ATT Cruise Package or VOOM?

I am trying to decide on whether to purchase ATT Cruise Package or VOOM? It looks like ATT charges $60 and VOOM is $80. I don't plan on using excessive data, just want WIFI to be able to text. I heard that ATT has less signal than VOOM-wanted to confirm if that was true.

I appreciate all the advice!

Have never used it but AT&T does offer an international day pass for in-country service. It's $10 for the primary line and $5 for each extra line. It uses your existing data/talk plan. You can sign-up by country on their website prior to your cruise. Also believe they will text you the offer if you take your phone out of airplane mode while ashore.

Further most of their plans offer free service in Mexico since AT&T is a carrier there. You have to enable the free sign-up but it's a set it and forget feature. We've used that in Cozumel, Costa Mya and Cancun for years.

[BTW I am AT&T employee and am only sharing this info for informational purposes.]

1 hour ago, Ubiquitous Cruiser said:

Have never used it but AT&T does offer an international day pass for in-country service. It's $10 for the primary line and $5 for each extra line. It uses your existing data/talk plan. You can sign-up by country on their website prior to your cruise. Also believe they will text you the offer if you take your phone out of airplane mode while ashore.

Further most of their plans offer free service in Mexico since AT&T is a carrier there. You have to enable the free sign-up but it's a set it and forget feature. We've used that in Cozumel, Costa Mya and Cancun for years.

[BTW I am AT&T employee and am only sharing this info for informational purposes.]

But none of that is applicable to cellular service while the ship is at sea.

6 hours ago, loki007 said:

Star Link will be much better than cell service at sea

Yeah not an expert on this but isn't there no cell service in much of the ocean? Isn't VOOM pretty much the only option?

I'm an AT&T cellular customer have been for over 20 years and I'm telling you go with VOOM.  VOOM is reliable and for the most part has great download speeds.  

Now if you are looking to use your cell phone while in port while away from the ship then you would need AT&T's international day pass, it's $10 dollars per day and it covers over 210 countries. 

On 3/8/2024 at 2:38 PM, Ubiquitous Cruiser said:

You have to enable the free sign-up but it's a set it and forget feature. We've used that in Cozumel, Costa Mya and Cancun for years.

@Ubiquitous Cruiser Can you elaborate a bit on the "you have to enable the free sign-up" part?  I'm an AT&T customer and when I sign in to view my account on the AT&T site, it does show my service extends to all of Canada and Mexico.  I'll be sailing on Harmony in about a week withs stops in Costa Maya and Cozumel.  Are you saying I need to enable something with AT&T in order to use my phone in Mexico?  I thought it would just work.  Thanks in advance for any extra help!

43 minutes ago, ckelley03 said:

@Ubiquitous Cruiser Can you elaborate a bit on the "you have to enable the free sign-up" part?  I'm an AT&T customer and when I sign in to view my account on the AT&T site, it does show my service extends to all of Canada and Mexico.  I'll be sailing on Harmony in about a week withs stops in Costa Maya and Cozumel.  Are you saying I need to enable something with AT&T in order to use my phone in Mexico?  I thought it would just work.  Thanks in advance for any extra help!

16 minutes ago, teddy said:

Our US ATT plan includes Canada and Mexico by default. The International Day Pass is on top of the US, Canada, and Mexico. 

Thank you @teddy, that was my understanding as well.  I don't want to get an International Day Pass for $10 per day per line if Mexico is already included.  I mainly just wanted to confirm I don't need to do anything extra with my account to get it to work in Mexico if it's already included with my plan.  Ubiquitous Cruiser implied additional steps were needed, but maybe I misunderstood.

2 minutes ago, ckelley03 said:

Thank you @teddy, that was my understanding as well.  I don't want to get an International Day Pass for $10 per day per line if Mexico is already included.  I mainly just wanted to confirm I don't need to do anything extra with my account to get it to work in Mexico if it's already included with my plan.  Ubiquitous Cruiser implied additional steps were needed, but maybe I misunderstood.

If you have in AT&T, all you need to do in Mexico is turn airplane mode off and it should auto connect to the cellular network in Mexico and cost you nothing extra.

The international pass is for other ports outside of Mexico or Canada.