Port of Ephesus

were booked on odyssey for the 8/6 sailing out of rome. the ship stops in ephesus. In the cruise docs its says that Turkey requires an e-visa for US citizens but the wording is vague. Checking online The turkish website states that they dont require visas for those arriving on crusie ships who do not leave the port city (we were planning to get off the ship and go to a local beach close to the dock). There is also in the cruise docs written under additonal informatio...

"guest without this visa will be denied airline or ship boarding / entry into turkey. In transit cruise guests who are US or canadian do not reuqire a visa for turkey."

this seems completely confusing as to whether we need a visa or not as a family of six this adds to $300. im concerned calling RC would be a waste as its a very specific question.  as well im worried about being denied boarding in Rome if this needed.

does anyone have info or experience on this...

thanks

Direct from the Turkey e-Visa FAQ:

"According to the Law on Foreigners and International Protection which entered into force on 11th April 2014, those foreigners who arrive at sea ports and intend to visit the seaport city or nearby provinces for touristic purpose are exempt from visa provided that their stay does not exceed seventy two (72) hours. However, if you arrive in/depart from our country by air for your cruise tour, you must obtain a visa." 

So real visa question is, Are you flying into or out of Istanbul for your cruise?

BTW, It is the port of Kusadasi and city of Ephesus is nearby.  We were there in 2015 and I'll tell you, a popular question amongst cruisers is What is the most beautiful port you have been to? I've been to all the usual suspects and I gotta say that Kusadasi is right up there with the perennial favorites Venice and Valletta. It is a stunning port and the Turkish flag on the hillside really puts it over the top. I'm jealous!

We stopped in Ephesus last year and, if I may recommend, don't just go to a local beach. The ruins at Ephesus are just spectacular to see and second to none anywhere in the world. It's really fascinating to see how a city was built a couple of thousand years ago with roads and even a plumbing system that you can see today. We did it as part of our Holy Land cruise and we also went to see the House of the Virgin Mary and St. John's Basilica. 

We were there a few weeks ago- no visa needed for port stops (this will change if you are starting/ending in Türkiye).

However, we were given a small slip of paper with our names and passport numbers and told to carry it with us.  We didn't need it in Kusadasi but we did in Instanbul.  

8 hours ago, bobroo said:

Thanks

Direct from the Turkey e-Visa FAQ:

"According to the Law on Foreigners and International Protection which entered into force on 11th April 2014, those foreigners who arrive at sea ports and intend to visit the seaport city or nearby provinces for touristic purpose are exempt from visa provided that their stay does not exceed seventy two (72) hours. However, if you arrive in/depart from our country by air for your cruise tour, you must obtain a visa." 

So real visa question is, Are you flying into or out of Istanbul for your cruise?

BTW, It is the port of Kusadasi and city of Ephesus is nearby.  We were there in 2015 and I'll tell you, a popular question amongst cruisers is What is the most beautiful port you have been to? I've been to all the usual suspects and I gotta say that Kusadasi is right up there with the perennial favorites Venice and Valletta. It is a stunning port and the Turkish flag on the hillside really puts it over the top. I'm jealous!