Cruise company budget model article.

Interesting article about all the up sell on the ships.  We don’t spend much after the cruise costs, other than a soda package and maybe one excursion, so we don’t see a lot of extras cost.  Of course it’s not my place to tell anyone how to spend their money either!  The only thing i do recommend to first time cruisers is to not do speciality dining and to eat in the MDR, after that first cruise then you can expand the dining.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cruise-industry-business-model-changing-bad-news-for-travelers-2023-4

Edited by Reigert2008
Fixed a spelling thing

As is typical with Insider/Business Insider articles, it's not actually anything new.

The modularity has been there for decades now, and the fact many cruise lines really see their profits in these add-ons is not a new phenomenon. 

The non-luxury lines have never included things like phone calls, shore excursions, alcohol.  The difference is there's now more options to consider too.

But at the end of the day, if you include something in the price, you're still paying for it.  And for every person that would want booze, wifi, or something else included, there's someone else that wouldnt because they don't use it and don't want to pay for it.

Seems to be an article trying to make an issue out of something that isn't. Kind of clickbait on BI. Sure they could include them in the cost of the original  price, but then when the price of the cruise doubles, BI will write an article on how cruising is only for the well off. There are ample complimentary dining and entertainment options available on the ship to where you would never have to spend another dime once on board. To say they're "adopting the strategy of budget airlines" is laughable.

One of the things that drew me to cruising is that modularity that Matt mentioned. You can make your vacation as "Fancy" and expensive as you want to/can afford too. Of course that only goes so far. There are still cheaper vacations out there. But for what you get for your dollar, it's still hard to beat cruising. And I have found that the thrill I get when I find a super great deal and book it to be very satisfying.