MTD again

CruisinTed

After much deliberation and careful consideration, I have arrived at the following mathematical equation:

MTD = sh!t.

1. We made MDR reservations just after it opened up in the app, and for every night there was only one available time for MTD: 8:15 or 8:45. Nothing else. So My Time Dining is really RCCL Time Dining.

2. MTD guests are placed on deck 3 of the MDR. The worst deck where tables are jam packed and the noise level is deafening.

3. If you bring bottles of wine onboard and you want to enjoy them at dinner, the staff will not take care of them for you because you are seated at different tables every night. So you have to keep the bottles in your cabin and carry them to the MDR and back to your cabin every night.

We had MTD on Explorer last week, it was appaling. We managed to book for 6:45 every night before the cruise, however Royal changed the start of MTD to 7:15 on day 2, as a result were were put wherever they wanted. One day, deck 5 on a table for 8, even though there was only 2 of us, we felt somewhat silly having a huge table to ourselves.

Not quite sure why Royal has such a problem with MTD (at least on Explorer), Celebrity had it spot on when we last cruised with them.

It got so bad we gave up on it and ended up in the buffet a couple of nights.

I read a suggestion somewhere that I liked, that Royal just eliminate MTD and go to 3 dining times - 5:00pm, 6:30pm, 8pm. We found that the new menus streamlined the dining process and we were typically done in about an hour to an hour fifteen, so the timing does seem possible, if Royal is able to be consistent. It really doesn't sound like MTD works well from everything I read which is why I always choose early dining. If someone needs more flexibility, there are other dining options. 

2 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

I read a suggestion somewhere that I liked, that Royal just eliminate MTD and go to 3 dining times - 5:00pm, 6:30pm, 8pm. We found that the new menus streamlined the dining process and we were typically done in about an hour to an hour fifteen, so the timing does seem possible, if Royal is able to be consistent. It really doesn't sound like MTD works well from everything I read which is why I always choose early dining. If someone needs more flexibility, there are other dining options. 

Royal's plan is working - make MTD so dysfunctional folks will give up on it. 

I can hear the executives in Miami now... "See!  No one uses MTD so lets get rid of it".  

I have never had an issue with MTD. I make my reservations as soon as they open in the cruise planner.

When we get to the 1st night we ask the hostess to make sure we get the same table and wait staff every night. 

Only on our last cruise was the wait staff slow and that was the 1 and only night we asked them to be speedy as we had a show to get to. They were not and I mentioned it to the head waiter and the rest of the cruise they were spot on.

If you don't speak up and say something right when things happen, then it wont get any better and they wont know they are doing anything you don't want.

3 hours ago, Simon84 said:

We have MTD and I’ve made reservations for either 7:15 or 7:30 every night. I’ve heard about long queues, but I assume that with a reservation we’ll walk straight in?

No. That is the weird part, you still will stand in line. Sometimes the "without" reservation line moves quicker than the "with."

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

No. That is the weird part, you still will stand in line. Sometimes the "without" reservation line moves quicker than the "with."

Oh no! I assume our TA would be able to switch us the later sitting despite the fact we’ve already booked? 

If we are able to switch for 8pm, are you usually able to get there 15 minutes or so earlier?

18 hours ago, Simon84 said:

Oh no! I assume our TA would be able to switch us the later sitting despite the fact we’ve already booked? 

If we are able to switch for 8pm, are you usually able to get there 15 minutes or so earlier?

No. But a small maybe. With traditional dining you have a set table. They might have guest still seated up until 5min before your time. But keep in mind you will wait in line regardless of traditional or MTD. The dining room will not open until it is ready. I had traditional dining at 8pm and because of a late port day, one night it didn't open until 8:15. But another caveat is that traditional dining times have seem to have changed. I have traditional dining on an Allure sailing 10/15 and late dining is 7:45pm. 

11 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

No. But a small maybe. With traditional dining you have a set table. They might have guest still seated up until 5min before your time. But keep in mind you will wait in line regardless of traditional or MTD. The dining room will not open until it is ready. I had traditional dining at 8pm and because of a late port day, one night it didn't open until 8:15. But another caveat is that traditional dining times have seem to have changed. I have traditional dining on an Allure sailing 10/15 and late dining is 7:45pm. 

Very very rare for Traditional Dinning not to open on time.  In fact yours is the very first I've ever heard of it no opening at the published time

Yes in fact all the traditional dining time seam to be moving by 15 to 30 minutes sometimes only once on board do you find out.  New Early traditional times can be 5: 5:15; 5:30. Late Traditional 7:00; 7:45; 8:00 time recently have been leaning towards the earlier times