Carrying on large luggage in Galveston’s new terminal

Has anyone had experience avoiding the porters and carrying on their own full sized luggage? Something like a 28 inch wide. Specifically at Galveston’s new terminal 10.

I know the universal answer from the cruise lines and ports is that it must fit in the scanner and you have to check anything that isn’t carry on size. But I have personally been allowed to carry on very large suitcases at other ports, some of the scanners were huge and fit them easily, and have heard a few other anecdotes as well. 

We do this all the time. They have the luggage drop off clearly marked to the right of the entrance and it is easy. We used to use the porters but since it is only 50 yards or less from where the shuttle drops us off to the luggage drop off we now do it ourselves.

Thanks for the response. So you’re still dropping off your luggage though? I’m trying to never drop it off with anyone and take the large suitcases with me the whole time from the time we arrive at the port, through security, and directly onto the ship. Wondering if the scanners are big enough or if I’ll be forced to drop it off. 

I'm going to chime in here and wonder why anyone would want to drag their large suitcase on board, especially if you arrive prior to rooms being opened up?  If you have to wait in a public area, the suitcases are really going to get in the way of everyone.  I just wouldn't want to be stuck with them for 2-3 hours prior to being able to get in my room.  It's baffling.

We did this on our last cruise out of a different port when we learned it was even a possibility. We were able to immediately drop all of our bags inside of the stateroom upon boarding around noon. It was great to have our bags in the afternoon to settle and unpack before sailing away without wondering when or if they would arrive or if they were mishandled. We did not have to lug our bags around the ship or block anyone. 

Maybe I’m lucky but in each of my last 5 cruises, I was able to drop the bags off in the room between 11:30-12:30. I never tried before that thinking I had to wait until 1-1:30. Keys were on the door and there was even a message sometimes that said the room was still being prepared but feel free to drop your bags off. 

Honestly, the potential of getting in the crews way just going down the hall when they are trying to clean and do so much before 2pm just seems a little rude and selfish. I say play by the rules and wait for the announcement that the cabins are ready. And this comes from someone with a major fear of luggage getting lost when not in my hands.

1 hour ago, lambchopfiend said:

We did this on our last cruise out of a different port when we learned it was even a possibility. We were able to immediately drop all of our bags inside of the stateroom upon boarding around noon. It was great to have our bags in the afternoon to settle and unpack before sailing away without wondering when or if they would arrive or if they were mishandled. We did not have to lug our bags around the ship or block anyone. 

I've now sailed on 30+ cruises and I've only been allowed access to the staterooms before 1pm twice.  Once on Princess and once on Celebrity.  The Celebrity sailing was June 2021.  It was the first sailing from North America after the pandemic, so there wasn't anyone to offload.

In other words, I've never once seen Royal Caribbean allow access to the rooms for any reason before 1pm, or even later.  Please note, I've sailed out of Galveston 15 times.

I agree with @SpeedNoodles. Drop them with the porters or at the bag drop. Carrying them around for hours is simply not worth it.

19 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Plus not all xray machines at every port can handle a 28 or 29in bag. 

This was the original question. 

22 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Honestly, the potential of getting in the crews way just going down the hall when they are trying to clean and do so much before 2pm just seems a little rude and selfish. I say play by the rules and wait for the announcement that the cabins are ready. And this comes from someone with a major fear of luggage getting lost when not in my hands.

If the cruise line placed a letter at your door saying drop off your bags, how is that not playing by the rules? 

Ah, the virtues of late arrival. Last trip on Wonder from Port Canaveral, got onboard around 1 pm. After a circus with my Set Sail Pass not verifying I completed the E-Muster (5x as a matter of fact, was still getting notices right up til 330 after being assured I was properly checked in) we took one look at the elevator zoo and took the stairs to Deck 9 where we propped up a bulkhead. Watched multiple people try to enter the cabin corridor; the doors were locked. People banging on them. After about 10 minutes of watching stupid human tricks, the announcement was made all cabins were ready for occupancy..............  at precisely 1:30pm. 

And no way in hell I would drag big a** bags around, and for a fact the scanners at Port Canaveral can't take anything larger than a backpack, carryon bag and the tubs for small personal items. And on this particular trip, our big bags were outside the cabin when we got to the door. Bravo, Wonder and shore crews! Reverse was also true for disembarkation. Set the bags out night before, no problems.

1 hour ago, lambchopfiend said:

This was the original question. 

If the cruise line placed a letter at your door saying drop off your bags, how is that not playing by the rules? 

In order to see a letter placed at your door you have to go down the halls. You are not supposed to enter the halls till 2pm when announcement is made. This is to give crew space to get cabins ready without foot traffic in there way.

I can't answer your question, but I'm surprised by the replies -- most that don't answer their question. It's fine if they want to drag their bag around and not have porters throwing them around, risk bag being lost (I had one left behind in Miami, thank you Virgin). Not everyone goes on board the minute boarding opens and not everyone runs to a bar as soon as they get on board. 

So, you be you and let other people enjoy their vacation as they wish. Golden Rule kinda thing.