What am I missing?

Wilson

We have a 5 night Bermuda sailing booked Oct 13, 2018 in balcony. Just checked and we can do a 7 night Bermuda on same ship and in balcony for $400 less if we go Nov 3, 2018. Seems like switching is a no brainer to me. Is there some reason we would not want to be in Bermuda or on Anthem three weeks later? 

1 hour ago, Wilson said:

@JLMoran you might take a look unless you are locked in to the Oct date.

Unfortunately, I am locked to that date. ? I switched to a non-refundable booking back in October to get a lower rate and better OBC on the JS I have booked. That said, I’d rather go in October as the weather three weeks later could be a lot colder, making it a lot harder to use the outside facilities on Day 1 and Day 6. I’m not like @J_Keeble, I’d die of exposure if I tried going out to the hot tub outdoors when it’s 35° F!

1 hour ago, melski94 said:

It is just a guess, I'd say its fall break or possibly Jersey week and so many schools are out and prices are higher.  If you want a cheaper cruise without a lot of families, go in Nov.

Actually, the schools here are out of session for most or all of Election Day week, not any time in October, as teachers convention is the same week. I just checked, and Election Day for 2018 is November 6. So on that sailing you’re potentially going to be dealing with a lot more families. You’ll also want to make sure you’ve sent in an absentee ballot if you go that week!

2 hours ago, Wilson said:

We have a 5 night Bermuda sailing booked Oct 13, 2018 in balcony. Just checked and we can do a 7 night Bermuda on same ship and in balcony for $400 less if we go Nov 3, 2018. Seems like switching is a no brainer to me. Is there some reason we would not want to be in Bermuda or on Anthem three weeks later? 

Like airline seats prices fluctuate for a number of reasons we never see.  They could have a group booking so only X cabins left, it could regional demand, it could be just weird stuff we'll never understand.  Revenue management does NOT work on a cost plus margin basis.  Like on an airplane there is one person who paid the least, most of the people in the middle and some unfortunate soul who paid the most, sometimes 2, 3 or more times the lucky folks in the cheap seats.

I use this to my advantage to cruise as much as I do, since I can often be flexible.  If you have fixed dates, like teachers, it isn't as rewarding. 

On 12/9/2017 at 2:44 PM, JLMoran said:

Actually, the schools here are out of session for most or all of Election Day week, not any time in October, as teachers convention is the same week. I just checked, and Election Day for 2018 is November 6. So on that sailing you’re potentially going to be dealing with a lot more families. You’ll also want to make sure you’ve sent in an absentee ballot if you go that week!

We've sailed that week twice and you will most definitely be on a ship full of kids Wilson!  I'm actually surprised that it's cheaper that week, usually all travel-related prices go up that week.  Especially flights to Florida.

For 2 days more and $400 less it would be a no brainer for me!! But a ship full of kids, not sure thats a good trade off!....

However, that's one of the downsides to the new non-refundable deposit program Royal has now. It will eliminate the option in a lot of cases to take advantage of a better deal and/or cause more confusion and frustration when seeing a better deal.

On 12/9/2017 at 12:11 PM, Wilson said:

Go for it!

Between our work schedules, fall 2018 was very limited in ability to get away. Dec 09, 2018 worked best for a 7 night. 

Sailing Vision in less than 60 days and look forward to seeing lots of folks from the Blog on the Alaska group cruise. 

• 4 weeks later...