Book Online or Call RC when booking your cruise??

31 minutes ago, Matt said:

I always use a travel agent.  Let someone else fight my fights!

Thanks Matt.  I like mine, but I was also a TA and in Caribbean Hotel sales for 20 years and for whatever reason, I feel like I still know more than she does. Again, I'm also a control freak and want access to the whole booking. Maybe your TA is better than mine, care to share?

I booked direct with RC last time and was annoying at finding all sorts of perks online that RC wouldn't give me, so this time, I went through one of the big cruise websites (not sure if it's ok to mention the name on here?) and got the cabin for the same price but with $150 OBC that I wouldn't have gotten through RC direct. That's quite a big difference to me!! 

Like you, I used to think it was somehow preferable to go through the cruise company directly, but I've changed my mind on that!!

There is only one RoyalCaribbean and plenty of TA wanting your business. What do you think- where do you find more perks. My favorite is the one that starts with cruise and ends with com. 

To maximise the offer and for peace of mind I would suggest 

1. Check TA online 

2. Call RCL

3. Call agent from your online TA

Just now, Matt said:

MEI-Travel (full disclosure: they are a sponsor of this site, although I was using them before this blog existed).

Thank you so much Matt! interesting, I went on certain cruise websites, rates are the same, free gratuities, but no OBC, I think we all want "the deal" I guess you have to pick your battles of what is important to you as an individual. 

2 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Thank you so much Matt! interesting, I went on certain cruise websites, rates are the same, free gratuities, but no OBC, I think we all want "the deal" I guess you have to pick your battles of what is important to you as an individual. 

Very true.  What I value in a TA is someone who will take things "off my plate" so I can do something else.  Of course I can go and book something on the site or call RC and have it changed, but I've "been there, done that".  I'd rather do something else and then get a nice text message that it's all set.  

The real value in a TA is when something goes wrong.  I've had reservations disappear, amenities not show up, etc and having a TA to fight it out with RC has always been such a pleasure!

1 hour ago, Boston Babe said:

Thanks Matt.  I like mine, but I was also a TA and in Caribbean Hotel sales for 20 years and for whatever reason, I feel like I still know more than she does. Again, I'm also a control freak and want access to the whole booking. Maybe your TA is better than mine, care to share?

Ha! @Boston Babe you and I are a lot alike.  Started with the TA, then the control freak in me decided I needed to have more control so I started booking with RC directly.  Then two years ago, I was swayed to go with a TA again because they made an offer on a sailing that I could not refuse.  Did not like not having control over my booking and having to contact the TA for every small change.  And i like to fight my own fights. :10_wink: So now I am back to booking directly with RC on my own.  My husband often says I should become a TA when I retire from teaching lol.

I will check the prices first online and then call directly to get the full inventory of rooms available.  I have notice (as many have) the website is fussy.  Sometimes it shows availability and then it won't take you through all the way.  That is why I call them in the end.

16 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

And i like to fight my own fights. :10_wink: So now I am back to booking directly with RC on my own.  My husband often says I should become a TA when I retire from teaching lol.

I will check the prices first online and then call directly to get the full inventory of rooms available.  I have notice (as many have) the website is fussy.  Sometimes it shows availability and then it won't take you through all the way.  That is why I call them in the end.

LOL @Sabrinaklai you sound soooo much like me!  I found also when I call different cabins are available than showing online.  I think I'll just call and book with RC.  I really didn't see any difference in pricing with TA.  BTW, husband retired teacher!! :) 

1 minute ago, Boston Babe said:

LOL @Sabrinaklai you sound soooo much like me!  I found also when I call different cabins are available than showing online.  I think I'll just call and book with RC.  I really didn't see any difference in pricing with TA.  BTW, husband retired teacher!! :) 

Yes, I have found they have more available when you call them.  Checking online gives me the price range and I go from there.

Royal requires that all TAs sell the cruise at the same price. However, that doesn't prohibit them from adding in incentives like gratuities, OBC, trip insurance, etc. Sometimes this is an arrangement they have with the cruise line; other times, part of the commission is bring used to pay for the perks. Personally, if give up the perks for better service from a full service agency. 

