Customs for dummies?!?!

Pooch

Just because I need things to obsess about,  I am now curious about going through Customs at the end of our cruise.  We are on Majesty out of Tampa going to Cozumel and Costa Maya.  I expect to buy souvenirs for my grand kids and probably a couple of bottles of tequila, probably no more than $500 total altho I won't know for sure until I see the shops!!!  Can someone walk me (not literally) through Customs?  Forms to fill out?  Bags to be gone through?? Sniffing dogs??? Strip searches????  My imagination is running wild!!!!

Customs is a fairly straightforward and painless process when departing a cruise ship. 

At the end of the cruise, you have the option to leave your bags outside your room the night before departure to be carried off for you and picked up in the terminal before going through customs, or to carry them off yourself. This is matter of preference/whether or not you are able to manage your bags down escalators and ramps. 

If you do decide to leave your bags in the hall, there are luggage tags that will be delivered to your room with an associated number that you will need to attach do your bags. 

Along with your luggage tags, customs declarations forms will be delivered. Here you fill out some relevant information such as countries visited and US destination, as well as a listing of items purchased abroad. This form (along with passport or identification) will need to be shown to the customs agent. 

When you go through the line to approach the customs agent, make sure you have this form in hand. You only need one form per household. 

When you approach the agent after waiting in line with your bags, you will hand over your form and ID to inspect. They may ask a question or two - but beyond that, you're off! No strip searches or bag searches (at least in my experience!) 

Customs is really easy.  There used to be a form to fill out but our last cruise there out of Ft. Lauderdale there was nothing to fill out.  We just handed the customs agent our passports.

Here is a general walk thru although Tampa may be different. If you need to fill out paperwork, your room attendant will leave it on your bed with the regular disembarkation stuff.  Want an earlier or later number for luggage tags, ask your room attendant if he can get you one.  Have your seapass card out as they check you off the ship. Follow the long line off the ship, there will be greeters telling you where to go.  Look for your luggage (assuming you didn't self disembark), then make your way to the customs lines.  There may be different lines for US citizens, non US citizens and suite guests. Get in the right line with your luggage.  There could be sniffing dogs who are looking for fruit (do not bring unpackaged food off the ship).  See customs with your passport or birth certificate. He may ask you questions or may not. Just be truthful with your answers but for what you are buying it won't be that bad. 

There are limits to the amount of liquor you can bring back plus they like food items in containers (spices in a jar not a baggie).

3 minutes ago, KLAconQueso said:

Customs is a fairly straightforward and painless process when departing a cruise ship. 

At the end of the cruise, you have the option to leave your bags outside your room the night before departure to be carried off for you and picked up in the terminal before going through customs, or to carry them off yourself. This is matter of preference/whether or not you are able to manage your bags down escalators and ramps. 

If you do decide to leave your bags in the hall, there are luggage tags that will be delivered to your room with an associated number that you will need to attach do your bags. 

Along with your luggage tags, customs declarations forms will be delivered. Here you fill out some relevant information such as countries visited and US destination, as well as a listing of items purchased abroad. This form (along with passport or identification) will need to be shown to the customs agent. 

When you go through the line to approach the customs agent, make sure you have this form in hand. You only need one form per household. 

When you approach the agent after waiting in line with your bags, you will hand over your form and ID to inspect. They may ask a question or two - but beyond that, you're off! No strip searches or bag searches (at least in my experience!) 

@Pooch --what Kayla said. But also know that depending upon the port, there may not even be a customs form. On our Adventure cruise out of Bayonne, NJ I thought the cabin steward forgot to leave us the form. I went to guest services and was told they did away with it last November. On the other hand, when flying into Philly from Jamaica we were given the form to complete.

FYI, we did see the sniffing dogs in Bayonne. They are not just for drugs---they are also looking for food. Snacks in packaged bags are fine, but do NOT try to bring in and fruits, vegetables, meats etc. I'm pretty sure this holds true at every port.

5 minutes ago, Skid said:

@Pooch --what Kayla said. But also know that depending upon the port, there may not even be a customs form. On our Adventure cruise out of Bayonne, NJ I thought the cabin steward forgot to leave us the form. I went to guest services and was told they did away with it last November. On the other hand, when flying into Philly from Jamaica we were given the form to complete.

FYI, we did see the sniffing dogs in Bayonne. They are not just for drugs---they are also looking for food. Snacks in packaged bags are fine, but do NOT try to bring in and fruits, vegetables, meats etc. I'm pretty sure this holds true at every port.

I know Fort Lauderdale was also experimenting with getting rid of the custom's forms back in October since we didn't need to carry one off then, but I'm not sure what other ports (besides Bayonne now) this might apply to.

We did need one when we departed Adventure in San Juan in February. 

