Royal Caribbean Blog

Harmony of the Seas, Somewhat Live 5/19 -5/26

Day 6 was the day we were most looking forward to and one of the reasons we went on the Western Caribbean cruise, our day in Cozumel. 

About 3 days prior we knew it was going to be a rainy day so we cancelled our reservations for Mr Sanchos and decided to spent the day in port shopping and eating. Was initially disappointed but it turned into a good day regardless. Our hual included some jewelry, chocolate, tequila, cologne and trinkets for the kids. 

Once back on board we spent some time in the hot tubs and then dinner at Windjammer again. After that we played mini golf again and ping pong, by that time it was 10pm and I was spent. Off to bed for day 7

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So here we are a day before we set sail on our first family cruise, and our first Royal Caribbean cruise infact. It is my wife and I, our three daughters who are 5, 6 and 7 years old along with my mom

Getting ready for our day in Mexico. Wanted to post some photos in the meantime until I can post on the previous few days. 

Thank you everyone.  Currently sitting in Windjammer with everyone for lunch. Left our house at 8:30 and got down here about 9:45 with the rain slowing us down some. Parking, security and ch

Posted Images

So here we are on day 7 which means tomorrow we are back home  . . .booooooooo.

Currently sitting in Sabor for dinner and I'll go out on a stretch and say the shredded short rib tacos have been the best meal I've had the whole trip. 

We skipped breakfast and ended up sleeping in until 9:30 which is super late for us.

Rushed down to promanade to check out the glassware and t-shirt sale and of course walked away with some goodies. Also went to the other gift shops to do some last minute shopping. 

After shopping we had some time for ice skating. Myself and our 2 oldest went and had a blast.

At 2:30 we had our showing of Grease. Was a fun show but not my favorite thing. My wife and kids loved it however.

So her we are finally caught up. Will try to post more later but anticipate a busy evening and morning. Have tons of pictures to share so stay tuned

A day late but here is day 8 

Today was the day nobody looks forward to, the last day of the cruise. With our bags put outside the night prior, there wasnt much left to pack up to carry off. We had decided to wake up early so we could enjoy one last breakfast at Windjammer. After that we grabbed our carry off bags and headed down to Silk to wait for our number to be called. Number called, left the shipped, found our bags and loaded up into our SUV and was back home in less than an hour. That last sentence was such a depressing sentence to type  🙁

Overall thoughts and pictures to follow

A quick recap of our cruise along with some more pictures

Where do I even begin . . . rating these on a scale of 10

Cruise 10/10

Id give the cruise itself a 10 out of 10. Was everything I knew it would be, well actually better than I thought it would be. Can't wait until we can book another cruise and have already begun talking about it.  More than likely will be in 2020 and the revamped Coco Cay is on our list of stops we would like to hit up. 

Room 9.5/10

Besides being on the smaller side, which being on a ship, I totally understand, our room was great. Loved the location overlooking the boardwalk and being able to see the water and The Fine Line was a wonderful thing. I am deducting half a point because of the rock hard beds. Other than that we were totally happy. Also being able to watch the movies on the big screens at the aqua theater from our balcony was super cool. 

Crew 10/10

Everyone we interacted with was wonderful. Our room attendant Sydney was the man and took care of us and  anything we needed. The few times at customer service went smoothly with no issues. No complaints here from us. 

Food 8/10

There were a few things we came across that was so so, like super burnt and crispy toast and french toast in Windjammer but then there was some amazing food as well, like our meal in Sabor. 

Shows 10/10

The shows blew our minds, didn't expect them to be that good, even the ice skating shows. I preferred Iskate over 1887 and Columbus over Grease but all were spectacular. The Fine Line was an action packed spectacle and a must see. We did miss the headliner act and comedian. The character meet and greets and breakfast was a lot of fun as well as the parade in the promenade.  

Labadee 10/10

Was really more than we were expecting. Could have spend a few more hours here. Zipline and coaster were highlights for me and my kids loved the beach and aqua park. 