4 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Ha! @Boston Babe you and I are a lot alike.  Started with the TA, then the control freak in me decided I needed to have more control so I started booking with RC directly.  Then two years ago, I was swayed to go with a TA again because they made an offer on a sailing that I could not refuse.  Did not like not having control over my booking and having to contact the TA for every small change.  And i like to fight my own fights. :10_wink: So now I am back to booking directly with RC on my own.  My husband often says I should become a TA when I retire from teaching lol.

Woohoo Teaching Profession!!!!! I have 27 years with Chicago Public schools and I am still going strong.

1 hour ago, DocLC said:

Royal requires that all TAs sell the cruise at the same price. However, that doesn't prohibit them from adding in incentives like gratuities, OBC, trip insurance, etc. Sometimes this is an arrangement they have with the cruise line; other times, part of the commission is bring used to pay for the perks. Personally, if give up the perks for better service from a full service agency. 

Bingo! Just savings alone on gratuities is good enough reason to go with online TA (couple hundreds for two and sometimes free massage or specialty restaurant or more OBC) that's why it is worth to check and also CALL them. Sometimes real person can pull some strings and get you some extras that you don't get while relaying on booking online alone. Be polite and ask, it will not hurt :)

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

My hat's off to @Sweety, @Sabrinaklai, and @Boston Babe's husband! You all have really important jobs and I really appreciate how much you and all the others like you do for the kids you teach and have taught.

Joe, teachers need more parents like you! :12_slight_smile:

I booked my next cruise over the phone (too many bugs online). Myself, wife and 2 kids in interconnecting rooms.

No problems so far, though the cruise is still 12 months away. However credit where it's due to RC - a few weeks after booking, they contacted me to advise that my two children had been re-priced (I forget the reason) and they reduced our payment by $55 per child.

18 hours ago, JLMoran said:

My hat's off to @Sweety, @Sabrinaklai, and @Boston Babe's husband! You all have really important jobs and I really appreciate how much you and all the others like you do for the kids you teach and have taught.

Thank you so much for that @JLMoran he gave his ALL as I'm sure everyone is! Taught in South Bronx, Special Ed, 30 years! Which is why he's retired and looking forward to CRUISING! LOL

10 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

You go girl!!! Chicago Public Schools has to be tough but rewarding! Husband, South Bronx for 30 years!!

Hats off to your husband! I love talking to other teachers on the cruise ship. I have met many teacher-friends throughout the years. We keep in touch and send encouraging words to each other during the school year.

To provide an example of how a TA can benefit you, I've been trying to turn an upcoming Anthem cruise into a B2B.  Pricing has been pretty volatile, changing hourly.  Direct, either online or calling RCI, they stopped offering a solo OV guarantee fare 2 days ago, I would have to book a phantom guest as my +1, pay the port fees and taxes for my phantom up front then show up without them and wait for the port fees and taxes for them to refund back after the cruise.  I had a hold from yesterday on such a fare booked direct as a fall back plan.

This morning my TA was able to find a solo OV guarantee that I couldn't, so she created a hold for me and called me.  Same base rate but I wouldn't have to play the "oh dear, my 2nd guest couldn't make the cruise" game.    Same OBC, plus the regular airline miles I get using this agency.  Those add up and I generally can fly for free to a couple cruises every year.  

Once booked the cruise planner works the same, including sales this weekend.  I can make my own dinner reservations, buy drink packages, book entertainment, etc. all on my own.  

I've had situations before where certain specific cabins couldn't be booked direct.  It was explained to me that blocks of rooms are committed to agencies and you have to use an agency to book them.  On Oasis I wanted a specific loft suite that I couldn't book direct but I had no issues getting the cabin I wanted through an agency.  

41 minutes ago, Hannah said:

I just call RC direct to book my cruises. I did book through TA first time and they did a great job but found I can get my better price direct from RC. I just guess to each their own. "next sailing is May 2018" with RC.

That's strange and shouldn't happen. If it did on a regular basis, TAs would be out of business as they wouldn't be able to compete. 

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I've had situations before where certain specific cabins couldn't be booked direct.  It was explained to me that blocks of rooms are committed to agencies and you have to use an agency to book them.  On Oasis I wanted a specific loft suite that I couldn't book direct but I had no issues getting the cabin I wanted through an agency.  

Hmm...interesting.  Thanks @twangster.  Going to file that little bit of knowledge away for the future.

