Difficulty adding a 4th guest to a Grand Suite reservation

JLARZ

We have a Grand Suite (1-bedroom) booked on Mariner in January. We originally booked 3 guests (capacity for a Grand Suite is 4 guests). We are now trying to add a 4th guest and RC customer service is telling us they cannot due to ship capacity. They are, however, offering to book a separate SINGLE cabin at 4X the cost of adding the 4th to a Grand suite.. 

Has anyone ever experienced this and do you have a successful resolution method?

Yes, this can be true. The ship/sailing could have maxed out on lifeboat capacity. So even if you're not maxed out in the room, they will not add anymore because they can not overfill the lifeboats. This tends to happen if you are very close to sail date or if you are sailing during a high/busy season like Christmas, NYE, Spring break, etc.

Someone who can word these things much better than I can jump in to explain this but it has to do with the number of seats available in each lifeboat at a specific muster station.

Your cabin, the GS, has a specific muster station that has a specific lifeboat assigned to it. That specific lifeboat has a certain number of seats. Once those seats are all taken, you cannot add anymore to your cabin even if your cabin can hold them, because if there was an emergency, the lifeboat would be overloaded. 

@Lovetocruise2002 You explained it well

A ship can have open availability just not in the area you are located. So if you are trying to book a room, you can easily but if you are trying to book an aft room on deck 6, you might not be able to because of lifeboat capacity. 

Is there a grand suite available in another location of the ship? If that cabin is in a different location for example aft versus mid, see if you can change the location of the grand and then hopefully you can add your 4th, good luck!

@Lovetocruise2002 you explained it well! 

24 minutes ago, Neesa said:

Is there a grand suite available in another location of the ship? If that cabin is in a different location for example aft versus mid, see if you can change the location of the grand and then hopefully you can add your 4th, good luck

Oh, that is a really good idea! 
And @Ampurp85 and @Neesa, both your explanations sound better than mine 😂

7 hours ago, JLARZ said:

Thank you. I could understand that line of reasoning if it weren’t for the fact that I can go on to the RC website right now and book several different room types for the same cruise. Am I missing something?

Since you are stating there are other GS available perhaps inquire if they can change your cabin to one that can accommodate 4 people.  Be careful, they may try to reprice the entire cabin.  If they do try to reprice the cabin insist to speak with a supervisor and ask about changing cabins to one that can accommodate 4 people without a reprice since you can’t add someone to your existing cabin due to a limit on your muster station (that is what appears to be the problem)

Super helpful, folks. I wish the agent yesterday was more forthcoming about the problem. Instead he just repeated “I cannot add another person at this time, that is all I can do”. Will probably keep checking back to see if there has been a cancellation within our Muster group that would open up a slot. Thank you all!

• 2 weeks later...