Cozumel- Walking into town

Would you experienced cruisers say it is safe to walk into San Miguel to go shopping?. The kids want to visit the Mega store whatever that is and then find a nice restaurant to eat then taxi back to the pier. Just looking for a relaxing day enjoying the sights and doing some shopping. Thoughts?   Thanks 

3 hours ago, ocalatim01 said:

Would you experienced cruisers say it is safe to walk into San Miguel to go shopping?. The kids want to visit the Mega store whatever that is and then find a nice restaurant to eat then taxi back to the pier. Just looking for a relaxing day enjoying the sights and doing some shopping. Thoughts?   Thanks 

If you're talking about walking from the stores at the pier, consider the 10 minute drive by taxi both ways particularly if the kids are younger.  Didn't see the Mega store.  pops

If the "mega store is in town, it would depend on which dock your ship uses. When we have been, Royal Caribbean ships dock a good ways south of town. We walked it once, it's a long way. Take the cab as posted above into town.

I think it was Norwegian and a couple others that docked "in town" within walking distance.

The walk is about 45 minutes at a good pace (we've done it twice). If you're planning on bringing kids...add 20 minutes. It's mostly sidewalk with a couple of narrow points. A hot day can be uncomfortable walking that far if you're not used to it or prepared for it. There's not a whole lot to see on the walk, so unless you want to do it for the exercise the cab is a better choice.

5 hours ago, Gears said:

The walk is about 45 minutes at a good pace (we've done it twice). If you're planning on bringing kids...add 20 minutes. It's mostly sidewalk with a couple of narrow points. A hot day can be uncomfortable walking that far if you're not used to it or prepared for it. There's not a whole lot to see on the walk, so unless you want to do it for the exercise the cab is a better choice.

I agree with this post.  We have walked it several times successfully but it can be hot.  You will want to carry some water with you.  Depending on the age of the kids you need to take into account their fitness.

The Mega store is located on the main road that goes into San Miguel.  The store is nice and modern (your description as a Wal-Mart type store is correct).  They seem to have much better pricing than other tourist shops because they are geared toward locals.  My wife and I have felt very safe on the walk and when shopping in the Mega store.  If you are up for walking several miles and enjoying the beautiful view of the water it's definitely an option. You may want to take a taxi on the return trip if you are tired and hot, and have shopping bags to carry.  

It's very safe to walk to town from the pier. As others have said it's really hot so bring water. Since the drug cartels have no real turf in Cozumel it's safe day & night. Can't say the same for anywhere else in Mexico w/ the exception of the simply amazing Cabo San Lucas. Enjoy it.

PS: why not just take a cab???

3 hours ago, Galveston Steve said:

I agree with this post.  We have walked it several times successfully but it can be hot.  You will want to carry some water with you.  Depending on the age of the kids you need to take into account their fitness.

The Mega store is located on the main road that goes into San Miguel.  The store is nice and modern (your description as a Wal-Mart type store is correct).  They seem to have much better pricing than other tourist shops because they are geared toward locals.  My wife and I have felt very safe on the walk and when shopping in the Mega store.  If you are up for walking several miles and enjoying the beautiful view of the water it's definitely an option. You may want to take a taxi on the return trip if you are tired and hot, and have shopping bags to carry.  

the walk is fine thats kinda what we wanted to do, but thanks for verifying the store.

Defn take a cab is my advice.

I wouldn't want to walk all the way there, then around town and then back in the heat and with kids in tow.

That being said..Mega store is pretty cool to check out and compare prices and stuff. There are lots of places around there to grab a bite to eat as well within walking distance of that site.

Walking around in Cozumel is perfectly safe.  Of course pay attention as you should anywhere else.

Taxi rates are fixed when traveling from the cruise terminals (I don't have a pic of the sign unfortunately).  SURE TO ABeyond that be sure to ask ahead of time for the cost.  I find that paying in Pesos helps bring the rate down slightly, though there are other factors in getting the "tourist rate".  I've had a ride from Parque Benito Juarez to the terminal range from $3-$8 US.

23 minutes ago, ocalatim01 said:

Matt, do you know if there is a recent posting of Taxi rates in Cozumel? Thanks for all you do

I couldn't find anything from 2017, but it's about $8 each way to downtown from where RC docks.