Falmouth 7/10

For me this port was just ok. Probably the one port I would have been ok skipping, would have like to see more of the country side though 

Cozumel  8/10

The rain really did put a hamper on the day but made the best of with some shopping and lunch, the shopping did make up for a lot for us. Along with Jamacia, would have loved to see more of the real country 

Things we would have done differently 

Packed less, we severely over packed. Being our first family cruise we didn't know how much to bring and really could have brought less. 

Sign up for my time dining. I selected the 5:30 dining time and only made it to one meal at that time. Next time will def do the my time dining. 

Bring/save more money to spend in Cozumel, lol.  

Book back to back cruises. This is a pipe dream but would have been really great

Odds and End

Embarking and disembarking the ship couldn't have gone smoother for us. I was pleasantly surprised how smooth and really didn't have to wait in any long lines either day. Even finding our luggage was a breeze

Ship could use a few more Coke Freestyle machines IMO 😆

Elevators could be a pain sometimes but with that many people its understandable 

Ship could use a few more of those frozen yogurt stands also 😁

Getting to and from our home in Palm Beach Gardens to Port Everglades was pretty easy as was dropping off our bags and parking

_DSC1738-2.jpg

_DSC1668-2.jpg

_DSC1728-2.jpg

_DSC2224-HDR.jpg

_DSC1354-2.jpg

_DSC1099-HDR-3.jpg

_DSC1430-2.jpg

_DSC1451-2.jpg

Fantastic blog and stunning photos! Thanks so much for sharing!

Do consider the late traditional dining slot (8 or 8:30, depending on ship). Having done it myself, I can say that there wasn't one time when I went there feeling ravenous or wishing our dining slot was just a little bit earlier. And since we usually saw a show or did some other activity afterward, it wasn't like we were eating and going to bed right after. Service was great every night, and I think the staff wasn't feeling nearly as rushed or pressured as they might have with an earlier seating.

We normally eat at 6:30 when at home, so I attribute the lack of major hunger at 8:30 to the ready supply of snacking items you can get for free on board. Well, that and probably the sail-away margaritas I had most days!

love the blog next time in Falmouth book the beach buggy ride with lunch ride was ok lunch was good but definitely jerk the real treat was the van ride through the real Jamaica it takes well over an hour to get there well over you will se how it really is and on the way back you will stop at a well guarded shopping mall for some shopping the poverty is incredible and right in the middle of the shanties is a mansion saw dozens of examples of this Jamaica is a fascinating place to visit but you must see it with a guide never alone

@Hockeyman55 loved this blog! So happy that you and your family enjoyed Harmony and that all that planning played out well for you. Fantastic pictures! 

Your line about Cozumel made me laugh. We usually don't care much about the ports these days but whenever Cozumel is on the itinerary, we bring extra money! lol! 

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@Hockeyman55 loved this blog! So happy that you and your family enjoyed Harmony and that all that planning played out well for you. Fantastic pictures! 

Your line about Cozumel made me laugh. We usually don't care much about the ports these days but whenever Cozumel is on the itinerary, we bring extra money! lol! 

We didn't plan on buying much but that changed once we saw the weather and cancelled our beach resort. That freed up some money. Next time though, we will be better prepared. Just something about being there that makes you just want to shop, lol

2 hours ago, henrysea13 said:

love the blog next time in Falmouth book the beach buggy ride with lunch ride was ok lunch was good but definitely jerk the real treat was the van ride through the real Jamaica it takes well over an hour to get there well over you will se how it really is and on the way back you will stop at a well guarded shopping mall for some shopping the poverty is incredible and right in the middle of the shanties is a mansion saw dozens of examples of this Jamaica is a fascinating place to visit but you must see it with a guide never alone

Yeah we got warned ahead of time not to leave the port by ourselves. Next time we would like to go on a tour

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Fantastic blog and stunning photos! Thanks so much for sharing!

