How did Navigator get to California?

Just curious, how did Navigator get from the East Coast to the West Coast a few years ago?  I tried searching for it.  I don't believe there were passengers on that redeployment but I can't find any mention of what route the Navigator took to get there.  Isn't it too big for the Panama Canal?

It definitely didn't go through the Panama Canal. I remember that as I was watching it at the time in the hope it might. It repositioned without passengers and went the long way round as @smokeybandit suggests. I can't remember the exact route but I want to say it went through the Suez Canal and round past Singapore. Of course, I may be having a complete brain meltdown.

@twangster do you remember? I tried to find the thread where I know it was discussed but came up empty-handed.

21 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

It definitely didn't go through the Panama Canal. I remember that as I was watching it at the time in the hope it might. It repositioned without passengers and went the long way round as @smokeybandit suggests. I can't remember the exact route but I want to say it went through the Suez Canal and round past Singapore. Of course, I may be having a complete brain meltdown.

@twangster do you remember? I tried to find the thread where I know it was discussed but came up empty-handed.

Suez Canal during the shutdown, no guests on board.

1 hour ago, Thumper44 said:

Isn't it too big for the Panama Canal?

Royal has never commented about the ability for this class to use the Panama Canal but it is believed it's not the dimensions of the ship that precludes the use of the Panama Canal but the nature of the vessel.   This class has a deck that overhangs and extends out from the side profile of the ship.  Ships that use the PC have smooth sides so they can slide through a lock without damaging the ship or anything along the lock of the canal itself.

Ships like NCL's Breakaway Plus class that have used the PC are also larger cruise ships but their lifeboats tuck into the profile of the ship and nothing extends outside of the side profile until you are above the lifeboats.  This takes away from the internal volume and guest space so Royal tends to have their lifeboats hang partially outside of the side profile so internal guest space is maximized.  

Therefore it is thought that Voyager class is not able to use the Panama Canal.  

5 hours ago, BeachGal said:

I'm wondering if this is the post you were looking for?  I remember having a great conversation about which direction Navigator would eventually take.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/24058-navigator-dry-dock/#comment-262116

Yes, that's the one I was looking for. 😊