On 2017-10-20 at 10:44 AM, Boston Babe said:

Thank you so much for that @JLMoran he gave his ALL as I'm sure everyone is! Taught in South Bronx, Special Ed, 30 years! Which is why he's retired and looking forward to CRUISING! LOL

Wow! @Boston Babe hats off to your husband. 30 years in Spec. Ed.  Not many people know how hard that is.  Amazing.  I will have to think about people like him when I get frustrated with my hormonal 12 & 13 year old students that I deal with daily :12_slight_smile:

23 hours ago, Cez said:

Bingo! Just savings alone on gratuities is good enough reason to go with online TA (couple hundreds for two and sometimes free massage or specialty restaurant or more OBC) that's why it is worth to check and also CALL them. Sometimes real person can pull some strings and get you some extras that you don't get while relaying on booking online alone. Be polite and ask, it will not hurt :)

Wow!  I booked with TA which sponsors this blog site and got nothing extra -- no savings on gratuities or any freebies or OBC -- nothing different than if booked online direct with RCCL.  The transAtlantic cruise in a couple of weeks will be our first cruise.  If we enjoy this then plan to do many more since now retired and that is what retirement is for...travel. 

Yesterday I contacted the same TA to inquire about an Alaskan cruise, asking for balcony room for my husband and myself; then a separate quote if we are party of 7 people (including 2 small children and 1 teenager)  in either 2 balcony rooms or a large suite.  Getting prices was like pulling teeth!  Seems like a TA should provide suggestions but this one does not. 
<rant over>

40 minutes ago, Judy Rouse said:

Yesterday I contacted the same TA to inquire about an Alaskan cruise, asking for balcony room for my husband and myself; then a separate quote if we are party of 7 people (including 2 small children and 1 teenager)  in either 2 balcony rooms or a large suite.  Getting prices was like pulling teeth!  Seems like a TA should provide suggestions but this one does not.

Judy, if the specific TA from MEI isn't working out for you as far as responsiveness or level of service that you are looking for, you can always request another. MEI has many agents, and I'm sure you can find one who is more to your liking. Just call their general number, let the rep know what issues you have with your current agent and what exactly you're looking for, and they should be able to find you a better match.

Failing that, you can certainly change agencies. There's nothing holding you to MEI, and Matt won't be offended if you find a different agency / agent meets your needs better. :14_relaxed:

3 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Wow! @Boston Babe hat's off to your husband. 30 years in Spec. Ed.  Not many people know how hard that is.  Amazing.  I will have to think about people like him when I get frustrated with my hormonal 12 & 13 year old students that I deal with daily :12_slight_smile:

I have 27 years in SPED high School math. Yeah to SPED teachers.

15 hours ago, Sweety said:

I have 27 years in SPED high School math. Yeah to SPED teachers.

Wow!!! It's a tough job but so rewarding, my husband always said I should be a teacher, I firmly responded that I would end up in jail !! LOL ( my patience level is not what his is!) as I'm sure yours is wonderful too! 

21 hours ago, DocLC said:

That's strange and shouldn't happen. If it did on a regular basis, TAs would be out of business as they wouldn't be able to compete. 

Well, I just had a case in point. My May cruise is booked through T/A.  Being the control freak I am I check everyday for a drop in price. Lo and behold, today there was a drop in price. My TA is off on Saturdays but I called the agency and got someone else on the phone.  She called RC, yes, my price will be reduced $183.00 for the booking AND I got another $100 of OBC!!  If I didn't keep checking I may have lost out on this if I waited till Monday. I know it's only $183 in the big picture, but that and the extra OBC I know I don't have to order Drink Package as we are also in a Suite.! Happy Saturday for me! LOL

19 hours ago, Judy Rouse said:

Yesterday I contacted the same TA to inquire about an Alaskan cruise ...  Getting prices was like pulling teeth!  Seems like a TA should provide suggestions but this one does not. 

Sounds like a bad or new agent.  I asked for a quote for this sites Alaska group cruise next June and quickly received it.  Since it has become a long email thread with quotes for different cabin types.  We've gone back and forth due to my indecisiveness but that's on me.   

Here is an example of different cabins being offered direct versus through an agency.  This is for the Explorer of the Seas on June 22, 2018 - the Royal Caribbean Blog Alaska Group Cruise which I am booking today.  Category 4U Inside Virtual Balcony.  Direct RCI is showing 4 cabins available to book on deck 9.  Multiple agencies are offering 12 cabins available to book on deck 9.  

Exp OTS Comparison.jpeg