Do consider the late traditional dining slot (8 or 8:30, depending on ship). Having done it myself, I can say that there wasn't one time when I went there feeling ravenous or wishing our dining slot was just a little bit earlier. And since we usually saw a show or did some other activity afterward, it wasn't like we were eating and going to bed right after. Service was great every night, and I think the staff wasn't feeling nearly as rushed or pressured as they might have with an earlier seating.

We normally eat at 6:30 when at home, so I attribute the lack of major hunger at 8:30 to the ready supply of snacking items you can get for free on board. Well, that and probably the sail-away margaritas I had most days!

Thank you 😀 

We we're all over the place for dinner. One night we at close to 9pm while another near 4 pm. It was just hard for us to commit since we were busy all the time.

On 5/24/2018 at 12:34 PM, twangster said:

Indeed.  I'm pretty heavily vested into my Nikon full frame.  The camera body is easy, it's the lenses!

I have the Rokinon 12mm and 14mm which for the price are great lens and f2.8 to boot.

Sony is really doing a great job taking on Canon/Nikon and leading mirrorless advances.  If it weren't for the lenses, I'd be pretty tempted to jump ship (pun unintended).

I love my Rokinon fisheye, still one of the sharpest glass I have used. I'm very happy making the switch to the sony Fe mount, did take some work having to sell all my older Amount lenses but was worth it in the end

On 5/24/2018 at 12:55 PM, Matt said:

$2k for camera + $800-1k for the lens.  

Your pictures are great! I can't personally justify spending that much for a camera set up, but you cannot argue with the results. Maybe someday I'll upgrade to that level of stuff...in the name of research!

It almost didn't happen for me, trying to budget for this cruise along with the new camera and lens stretched me pretty thin for a while but I'm so glad I did. The quality I can def see an upgrade in the a73 vs the A99 I was using previously, plus I am not getting better low light shots which helped for the shows 

On 5/24/2018 at 10:07 PM, Floski said:

I'm just amazed at your photography, man.

The shot above of the Abyss - is that the moon just above it?   

Much appreciated, thank you. That was part of the slide, that little dangling thing is part of that fish that attracts other fish in the darkness, if you have seen Finding Nemo that fish makes an appearance and tries to get Marlin and Dori

On 5/25/2018 at 12:00 PM, Jason.H. said:

Thank you for your flicker link. Amazing photos! Everyone on here should check them out. The theme park pictures should be purchases by the parks to use on there websites and brochures. 

Much appreciated, thank you 😁

I've had some of the parks use some of them on thier social media but that has been about it. 

13 minutes ago, Hockeyman55 said:

Question for everyone. How long after your cruise until you don't have your sea legs anymore? I still feel like in on the boat 🤣

Lol...usually a few.  I find it depends on the ship actually.  For the Oasis class ships, where there is not much motion, I barely feel any different after.  When we sailed Anthem and there was a ton of motion, it lasted maybe 3 days after.  For the smaller ships, maybe 1-2 days.

13 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I pretty much have that problem everywhere I go 🙃

I think that's why Hubby doesn't mind if we stay on the ship sometimes lol.

We will be going to Cozumel three times this Summer. My husband says if I spend wisely this Summer, I can book a cruise on our last cruise in August. 

3 hours ago, Hockeyman55 said:

Question for everyone. How long after your cruise until you don't have your sea legs anymore? I still feel like in on the boat 🤣

Fingers crossed that it's only sea legs. After our AIDAprima cruise (7 nights) I was landsick for 2 weeks. Yeah, unfortunately landsickness is a thing. No matter what I did, the dizziness and  nausea wouldn't stop - I thought I was going crazy. Did ruin our post-cruise stay in Barcelona 😥

On another topic: I really enjoyed your blog. Your photos could rival that Twangster bot :4_joy:

54 minutes ago, Neaxan said:

On another topic: I really enjoyed your blog. Your photos could rival that Twangster bot :4_joy:

@twangsterbot always says that "competition is a good thing".  Let's see him up his game for Alaska!  I'm sure it will be amazing as always. 🙂