Boarding Time

41m33

I don't know about every port but we try to get there between 10:30 and 11:00.  This gets us checked in and usually don't have long to wait to board.  I seem to remember that the Tampa port is the one we waited the longest to board but that could of been having a hard time with customs when they came back.  If you let us know which port I'm sure someone will have a better answer.

Its been a while since I left from Ft Lauderdale but I remember they have a pretty efficient process.  Depending if you have a suite or if you are a C&A member I think if you get to the port by 10:30 you should be able to get on board quickly.  I don't see any reason to be at the port 2 hours before a scheduled boarding time (which is only a suggestion anyway).  But, I've heard they have made changes to Ft Lauderdale so someone who has sailed from there lately will have a better idea.

2 hours ago, 41m33 said:

I've read that we need to be at port 2 hours before our scheduled boarding time of 11. I realize that we can actually board anytime but should we be there for 9 if we plan to board at 11? This seems really early.

I'm not even sure if the terminal is open at 9am.  Some people are still trying to get off the previous sailing at that time.

We usually aim for 10am at Port Evergaldes and it's always been fine.  Smooth sailing.  Quiet.  No lines.

2 hours ago, 41m33 said:

I've read that we need to be at port 2 hours before our scheduled boarding time of 11

Not sure where you got that time, but your scheduled boarding time is a suggestion, not a requirement.  You can arrive to the cruise terminal whenever you please.  No one pays attention to the boarding times.

My suggestion is to get there before 11:30am to avoid the rush that comes closer to noon.

2 hours ago, 41m33 said:

I've read that we need to be at port 2 hours before our scheduled boarding time of 11. I realize that we can actually board anytime but should we be there for 9 if we plan to board at 11? This seems really early.

If you get to the port at 9AM you're going to be waiting around outside in the middle of the disembark madness.  I would definitely NOT suggest that you go that early.  10:30 at the earliest.

Another vote here for 10:30 to 11:00 arrival. That's the window my family and I arrived at Port Everglades a few weeks ago, and there were still a good number people from the disembarkation waiting for their ride pickup. There was a modest crowd, but it moved surprisingly quickly and we were on board within 40-45 minutes. And that's with us being first-time cruisers who'd never navigated a port terminal before.

Adding to this thread...

We are sailing out of Port Everglades on Allure, and here is my plan...I am looking for critiques or better options:

1. Arriving in FLL day before and renting a car

2. Staying at a Spring Hill Suites in Dania Beach about ten minutes from the port -- will be at Dr Von D Mizell-Eula Johnson State Park on the day before to watch Harmony sail away and to verify that it is really Billy or a hologram every week

3. Embarkation Day -- 9:30 am I make an advance trip in the rental to the port to drop off all luggage. Return to FLL to drop off rental.

Option 1 -- Lyft to hotel to get fam. Approx 10:30 am use hotel shuttle or Lyft if shuttle not available to arrive at port by 11 ish.

Option 2 -- Lyft back to port to meet fam and check-in

Thoughts, critiques?

2 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

3. Embarkation Day -- 9:30 am I make an advance trip in the rental to the port to drop off all luggage. Return to FLL to drop off rental.

Option 1 -- Lyft to hotel to get fam. Approx 10:30 am use hotel shuttle or Lyft if shuttle not available to arrive at port by 11 ish.

Thoughts, critiques?

Meeting @monorailmedic is always a mistake.

In terms of what to do, my suggestion is drop off luggage and your family at the port at 10am. If you go earlier, your family will have to wait outside terminal since usually it isn't open yet.  Not the biggest deal in the world, but if it's quite hot out, not ideal.

Drop car off at rental car facility and take Lyft over to the port.

That way, you avoid having to pay for Lyft to go back to the hotel and then to the port.

Just now, DunkelBierJay said:

Thoughts, critiques?

Where are you renting the car from?  Most rental car companies have complimentary shuttles to the port.  I usually rent from FLL and drop off at their closest location to the port.  I would recommend calling to see if they provide a shuttle or if you can change drop-off location. 

Just now, jurrjurr said:

Where are you renting the car from?  Most rental car companies have complimentary shuttles to the port.  I usually rent from FLL and drop off at their closest location to the port.  I would recommend calling to see if they provide a shuttle or if you can change drop-off location. 

I am testing out Sixt which is off sight at FLL -- I have seen mixed reviews about them, but I want to decide for myself -- they don't have a shuttle to the port from the info I gathered so far, so the Lyft pickup would be easier than FLL (in my experience, it has been a pain). Otherwise, I usually use Hertz.

30 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

I am testing out Sixt which is off sight at FLL -- I have seen mixed reviews about them, but I want to decide for myself -- they don't have a shuttle to the port from the info I gathered so far, so the Lyft pickup would be easier than FLL (in my experience, it has been a pain). Otherwise, I usually use Hertz.

I didn't even know they had Sixt in the US.  I have seen it in Europe a lot but never here. 

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I didn't even know they had Sixt in the US.  I have seen it in Europe a lot but never here. 

Yes, they’re expanding in the US quite rapidly. They are in a lot of major locations and in several across Florida. I enjoyed using their app so far. Apparently, all you need for check-in is your phone, and it unlocks your car, and you’re good to go. I have a Mercedes CLA reserved for about $78/day. If I live blog, I’m sure I’ll write about the experience with this company. 

On the first point I completely agree with WAAAYTOOO that 9:00 is too early, Still too much disembarkation insanity going on.  10:45-11:00 is the sweet spot for me.

Secondarily,

4 hours ago, DunkelBierJay said:

Adding to this thread...

We are sailing out of Port Everglades on Allure, and here is my plan...I am looking for critiques or better options:

1. Arriving in FLL day before and renting a car

2. Staying at a Spring Hill Suites in Dania Beach about ten minutes from the port -- will be at Dr Von D Mizell-Eula Johnson State Park on the day before to watch Harmony sail away and to verify that it is really Billy or a hologram every week

Thoughts, critiques?

I agree with Matt.  Drop the family and luggage off, return the car, take a Lyft or taxi back.  My experience with the shuttles is they are somewhat irregular.  Plus they make multiple stops at other ships in port.