Alaska here we probably will come

mom2mybugs

My lovely daughter Morgan got married this past weekend and heads to Galveston in November for her honeymoon on Harmony.  We got great info for her trip from here,  she got an 11am boarding time and is beyond excited.  Now that our two year wedding/honeymoon planning is pretty done, we need a new adventure.  My husband and I decided we want to do Alaska before the glaciers melt, and my daughter thinks they want to go too (as long as her new hubby liked cruising as much as we do).  We were thinking 2025 and Morgan decided she can do next cruise on the ship, book us all, and get some extra onboard credit.  Here's what I need from everyone:

Can you send me to a post on general next cruise info? Or give me a synopsis.  It's never been a thing...   We are hoping the Alaska itineraries will show up while or before she's on.  Can you do refundable deposit on next cruise? Or are we better off doing nonrefundable and purchasing insurance (my husband's health is unpredictable).  

Next, I'm absolutely overwhelmed on Alaska.  I research it, and then we wait, and then I forget everything I learned.  We are thinking 7 day finishing in Vancouver (we might fly to Jasper and meet another couple for a week).  There are both roundtrip cruises in and out of Vancouver, as well as finishing there.  Either better than the other? Other than inner passage, what are unmissable ports/better ones? I know it's all subjective but we might not get back again so I want to maximize.

Finally, quantum or radiance class? I know, again, subjective but I'm curious on opinions.  We will likely do inside cabin or outside view... Balconies will be out of our price range with all the excursions.

We are just beginning this discussion, but would love some guidance or an easy link to message board or blog posts that cover it!  Glad to be back!  Our new years cruise on Harmony last January was iffy weather wise, but loads of fun for sure!  2025 will probably be our next chance to cruise!

Jane

I've only been to Alaska once in 2018 but we treated it like a once in a lifetime type trip so we spent 10 days on land traveling all the way from Fairbanks to Seward before sailing southbound to Vancouver on Radiance. My wife spent a full year planning it with the help of an outside company (it was her baby and I've been thanking her for making me go there ever since). Obviously this was a special, long, quite expensive vacation, not a random cruise like we frequently take from here in FL on the cheap.

The short version of my recommendation is to spend as much time on land as possible and do as many excursions as possible (whether on land or in port). Nothing wrong with the cruise but I wouldn't want to go there without a land portion... which means I'd obviously NOT want to do a round trip cruise. This doesn't mean I'm saying you need to do everything we did but most of our highlights were from the land portion. At the very least, see Denali!

As for the ship... I personally don't care for any ship below Voyager class... but for Alaska, I wouldn't care what ship I'm on. I'd go there for Alaska, not the ship. We sail the Caribbean/Bahamas for the ship (not that I don't enjoy CocoCay and some Caribbean ports but you get the idea). Also, most people will tell you to get a balcony, which we did have, but I disagree. Any time there was something to see from the ship, we went up on deck to get a better view anyway. I'd save the money for excursions and cheap out on anything ship-related. Noticing a theme here?

11 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Can you do refundable deposit on next cruise? Or are we better off doing nonrefundable and purchasing insurance (my husband's health is unpredictable).

I suggest using a TA who has refundable deposit group rates (and possibly some OBC). Perhaps MEI Travel, who sponsors this website. You will get a lower price than you see online and the refundable deposit. That said, I'd still get travel insurance between the distance, flights, and your husband's health. You CAN book via NextCruise and then transfer it to your TA so you'd get even more perks but I'd ask the TA about that (never done it myself, I just know it exists).

Hope some of that helps. Just one man's general advice as you're just getting started but since you mentioned that you might not get back there (which is how we treated it) I think a lot of it applies to you. Happy researching!

15 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

There are both roundtrip cruises in and out of Vancouver, as well as finishing there.  Either better than the other? Other than inner passage, what are unmissable ports/better ones?

