More Seattle Questions

This site is great, but we knew that. Y'all have been great about answering questions.  Couple more.  Taxi from SeaTac airport to basically near pikes place... How much? Then from there to ship? I've been told to use taxi vs uber as you can get dropped off closer to doors at terminal. Is this correct?

We have day before cruise to kill. I was thinking Pikes, The Aquarium.... Any other ideas for that day?

Coming back: We don't fly out til 9:35 PM so thats a long day as well. I heard there are lockers at Pikes Place to store bags? Called "Bounce"? Has anybody used? Do the lockers fit full sized carry on bags? Fiancé wants to do either some Japanese garden thing, or a "glass" garden , or both? Again , anybody done either or both? 

Any info is appreciated. I'm lost west of the Delaware river... 😄

2 hours ago, deep1 said:

This site is great, but we knew that. Y'all have been great about answering questions.  Couple more.  Taxi from SeaTac airport to basically near pikes place... How much? Then from there to ship? I've been told to use taxi vs uber as you can get dropped off closer to doors at terminal. Is this correct?

We have day before cruise to kill. I was thinking Pikes, The Aquarium.... Any other ideas for that day?

Coming back: We don't fly out til 9:35 PM so thats a long day as well. I heard there are lockers at Pikes Place to store bags? Called "Bounce"? Has anybody used? Do the lockers fit full sized carry on bags? Fiancé wants to do either some Japanese garden thing, or a "glass" garden , or both? Again , anybody done either or both? 

In Seattle, the easiest way to get around is the Seattle Light Rail system (https://www.soundtransit.org/ride-with-us/stations/link-light-rail-stations) where you can get from the airport towards Pike's Place Market area (Leave from the SEA-TAC station and travel to the Westlake station - nearest station - just a few blocks walk to Pike's Place; about 38-40 minutes ride from the airport) for a cost of about $3 per person.  Trains leave every few minutes.

For other activities; you can take the Seattle Monorail ($3.50 per person each way) (https://www.seattlemonorail.com/) that starts from the Westlake center (adjacent to the light rail station) and travel to the "Seattle Center" area where the Seattle Space Needle is at (https://www.spaceneedle.com/). The Chihuly Garden and Glass (https://www.chihulygardenandglass.com/) is adjacent to the base of the Space Needle and is a neat place to go through.  There are some combo-tickets available for various activities in the area (http://seeitall.com/?site=sn)

Luggage is going to be the biggest issue to deal with.  When I travel and am overnighting in Seattle, I typically stay at a Hilton hotel (https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/seaahhh-hilton-seattle-airport-and-conference-center/) literally right across the street from the airport (I walk from the airport towards the light rail station; go "through" the station and walk over the pedestrian bridge; take the elevator down to street level, and walk one block to the hotel).  See map on this link: https://www.soundtransit.org/ride-with-us/stops-stations/seatac-airport-station.  You can have the hotel hold your bags after checkout if you stay there.  I don't have any experience with any other baggage holding services, so won't be any help there...

Just a few ideas and suggestions to think about!

2 hours ago, deep1 said:

1.  I can't speak to Taxis, but Seattle has the worst Uber/Lyft pickup system I have ever seen.

2. There is a really great french pastry place called Le Panier at Pikes Place Market.  You will be up early with the 3 hour time change and it is not busy early.  All of the place at Pikes Place have long lines by lunch.  

3.  There are lots of hills in the Pikes Place area.  Plan accordingly if you are planning to walk.  The Market itself is way higher than the waterfront area.

4.  The aquarium is not that big, but it was well done and worth it in my opinion.

5.  You could consider checking your bags on the return flight and using the port check in available onboard the ship.  It may be worth the extra cost to check your bag - there is no extra cost beyond what the airline charges.  

If you haven't already, you may want to look at my live blog of our cruise from a month ago.

9 hours ago, wordell1 said:

1.  I can't speak to Taxis, but Seattle has the worst Uber/Lyft pickup system I have ever seen.

I didn't find the pier to be too bad for Uber/Lyft, it's a short shuttle ride or walk.

LAX by far is the worst ride share experience.  Don't follow the signs for shared rides, that not ride-sharing.  Take the 35 minute shuttle bus that stops every 20 feet at every terminal to the ride-sharing pick up area.  Do not go to the share ride area.  What a cluster.  

