Oasis, emergency reroute last night

TonyYOW

We're currently on our way from NYC to Orlando. I woke up some time at night because of some vibration that is usually happening on port approach. 

In the morning the captain said we had to go to Virginia, I believe it was a medical emergency. 

It's going to be late arrival to Port Canaveral and we're at max speed right now, and it's rocky... 

Screenshot_20231002-100502.thumb.png.da72088236a75aaa2fec0f743856889f.png

It is shocking to me how often this happens now. I have been cruising for 20 years, first cruise as a honeymoon in 2003. Up until the relaunch (I did not travel during the restrictions) I had never once witnessed any type of medical emergency. We've been on four cruises since the restart and there have been medical emergencies (more than one) on each cruise, and two deaths that I know of. What in the heck is going on? 

Back in 2011, we were on a Disney cruise and it actually happened twice during the same sailing! First time, we were leaving St. Thomas and my youngest son says "dad, it looks like we're turning back to port". Sure enough, we did in fact turn back and had to let off a family where a family member had a medical emergency. Then a couple of days later, we were heading towards Castaway Cay and the captain announces we have to divert to Grand Turk to let off another ill passenger and family. We saw the ambulance take the passenger away.

1 hour ago, Bowen said:

It is shocking to me how often this happens now. I have been cruising for 20 years, first cruise as a honeymoon in 2003. Up until the relaunch (I did not travel during the restrictions) I had never once witnessed any type of medical emergency. We've been on four cruises since the restart and there have been medical emergencies (more than one) on each cruise, and two deaths that I know of. What in the heck is going on? 

I still think in the post-restart era the threshold to divert and evacuate is a lot lower than it was before.

I couldn't hear the announcement because it didn't play inside my room. I heard him speaking over the intercom in the hallway and opened my door only to catch the words "medical emergency" and "strongest currents in the world". I'm glad you posted this to clarify. I felt the vibration as well, didn't realize we were at port!

I heard there was also an electrical issue causing the ship to slow down. Has that been fixed?

I'm tracking the ship and it looks like it is delayed getting into Coco Cay this morning. 

I'm sailing on 10/8 and wondering if it will delay my cruise.

@ScottD is on that sailing right now and blogging. It doesn't seem like a big issue but perhaps he can shed some more insight.

If you read his blog, he talked about it a little bit over the last few days:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/42847-oasis-second-time-is-a-charm-101-108-from-nj/

18 hours ago, Fwman said:

I heard there was also an electrical issue causing the ship to slow down. Has that been fixed?

I'm tracking the ship and it looks like it is delayed getting into Coco Cay this morning. 

I'm sailing on 10/8 and wondering if it will delay my cruise.

We had a propulsion issue but it ended not causing us much of a delay at all. Got into port canaveral about 30 minutes late yesterday but arrived at coco cay ahead of schedule this morning. Seem to be moving fine tonight as well and on pace for scheduled time in Nassau later this morning.