Having just gotten back from our roundtrip from Seattle, you gotta do the one-way! Round trip spends half the time getting to and from the origin port when you could be adding 1-2 Alaskan ports + full day in Juneau vs half day/half at the glacier + getting to see Seward. We went to Sitka, Icy Strait Point and Juneau as our Alaskan ports and if I had to choose, Sitka was my least favorite. There were huge crowds from two ships in port and you could really feel it. I so wish we could’ve seen Skagway, so it would be on my list for any future sailing I go on to Alaska! We were scheduled to go but had an itinerary change to ISP instead, which was simply gorgeous. 

15 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Finally, quantum or radiance class?

We did Quantum because we’d never been on that class of ship before and wanted to try it. I would 100% choose Radiance class next time, Quantum was fun for the new shows/plentiful activities/specialty venues but that’s better left for a sailing with a lot of ocean-view sea days, in my opinion. Radiance class has so many outward facing venues, the views sailing through Alaska would be way more spectacular, especially if you won’t have your own balconies. 

We had a 7 night southbound (corner aft junior suite) on Radiance with a 3 night  land tour booked back in 2022. Had to cancel because my daughter and I both got Covid the week before. 

Planned an entire year. No ship excursions, booked all private/small group. You save quite a bit of money booking off ship. 

Planning to rebook for 2026 on Radiance with same southbound itinerary BUT doing our own land tour, not through Royal. Cheaper again. 

I’d absolutely do the one way itinerary 

Agree with several of the other comments.  We did a southbound on radiance back in July 2019 and LOVED IT!!!  We did a 3 day land add on in the beginning through Royal and visited Denali, Talkeetna, etc.  While that was great, as mentioned above I would probably book the land portion myself next time.  I'm actually considering booking again in 2025 and again doing a southbound on radiance hopefully.  Going to Alaska isn't about the ship, and I agree you don't NEED a balcony.  I do highly recommend the southbound verse the northbound though and doing the land portion after.  I don't have any personal experience with that, but our tour guide did mention to us that she sees people who do the land tour after are generally exhausted from the 7 day cruise at that point and don't enjoy the land tour as much as people who do it first.  Also, while you can never predict weather and I know different months provide different benefits in Alaska, I can tell you that we went in mid July and the weather was perfect.  No rain, 70's every day.  We saw the peak of Denali all 3 days while on the land portion.  They say many people go and never get to see the peak.  Just writing this makes me ready to book again.  I have a cruise in November and also hoping the Alaska Itineraries will be out to book at Next Cruise.  

6 minutes ago, LandstromCruise said:

our tour guide did mention to us that she sees people who do the land tour after are generally exhausted from the 7 day cruise at that point

I agree with doing land first but we looked at it from a different angle... because we planned so much on land we figured we'd be better off with the slightly less hectic cruise at the end. We did plenty during the cruise portion, of course, but it was nothing compared to the 10 days on land.

2 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I agree with doing land first but we looked at it from a different angle... because we planned so much on land we figured we'd be better off with the slightly less hectic cruise at the end. We did plenty during the cruise portion, of course, but it was nothing compared to the 10 days on land.

yep exactly.  that was my thought too and why i would do it that way again.  

I would highly recommend  taking the 1 way cruise.  I have done Alaska cruises many times.  You want to see the larger glaciers, like Hubbard, which are  farther north. Weather can be very iffy.  Best weather July or August.   I went in June  the baby seals are born that month and were laying all over the ice floating in the water.  But this was also north near Hubbard glacier.  It was my favorite sight on an Alaskan cruise.  I always go on the newest  largest ship available, as long as it is going 1 way.  You probably will not have much choice with your ship going 1 way though. I like more restaurants and venues on the larger ships.   The Alaska  cruises for 2025 are not out yet, but might be in November.  You can give them your travel agents name and number to add to the cruise when you book with NextCruise.  My TA's information is already in the system so I do not need to give it to them.  You will have a great time, enjoy!