7 Night Norwegian Fjords - My First Cruise! Any tips?

I'm very excited to share that I just booked my first-ever cruise, Royal Caribbean's 7 Night Norwegian Fjords tour in mid-June! 

Any tips from the pros out there? I'd love advice on:

• Excursions (several have already sold out, alas)
  • Onboard activities
  • Recommendations on food and dining

If it helps, here's some more about me: I'm a solo traveler, will be 50 by the time the tour happens, kind of a foodie, not a big drinker (maybe on mixed drink a day on vacation), moderately active, and pretty good at self-navigating on vacation. Here's what I'm looking at:

• Pulpit Rock Adventure Hike in Stravanger, which will probably be the extent of my more strenuous excursions 🙂
  • Some more laid-back excursions or possibly hitting some of these shore areas on my own vs. cruise excursion
  • Refreshment (non-alcoholic drink) package, and then just paying for occasional alcoholic drinks as I have them
  • Unlimited Dining Package (although I'm not *quite* sure how this works)
  • The Key VIP pass, mostly for the internet and late debarkment
  • North Star Extended Experience

Anything I'm looking at buying that's not worth it? Anything I'm not considering that I should be?

Thanks... I appreciate any ideas!

Hi @New Cruiser from Kansas and welcome to the boards. 😊

Check out this thread on the Shore Excursions board. I posted my research in it for our Norwegian fjords cruise last year. You don't mention which ports you're visiting except for Stavanger but at least it will give you a starting point.

Also @Plasticbrain is from Norway and has posted lots of useful information. The easiest way to find it is to open the Shore Excursions board and type the word "Norway" into the search box towards the top right.

Hope it helps. 😊

hello,
Very nice cruise!
For excursions, it is possible to book with https://www.norwayexcursions.com/ who works a lot with cruises. They are great. A flaam, the tourist train (very nice views) directly on site or on the website https://www.norwaysbest.com/

For drinks, if you are not a big drinker. No package (non-alcoholic <$7 each, with alcohol $14). Save.
Internet: buy a package before (on the level it is more expensive)
Meals: meals are included (table or buffet). Packages are for themed restaurants or specialties. For a first cruise, wait to see on the spot.

6 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I'm so jealous.  I was all set to book this and then a family friend decided to get married, monkey wrench in the whole planning.
Enjoy!!

Better reschedule that! After 2025 it’ll be harder to cruise the fjords. I have us booked on celebrity out of Southampton in June 2025. Better itinerary than Indy. 

On 3/24/2024 at 10:36 PM, New Cruiser from Kansas said:

Flam

Hi! I will be on Anthem this summer with my two youngest (teenagers) and it will be our first time on a Norway cruise - this thread is very timely! Based on one of the posts Matt shared and @FionaMG's and @cedricmr great advice, I booked direct. From what I understand, the Flam rail times do sell out so I booked through Norways Best to ensure I have my first choice of time slots because we have a RIB tour that afternoon. It was also a fraction of the price Royal is offering. Unless you have a tender port, you may not need the Key unless you get a fantastic deal- especially if you get the dining package. 

5 hours ago, TessFromFlorida said:

Hi! I will be on Anthem this summer with my two youngest (teenagers) and it will be our first time on a Norway cruise - this thread is very timely! Based on one of the posts Matt shared and @FionaMG's and @cedricmr great advice, I booked direct. From what I understand, the Flam rail times do sell out so I booked through Norways Best to ensure I have my first choice of time slots because we have a RIB tour that afternoon. It was also a fraction of the price Royal is offering. Unless you have a tender port, you may not need the Key unless you get a fantastic deal- especially if you get the dining package. 

Nice! 😊

I haven't been to Flam but I too have read that the train sells out so it was a good move to get the tickets in advance.

Heads up - it will not get fully dark AT ANY TIME. 
I Iive in Scotland and mid June it just about thinks of getting dark from 11:30pm to about 12:30 am

with Norway being further North there is a reason it is called the land of the midnight sun

Bring layers. You are going north and even in the summer it can be chilly in the middle of the night if you are out on deck 

also you are are up by the arctic circle so it is likely to be cooler

oh and don’t be surprised if it rains

We did a similar cruise last fall and are also early 50's.  We hiked Pulpit Rock with the bus booked through visitNorway.com.  We brought our own granola bars and waters.    In Olden we booked through Olden Adventures  http://oldenadventure.com/ did both the glacier and Loen.  In Haugesund we did the coastal path hike https://www.fjordnorway.com/en/inspiration/day-trips/haugesund/walk-the-coastal-trail-in-haugesund. We visited Geiranger and not Flam so can't help there.    For Pulpit Rock you definitely want hiking boots/shoes and a waterproof windbreaker.  Lots of people were going in sneakers and in places it was slick and they struggled.