As mentioned before going through customs is pretty strait forward and I find the experience way less stressful than going through airport security.  One of the early decisions you can make is honestly reviewing how much luggage you have and if you are capable of carrying it all yourself. If you are one of those that can pack light,  you can carry off that morning joining some of the 1st off of the ship.  If you are like us and pack twice as much you need you will tag your luggage and sit it out in the hallway the night before.  The information left in your stateroom will give you an approximate time you can leave the ship and where you should gather before lining up to leave.  There will be guides along the way to direct you to the area where you will rejoin your luggage.  Again if you have a lot of luggage or have trouble carrying it all there will be a separate line in the bagge area for those that want a porter to assist them.  While it may look like the line for the porter is longer we have found it is well worth it.  Part of the porter's compensation is any tips they receive.  So these guys are masters at cutting the lines to get you to customs as fast as possible.  Just have your passport out and ready and follow the porter.  We usually tip a couple of dollars per bag they carry and for us we think it is worth it.  Many times we have been at the curb waiting for our transportation when the folks trying to manage all of their luggages themselves are still in lines.

I have very vague recollections of trying to wrangle too much luggage to the bus (back when RCCL provided transportation to your port!) when we went to Bermuda in 2002 but have no memory of Customs.  I am hoping for 1 suitcase each this time for 3 capable adults with perhaps a couple of carry ons that can be attached to the rolling suitcases.  We are in a Suite and our flight isn't until 7:30 that evening out of MCO  so I'm thinking there is absolutely no reason to rush off the ship?

12 minutes ago, Pooch said:

I have very vague recollections of trying to wrangle too much luggage to the bus (back when RCCL provided transportation to your port!) when we went to Bermuda in 2002 but have no memory of Customs.  I am hoping for 1 suitcase each this time for 3 capable adults with perhaps a couple of carry ons that can be attached to the rolling suitcases.  We are in a Suite and our flight isn't until 7:30 that evening out of MCO  so I'm thinking there is absolutely no reason to rush off the ship?

I absolutely wouldn't - hit the MDR for breakfast and take a lap around the decks and have a slow morning... let the customs rush die down and enjoy yourselves!

Yes. The sooner you can leave your room the sooner they can begin the process of turning it for the next cruise.  Generally if you don't tag your bags and leave them out the night before your stuck with hauling them around with you.  I think I saw you were a suite guest.  We've never done that but there might be a lounge assigned to suite guest so at least your not trying to fit everything into the MDR.  Others will have to help with that.  For us we just keep a small book bag to put pj's and toiletries in for the morning and send everything else out the night before.  We've even asked for extra luggage tags so we can send down our carry on bag also.  Sure is a lot easier than rolling around several suite cases.

We were on Rhapsody out of Tampa in February and NO MORE CUSTOMS FORMS.   You go thru customs and say HI have a nice day basically.  Hip Hip Hurrah   !!!!!!!!!!   I could write a book about all of the experiences we have seen or experienced first hand over the years.  They were truly a waste of time.  Personally we like carrying our bags off the ship.  No waiting around for your number to be called. The ship docks and off you go.  If you don`t do carry you go and get your luggage and carry it thru customs. We used to get a porter and get our bags and breeze  thru customs.   That`s your call.   We got off the ship at 7:30 and we did carry off and we were on the interstate at 8:15.  If you are flying you are in a taxi and gone.    People have been known to lolly gag around the ship till almost noon.  Again that will be your call.

We will be driving to Winter Park with our daughter who lives there & is joining us on the cruise.  Hoping to get a small disney fix at Disney Springs on the way.  I dont expect to be awake let alone off the ship by 7:30!!

I will definitely second whover has mentioned get a posted!  Best way to save time ever.  In tampa we we're out in 10 mins!  In port Everglades the poster didn't have a separate line so we werent necessarily faster but he lugged my heavy suitcase until we were loading into the taxi!  Worth the tip totally!!!  Jane

20 hours ago, Pooch said:

so where are we reunited with our bags if we send them off on their own?   And how late can we disembark?  This is fascinating stuff!!!

There are large signs that correspond to your luggage tag and you meet your luggage there.

While I don't know about suites, I thought you had to be out of your room by 8:30 or 9 and there are a few spaces to hang out. The next cruisers will want to embark on on the their cruise around 10:30 and the ship needs to have the previous cruisers off the ship by then.

2 hours ago, melski94 said:

While I don't know about suites, I thought you had to be out of your room by 8:30 or 9 and there are a few spaces to hang out.

That's correct. The first GTFO calls go out around 7:00 AM (we heard it while going into the MDR for final breakfast), and the final one is around 9:30.

Honestly, if I had it to do over again I would not wait until that final call to leave. The crowds are so massive at that point and the gangway becomes such a bottleneck that I think it took 2 or even 3 times longer to get off than it would have if we'd gotten off at 8:30 when we were done with breakfast and had the last of our stuff shoved into our carry-ons.