Quantum of the Seas North Star

DDaley

27 minutes ago, JNS123 said:

I'm going on a cruise this Monday and our concierge emailed and told us that it hasn't been functional and most likely will not be for our sailing. 

I’m going on Monday as well. Sad it may not be working as this was one of the reasons why I’m doing a Quantum Alaska sailing instead of Radiance. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, EmersonNZ said:

Does anyone know if it is fixed? I noticed on the ships profile page on the Royal site it says it is not operitonal but not sure if this is still accurate. 
If so I guess there is no chane it'll be up and running before our cruise in Jan.

One of the rounded glass panels was cracked early this summer in Alaska and was still hearing that it cannot be repaired until dry dock next year. I've been on Quantum 3 times this year and was glad that I got a chance to do North Star in April. It was really cool, but, that said, it's only 15 minutes out of the whole cruise.image.thumb.jpeg.1882acc8caf3dbb993cc52d1590622eb.jpeg

That's a shame. From that explanation it sounds like they need to take the actual gondla off to replace the glass which will need heavy lifting cranes. If that wasn't the case surely fixing it in place would be possible. It does seem like a strange design to not be able to repalce a glass panel in service. If this was the week after a dry dock it could be 4 years before it is fixed again.....  

I wonder if they are offering some form of onboard credit as compensation. There will be many people that booked the cruise with the North Star being advertised as part of the entertainment. The North Star is on every advertisment they have for the Quantum so rather a major thing to not be operating. Its not too much of an issue for us as we've been on the North Star plenty of times but there is someone in our party who has never been on a Roayl ship and was looking forward to it.

5 minutes ago, EmersonNZ said:

That's a shame. From that explanation it sounds like they need to take the actual gondla off to replace the glass which will need heavy lifting cranes. If that wasn't the case surely fixing it in place would be possible. It does seem like a strange design to not be able to repalce a glass panel in service. If this was the week after a dry dock it could be 4 years before it is fixed again.....  

I wonder if they are offering some form of onboard credit as compensation. There will be many people that booked the cruise with the North Star being advertised as part of the entertainment. The North Star is on every advertisment they have for the Quantum so rather a major thing to not be operating. Its not too much of an issue for us as we've been on the North Star plenty of times but there is someone in our party who has never been on a Roayl ship and was looking forward to it.

No idea what the repair entails. The circumstances that I heard for the breakage do sound pretty unique. (which I won't repeat because I have no idea how accurate they are and I heard 2 different stories).  Anyway, I was onboard for 2 weeks in September and the transpacific in October and they did not offer any compensation. I also did not ask, so I have no feedback for you there. Have a great cruise though!

• 5 months later...