9 hours ago, twangster said:

I didn't find the pier to be too bad for Uber/Lyft, it's a short shuttle ride or walk.

LAX by far is the worst ride share experience.  Don't follow the signs for shared rides, that not ride-sharing.  Take the 35 minute shuttle bus that stops every 20 feet at every terminal to the ride-sharing pick up area.  Do not go to the share ride area.  What a cluster.  

I try to stay off the west coast in general but unfortunately if I want to do Alaska  I gotta  do the west coast. LAX, SFO,  ETC are disasters and I hear Seattle is not a  heck of a lot better in certain things like TSA lines and  other stuff. Fear not, ride share is not something you'll see my fiancé do. 😄 

• 2 weeks later...

To all who called it Pike's Place Market (or variations of that), it is not. It is Pike Place Market (no "S"). I live nearby. Here are some tips:

The market is a wonderful spot. The Aquarium is well done. The Seattle Wheel is also on the waterfront. Chihuly Glass in Seattle Center is worth a visit as is The Space Needle nearby. Also close to those is the Museum of Popular Culture. Food at Seattle Center may be found in the Armory. Pike place Market has many food places. The wait can be long at rush hours but if you eat a little earlier or later than Noon-1:30 the wait is a lot shorter. Anthony's at Pier 66 has two spots there (Pier 66). Great food and view. Great dining at Pier 57 where the Wheel is located. Elliot's Oyster House is the best waterfront restaurant (more than seafood but pricey). The Seattle Art Museum is worth a visit if art is your thing. Close to the Market on 1st Ave. At the North end of the waterfront is the outdoor sculpture garden. If you like cheese, visit Beechers in the Market. If you like coffee, one of the first Starbuck's is in the Market.

I cannot speak to taxis or Uber/Lyft since I do not use them. Hotels on the waterfront include a Marriott and The Edgewater (built over the water and where the Beatles stayed).

If you have more time, the Museum of Flight is worth a visit (close to SeaTac Airport) or the Boeing Company tour in Everett is worth a visit. Also in Everett is the home of Funko who makes all types of collectible figurines, such as bobbleheads. Also, worth a visit for longer stays is Snoqualmie Falls especially in the late spring (think early Alaska cruises) when the snow melt is in effect. The Lodge there has awesome food and views.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Our hotel was easily walkable to Pike Place Market. I believe the Uber was 50-75 from SeaTac. Since we only had one day, we did an early morning food tasting tour at the Market which was great. After, we headed to the Space Needle and bought a combo ticket which included Chihuly Garden and Glass for about $65. Chihuly Is right next to the Space Needle; highly recommend both. We opted for a hotel shuttle (35pp) to the port rather than ride share. We had a lot of bags so we wanted to get dropped off at the terminal. Also, maybe it has changed but we noticed all the taxis seemed to be small hybrids. Those were too small for our bags so another reason we chose the shuttle. We used a shuttle from port to SeaTac on departure (about 35pp again I believe).  

From SeaTac to Pike use the light rail.  Taxi's and Ubers run the risk of traffic and are more expensive.

From Pike to Pier 91, Uber.  With luggage, you will need a mid-size Uber and it will cost a little more.  Think we paid $35.

At Pike, and surrounding area, if you walk down to the ocean front, next to the Ferris Wheel, there is a a really fun ride called Wings over Washington.  If you have been to Disney's California Adventure and ridden Soaring over California, its basically the same ride but Washington themed.  We really loved it. 

Near Space Needle, first take the monorail its really neat.  Once there....you can get so much done in this ONE area.  Chihuly Garden, Space Needle, Museum of Pop (we really recommend!!!!)

Yeah, there are a TON of things to do, see, and eat in Seattle, but for one day plus half a day when you disembark, Pike Place Market and the Space Needle area is pretty much what you can, and should do.

2 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

there is a a really fun ride called Wings over Washington.  If you have been to Disney's California Adventure and ridden Soaring over California, its basically the same ride but Washington themed.

This went RIGHT on my list for our one day in Seattle! That’s one of my favorite rides in that park. Thanks!! 

Oh one more thing! Totally forgot...

If you are at Pike Place and need a place to sit and eat the delicious food items you bought, there is a hidden seating area on the second floor near or in Post Alley.  I cannot remember exactly where, but its not hard to find.  There are potted plants and flowers and its really quaint and charming.  Hardly seen anyone sit and eat there other than us.