The Key

Hey Mitch,

I think you had said that you were in a suite, so if you are, I think maybe skip The Key.

It's hit and miss here, some people like it, and some find no value in it.  I like it if the gross cost after subtracting the internet piece is around $50.  We always get the internet anyway and the other benefits are easier to evaluate as a total because they aren't really per day benefits.

The ship on which you're sailing also may impact the value of The Key.  On a Quantum class, the dedicated times include iFly and Northstar so I find value there.  On Oasis class, there are a lot of good shows so there is more value there.

Because you have a suite, you're already negating the benefit of preferred boarding.  I think your move is to go without The Key and if the lunch was speaking to you, just book a separate lunch for embarkation day

We like the Key.  Another benefit of the key is on disembarkation - the key suitcases are in an area with only key people so it makes finding your luggage so much quicker (if you don't carry everything off yourself).  Also, you can give them your carry-on luggage and they will put it in your cabin before you are allowed in there which was so nice and you get internet included also.

The Key may have more value on shorter cruises, as some of the benefits are at the beginning and end of the cruise.

Xaa had a really good take on it. Take the cost of the key and subtract the cost of a single two-device Internet package, or two one-device packages if you are Waaaytooo. Then figure out what you think each benefit is worth and add them up. This will be different for everyone. 

Here's a list of the benefits, minus the Internet package:

• Priority access during The Key designated arrival time (to be communicated via email). Other benefits may apply at specific ports.*
  • Carry-on bag drop off with delivery to your stateroom. **
  • Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring The Key signature menu.***
  • Access to the fast lane at onboard activities (activities vary by ship)and private time at the Flowrider.
  • Priority departure at tender ports of call from ship-to-shore.
  • Dedicated seating at shows in the Main Theater, Aqua Theater, Studio B, and Two70.****
  • On debarkation day, enjoy an exclusive á la carte breakfast and choice departure

What is each of these worth to you? Matt has posted on multiple occasions that the sum total of the benefits are not worth the cost, especially since the Key costs $35.99 when it is on sale. For able-bodied suite guests, I would say that the choice is clear to not get The Key. For someone who doesn't need an Internet package or who needs two or more devices per person, don't get the Key. If you are on a short cruise and are disabled and need one Internet package per person, get it if the price is right.

We have only cruised twice, but have purchased the Key both times. Because of some family and sometimes work we always purchase internet so I always wait until a sale where the Key is only a few dollars more per day than the internet. I don’t think it’s worth it for what we use of the perks any other way. We always have booked a balcony room so the preferred boarding and disembarkation is a very nice perk ( especially with the 14 hour drive back to Ohio). 

5 hours ago, Xaa said:

Hey Mitch,

I think you had said that you were in a suite, so if you are, I think maybe skip The Key.

It's hit and miss here, some people like I, and some find no value in it.  I like it if the gross cost after subtracting the internet piece is around $50.  We always get the internet anyway and the other benefits are easier to evaluate as a total because they aren't really per day benefits.

The ship on which you're sailing also may impact the value of The Key.  On a Quantum class, the dedicated times include iFly and Northstar so I find value there.  On Oasis class, there are a lot of good shows so there is more value there.

Because you have a suite, you're already negating the benefit of preferred boarding.  I think your move is to go without The Key and if the lunch was speaking to you, just book a separate lunch for embarkation day

Hi!

Currently I have a Suite GTY on Mariner, I am assuming  it is a JS, I tried the barcode trick. Thank you for your help! I am planning on getting the internet package, this will be a working trip for me, maybe there wil be a Labor Day sale?

Thank you,

Mitch

11 minutes ago, SewerUrchin43 said:

We have only cruised twice, but have purchased the Key both times. Because of some family and sometimes work we always purchase internet so I always wait until a sale where the Key is only a few dollars more per day than the internet. I don’t think it’s worth it for what we use of the perks any other way. We always have booked a balcony room so the preferred boarding and disembarkation is a very nice perk ( especially with the 14 hour drive back to Ohio). 

Hi!

Thank you for your help! I am planning on getting the internet package anyway , this will be a working trip for me, maybe there will be a Labor Day sale?

Thank you,

Mitch

The Key is one of those things that you'll hear both sides.  Usually, the group that has a lot of cruises and are high up on the points, think that it's not really worth it, and maybe it's not.  But for those that don't have the higher ranking, I think it's worth it.  We get it so we can get onboard quicker and the lunch in MDR is nice, plus the internet.  It's really a well debated topic on here and kind of amusing!  I think we'll keep getting the Key until we get higher on our points!  Have fun!!

I have had it a few times. Each time bought it very close to price for two devices internet.  Final cost to me very little net. My fiancé loves it. That line around the building? Not with the key. Right inside and right on! Nice quiet lunch away from the Windjammer stampede. Carry on bags at room. No wait for stuff. No problem getting in shows. Good seats. >>>> All that stuff that comes with a suite.... I see it list for like $47 each a day on upcoming cruise? We got in way way lower. Never in a million years would it be worth that $47 tag. If you already have a suite, do not throw your money away to get the same perks you basically already have.  If we did or do get a suite, the Key is not on the "must list"... If you're stuffed in some dungeon and its priced about that of internet access alone? Go ahead...