Cape Liberty history?

RCIfan1912

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Liberty_Cruise_Port?wprov=sfla1

I was a bit curious about the history of the cruise port/terminal we sail out of and every time we do I thank goodness Royal Caribbean had the foresight to make this a cruise terminal. 

Does anyone know or remember the original reason they left Manhattan for here? Did something trigger it or it was overall they needed more space? I think it's brilliant and probably not the easiest decision. Cost some money too I imagine. It says in the article first cruise ship to leave from NJ in 4 decades. 

I remember the old terminal which was kinda crappy and you had to be bussed over. This new terminal is awesome. 

In May 2004, I actually sailed on the Voyager of the Seas out of Bayonne for a long weekend cruise that was for Travel Agents only.  A very good friend of mine was a TA and invited me to join her for the complimentary cruise which Royal held in order to get the word out about their new port!  We parked in a dirt parking lot which I believe was to the right of the terminal but thought we walked to the terminal.  It was my first cruise…and my memory is vague but I do remember the process to board was smooth and quick.  
Maybe she will remember the reasoning behind them moving to NJ.  I’ll ask her!

54 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

In May 2004, I actually sailed on the Voyager of the Seas out of Bayonne for a long weekend cruise that was for Travel Agents only.  A very good friend of mine was a TA and invited me to join her for the complimentary cruise which Royal held in order to get the word out about their new port!  We parked in a dirt parking lot which I believe was to the right of the terminal but thought we walked to the terminal.  It was my first cruise…and my memory is vague but I do remember the process to board was smooth and quick.  
Maybe she will remember the reasoning behind them moving to NJ.  I’ll ask her!

I'm just wondering how it all came together because I must have been hard to see any potential there especially at that time. The road going on now is still very wonky and I'm sure it's way better than it was back then. Someone had good foresight and saw potential.

We sailed out of Manhattan one time, NCL cruise. NCL was not for us and that terminal was just downright awful. Too small, too much chaos. Won't do it again I don't think. It would have to be something very special. 

My guess... Cape Liberty was a means to secure berth space rather than competing for Manhattan which would have limited service or forced them to embark the ship on less ideal days of the week. 

It may also have been cheaper to strike a deal for something in NJ compared to expensive Manhattan.  

It's come a long a ways from days of a tent terminal.  

It makes a lot of sense in many ways.  All the supply trucks having to get to a port, all the guest traffic, proximity to Newark airport, closer to the port sea entrance, Royal's vision of larger and larger ships, etc.  

Could you imagine trying to operate Oasis class from Manhattan?  I'm not even sure a mega ship could use the Manhattan piers.  

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I'm just wondering how it all came together because I must have been hard to see any potential there especially at that time. The road going on now is still very wonky and I'm sure it's way better than it was back then. Someone had good foresight and saw potential.

We sailed out of Manhattan one time, NCL cruise. NCL was not for us and that terminal was just downright awful. Too small, too much chaos. Won't do it again I don't think. It would have to be something very special. 

I agree 100% on your above comment…even about NCL and Manhattan…which we just did on the Prima in late April/early May.  For me…sticking with Royal for now.

The peninsula where Port Liberty is located used to be the MOTBY until 1999…Military Ocean Terminal Bayonne. There is lots of interesting information on Wikipedia about its history, all the way from WW2 through the Gulf War.

I agree that it’s a much better cruise port than Manhattan. Piers 88 and 90 are very dated and in need of upgrading. Plus, it’s much easier driving to Bayonne rather than going into Manhattan through the Lincoln Tunnel from NJ. Especially on a weekday.

Newark Airport is a straight shot on Route 78 to Bayonne with a lot less traffic. Also, the prices to park on the pier in Manhattan are very high. I think it’s $45 a day, but it may have gone up again.

The one benefit of cruising from Manhattan, in my opinion, is coming down the Hudson River to the bridge…passing along the skyline, Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. The views are great! Coming from Bayonne, we just turn right and under the bridge. There have been some instances, very few and far between, where a ship leaving from Bayonne may turn left and go up to the Statue of Liberty, turn around, and then head for the bridge. Usually it’s for a publicity photo shoot. They understandably don’t like wasting fuel $$ unless it’s really necessary.

I understand the city of Bayonne and the Port Authority are working on a deal to expand the city’s footprint further down the peninsula. This, along with the ongoing development…both residential and business (including a new UPS distribution center) will certainly result in the road being modernized as traffic flow increases. Hopefully it will happen soon.

From the late 40's to the mid 50's, the Navy pier in Bayonne was also home to a second naval diving & salvage school...made famous by Men of Honor (most of which is actually not overly-dramatized and based off true events).

My first cruise out of Bayonne was in the old terminal (which I reminisce about as we drive past on our way out every cruise now), with the bus ride to the ship. I absolutely love the new terminal, very well organized.

I agree with @twangster -- even NCL's largest ships are really outgrowing the pier in Manhattan, so I'm not sure an Oasis class ship could dock there. Having lived in Weehawken previously and watching the ships turn in to those piers, it's a tight fit getting in and out.

Also agree with @BrianB -- probably the only downside is not getting the Hudson River sail out.