Soda Package for Young Kids

Lucky

My daughter was 3 years old when she went on Harmony last year, and we bought her a soda package. She loved the non-soda options that were available in the Freestyle machines. She'll be 4 years old when we go on Wonder next month. I've heard Matt says in Q&A sessions on YouTube that he doesn't recommend getting the soda package for children because you likely aren't going to get your money's worth out of it.

I would imagine he probably is right as I have a hard time imagining my daughter drinking seventy dollars worth of Hi-C. However, my questions is this - if we do not get her a soda package, she won't have access to the Freestyle machine, right? If that's the case, what is she limited to?

I'd appreciate help from anyone who has been in a similar situation or may have more understanding on this.

She will have access to lemonade and iced tea. You can only access the freestyle options with a soda package or higher.

I also am a little confused as you got her the soda package last time and knows what she drinks. I don't think you should focus on the price but the value. Do you see value in paying $80 for her to have all the juice options? 

7 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I also am a little confused as you got her the soda package last time and knows what she drinks. I don't think you should focus on the price but the value. Do you see value in paying $80 for her to have all the juice options? 

I see value in her being able to get what she wants to drink and not being limited to certain options. My questions may have been misleading because I'm not worried about the cost, I was more so asking because if there was an option to get any kind of drink a la carte, I'd imagine it probably would be cheaper to do that over the course of seven days versus getting the package.

7 minutes ago, Jeremy L. said:

I see value in her being able to get what she wants to drink and not being limited to certain options. My questions may have been misleading because I'm not worried about the cost, I was more so asking because if there was an option to get any kind of drink a la carte, I'd imagine it probably would be cheaper to do that over the course of seven days versus getting the package.

So, the drinks you can get a la carte is not most things from the freestyle machine. If she drank Shirley temples or apple/orange juice yes, that's easy. But Hi-C is not something they keep stocked outside of the freestyle machine. 

My kids don't really drink soda, so I bring along the little bottles of flavoring you can get in the grocery store and just a little squirt goes a long way. I bring a few different options for the kiddies - even Koolaid has a version now and it's sugar free, and they are perfectly happy choosing a flavor for their water bottle. Costs me about $12 for 3-4 of those, and that's enough for the whole cruise for 4 kids. I also bring along the little powder packets of Gatorade and such. Much better options than unlimited lemonade and soda sugar intake-wise for the kiddies, and they still have options AND I don't pay for the packages. We do let them get a few smoothies or whatever and we just pay ala carte for those. 

You should be able to find flavored water at Park Cafe (and elsewhere) if that's something she would drink. My wife lives on the strawberry kiwi, I like it too, and they also have mango and lemon-lime. You can also get it on CocoCay.

NOTE: Availability varies but it was always there on Wonder in June.