2021 and got an awesome price on it! She will be post amp also by then.

I'm going with Allure for 2021.  Our first Star class!  It was a great price.  Fingers crossed that the school doesn't change spring break weeks but getting cancel for any reason insurance just in case.

10 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Awesome!  What date?  We booked Star Class too for that one.  The prices were really good!  We booked March 14, 2021.

Thats the date I booked too!  Now I'm even more worried as you typically have spring break the week before us!  Maybe I should look at the week after too and just cancel one when our dates come out in Nov.

Just now, melski94 said:

Thats the date I booked too!  Now I'm even more worried as you typically have spring break the week before us!  Maybe I should look at the week after too and just cancel one when our dates come out in Nov.

Awesome!  I'm so excited!  We'll get to sail together!  Did you book the 2BDR ATS for your crew?  We booked an A2 for that sailing.  

And won't you lose if you cancel?  It's a NRD for Star Class.

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Awesome!  I'm so excited!  We'll get to sail together!  Did you book the 2BDR ATS for your crew?  We booked an A2 for that sailing.  

And won't you lose if you cancel?  It's a NRD for Star Class.

Yes I booked the 2 bedroom ATS.  Yes but the plan is to get cancel for any reason insurance to cover the NRD if we need to cancel.