Error, or other reason? (Interesting pricing)

jbrinkm

Just keeping an eye on the prices for our March sailing on Symphony. My parents are in a 3rd floor oceanview and I'd love to be able to upgrade them to a better room/balcony. Today I see this price, with large balcony for less than regular balcony. I checked the rooms available for the large balcony, assuming they were in a bad location, but no - they are on good floors, center of the ship, multiple choices available. I'm wondering if this was an error, or if not, what reasoning might be behind the lower price for a bigger balcony?

2023-10-30(2).png.ef2cf39de770b253008e8ab352f4f641.png

22 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

I once saw balconies at lower costs than ocean view cabins. It's gotta be something in their marketing/algorithm/supply/demand thing and all I can say is - grab it now because that will almost for sure be gone tomorrow

I'm trying but the TA system seems to be temporarily down (I emailed her immediately). Crossing my fingers that we can grab this today...

Hope you're able to get it 🤞

I've been able to take advantage of these algorithms twice on an upcoming cruise on Anthem. Originally booked OV Gty. Then one day a Bal Gty was cheaper so I switched to that. Then not very long after that the OV with large balcony showed up cheaper than the Gty. 

Upshot is I now have a specified large balcony room for $300 pp cheaper than my original OV Gty. 😁

Prices are generated by a computer based on an algorithm that uses availability/supply and demand...So, often, they make little sense.  We are on an upcoming Celebrity Eclipse cruise where, RIGHT NOW, a standard balcony is priced at $970 pp but an upscaled Concierge class balcony is priced at $479 pp!!  Seriously.  But, it changes constantly...

We have another upcoming cruise...on Celebrity Millennium in Japan, 12 nights, one of B2B cruises...where we originally booked in 2019 for 2021...but got lifted and shifted constantly due to the pandemic.  We originally booked an OV fro somewhere around $2500-3000 pp since all the balconies were sold out.  I kept monitoring the website for balconies becoming available.  Suddenly, one night THREE Concierge balconies suddenly came up...and, since it looked to the computer like supply and demand so drastically reversed, it priced them at a mere $1050 pp!!!  I knew this would not last long, so I grabbed one fast...figured I'd call my TA in the morning and sort it all out...and, I immediately called my sister and B-I-L--who were also on the cruise--and they grabbed one of the others.  The third one disappeared in mere minutes as well...and the category was, again, sold out.   BUT, in the meanwhile, we've lifted and shifted three times, retaining that incredible price...and, in the lift and shifts, it changed to a 12 night cruise so they LOWERED the price.  We will be going, finally, in March 2024...and for that particular sailing, we now have a 12 night cruise in a Concierge balcony with included drinks, Wifi, gratuities and $400 in OBC for a mere $1836--TOTAL for two!!!

The lesson is, when you see one of those computer priced anomalies, GRAB IT FAST!!!

If we were booking a new reservation now, it would have been a good deal, but it ended up not being a worth it compared to what we already booked (we're in regular sized OV balconies that were originally part of the group pricing from our TA) and was still pretty pricey to upgrade my parents from a GTY oceanview. So didn't work out for us, but if anyone is wanting to book a new balcony room on Symphony in March, this might be a good deal for you!

Some of the time the Supply and Demand drives me crazy.  I watch the Solo Balcony and some of the time they are more than twice the price of a regular Balcony.  When I have a Solo Balcony and watch the price they will sail out and a regular balcony never drops low enough to switch.  You never know what prices are going to do.