I Swapped Out MDR for WJ

Ok, so a couple weeks ago I posted about being frustrated with the MDR parades and constant announcements, so this past week I sailed a solo 5 nighter on Explorer and decided to only eat in the Windjammer. Here are my takeaways:

• I tried to eat a salad/soup/or some other appetizer, followed by an entree dish and dessert to compare times. I was in and out in 37 minutes on average.

• I cruise quite frequently, so I’ve grown kind of apathetic to the new menus already, and the WJ allowed me the option to try some new things (the good and the bad), and the ability to make my own dish. Chicken AND fish AND pasta on the same plate? Yep. 

• Service (or should I say self service) moves at the speed I want. I sped through dinner on the nights I had plans, and took a leisurely pace the other times. And best of all, no parades or dance parties mid meal. 

• Since I didn’t have a server, per se, I didn’t have the inclination to pay additional gratuities. 

• Normally my family of 6 eats in the MDR and regardless of the theme, the boys wear suits and ties, the girls wear dresses. Not packing that and the pre-dinner half hour (at least) preparation was surprisingly noticeable. A week away with just a carry on and being able to go from pool deck to dinner in 10 minutes was a real treat. 

My 11 year old son and I will be sailing on Indy in a couple of weeks and he said he’d love to try the WJ for dinners as well. I’ll let you know his thoughts afterward. 

We did that for quite a while for various personal reasons. Mostly, I like to eat a lot and was never a huge MDR fan and my wife is picky so she would wind up ordering the boring standby caesar salad and grilled chicken in the MDR too often. Recently we've been mixing it up a bit depending on that night's MDR menu, ship, etc.

Looking forward to checking out Wonder's WJ for dinner.

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Looking forward to checking out Wonder's WJ for dinner.

Dessert Tip: Kids Dessert Bar. Look for the chocolate/chocolate/white chocolate  chip cookies. I think I ate my weight in those things last April. 

Why they were only at the kiddie Dessert Bar I don't know but thank God I'm shameless.......🤣

36 minutes ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

Dessert Tip: Kids Dessert Bar. Look for the chocolate/chocolate/white chocolate  chip cookies. I think I ate my weight in those things last April. 

Why they were only at the kiddie Dessert Bar I don't know but thank God I'm shameless.......🤣

I had a few snacks from the kids section on Wonder in June. Good stuff there for all ages!

I popped in during breakfast and lunch; I just didn't get the chance to visit during dinner b/c I was with extended family in Sky Class so we were taking advantage of CK/SL while we had access (rare for us).

I started in the MDR on one cruise and after two nights went to Windjammer for the rest of the week.   I enjoy making a salad with what I want.  However I never feel the food is fresh, except the carving station.   I actually enjoyed HOT food on the Jewel last week and it was the MDR! 

I have given up the desserts on cruises but on my last night of our cruise I went to the windjammer after the turkey dinner. Baklava!  OMG it was so good.  So good that I went back on the last night of my second cruise.   I won’t try the other desserts-this was good enough for me! 

6 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I started in the MDR on one cruise and after two nights went to Windjammer for the rest of the week.   I enjoy making a salad with what I want.  However I never feel the food is fresh, except the carving station.   I actually enjoyed HOT food on the Jewel last week and it was the MDR! 

I have given up the desserts on cruises but on my last night of our cruise I went to the windjammer after the turkey dinner. Baklava!  OMG it was so good.  So good that I went back on the last night of my second cruise.   I won’t try the other desserts-this was good enough for me! 

I love baklava! 😋

Many years ago, it would show up in the MDR on longer sailings. I have never seen it in the WJ but, just in case you didn't know, it's one of the desserts at dinner in the Solarium Bistro, on the ships that have one... 😉

I like both the MDR and Facejammer.  We look at the MDR menu every day and definitely have those nights we are happier at the 'Jammer. There are also some nights I'd rather have a sampling of foods vs. an entree. I also appreciate a more laid-back night sometimes where I don't have to wait for a table, wait for food, etc. 

Plus....can't beat the view! 

20230822_182138.jpg

After cruising a multitude of times in the past two years and treating it partially like a class in Royal Caribbean cruising, I personally prefer the Windjammer over the MDR. In exchange for a couple menu items per evening (either more expensive offerings, like lobster tail, or things which don't work on a buffet) there's a wider range of options than what's presented on the MDR menu with which you're free to mix and match. Service is at your speed. Portion sizing is under your control. However, the Eggs Benedict is better in the MDR and the presentation of the French onion soup is better there too (though I find it easier to eat when having it in the 'jammer since there isn't a broiled mess of cheese on top). Depending on the ship class there's fantastic views from the Windjammer; that goes double in Alaska.

My biggest issue is/was getting over the mental hurdle of "I'm passing up a table service meal for a buffet," even when I'm finding the buffet to be better. 

13 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I love baklava! 😋

Many years ago, it would show up in the MDR on longer sailings. I have never seen it in the WJ but, just in case you didn't know, it's one of the desserts at dinner in the Solarium Bistro, on the ships that have one... 😉

Funny you mention that.  On a recent sailing I had gone to the Solarium bistro to seek out the baklava-I must have seen it on a menu or heard someone had it.  I stood patiently to tell the maitre'd I'd like to just grab a dessert and leave.  He ignored us and then walked away.  I took that opporutnity to walk over to the dessert area and snatch a plateful.  This goes against my "no dessert" policy, but boy it is so worth it!

3 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

Funny you mention that.  On a recent sailing I had gone to the Solarium bistro to seek out the baklava-I must have seen it on a menu or heard someone had it.  I stood patiently to tell the maitre'd I'd like to just grab a dessert and leave.  He ignored us and then walked away.  I took that opporutnity to walk over to the dessert area and snatch a platefu.  This goes against my "no dessert" policy, but boy it is so worth it!

I haven't done that yet but I have it pencilled in for my upcoming sailing on the nights when there is no royal chocolate cake in the MDR. 😂

My wife has back issues and can’t sit for the amount of time it takes to eat in the MDR. We like my time, my portions, my food selections., and leisure dress. One of the comedians commented on the Windjammer, saying you can have a potato dinner. Mashed, sweet, French fried, sliced, and baked. Sometimes you can start it off with baked  potato soup. 

I stumbled into Indian night in the WJ once and OMG, so good. I never miss it now. I still get surprised by how bad an item may be from time to time, but for the most part I've been enough times to know what I like and you learn what to look for. Like I try and sit where I can see them loading fresh stuff on the line. And then I'll go check out what they brought. I am always amazed that someone will get say a pork chop that looks like its been sitting for 4 hours and then complain about it. Yes, it'd be nice if they'd refresh it more diligently, but you have eyes in your head. If it looks like it is dry and not fresh, just move on. I also have taken to befriending the staff in the WJ and if you ask nicely they can go get you a fresher serving of something. I don't know if they are supposed to do that, but I've not had them tell me they cant. And I will most definitely tip that worker with cash directly in their hand for service like that. And if you do that on night one or two and sit in relatively the same area every time, they will seek you out the rest of the cruise and make sure you are taken care of. And I am sure to mention them by name in the survey.