Please Double Check My Voom Understanding

Would a patient and kind person please confirm? I should know this information as I have cruised before and have researched. But for some reason, I get pre-cruise anxiety and need to be sure I remember correctly. Mom and I are traveling together in a CLS and will each have the internet package.

1. Put phone in airplane mode and leave it there (Caribbean Ports).

2. I  can use iMessage to text iPhone users on the cruise with me and those back in the states. I can send regular texts to my android son at home.

**3. I can use WiFi calling (it is always enabled on my phone) should a special need arise. I can call my android son using WiFi calling.

4. FaceTime audio should work as well for iPhone users back home.

Thank you for indulging me. With the passing of my Dad and DH, I feel that extra responsibility on my shoulders. Mom will be cruising with me and my college age kids will be in the states.

1 minute ago, luv2sail said:

Would a patient and kind person please confirm? I should know this information as I have cruised before and have researched. But for some reason, I get pre-cruise anxiety and need to be sure I remember correctly. Mom and I are traveling together in a CLS and will each have the internet package.

1. Put phone in airplane mode and leave it there (Caribbean Ports).

2. I  can use iMessage to text iPhone users on the cruise with me and those back in the states. I can send regular texts to my android son at home.

**3. I can use WiFi calling (it is always enabled on my phone) should a special need arise. I can call my android son using WiFi calling.

4. FaceTime audio should work as well for iPhone users back home.

Thank you for indulging me. With the passing of my Dad and DH, I feel that extra responsibility on my shoulders. Mom will be cruising with me and my college age kids will be in the states.

That all looks right to me. Facetime video should work as well unless you have a poor signal.

1. YES! Very, very important! If you have a phone package that has Canada and Mexico you can go off of airplane mode in the Mexico ports but be sure to turn off Data Roaming (personal knowledge). On our excursions to the beach we usually find they have free WiFi and use that and put the phone back in airplane mode.

2. Yes, wife and I stay connected by this on the ship and message our kids at home (and others).

3. Yes, we use this all the time.

4. Yes, we see people wandering around all the time using it and bumping into others🤣.

Airplane mode turns off cellular data.  This is important when the ship is at sea, regardless if you buy internet or not. If you're in a foreign port that your cell plan covers, then you can take it out of airplane mode if you choose.

Be sure to have wifi calling enabled before the ship embarks. You can't turn on wifi calling without a cellular connection. Even if you've turned it on in the past, always check anyway, since software updates and various other network hiccups can turn it off.

Also, wifi calling can still be hit or miss even when enabled.   I've had instances where my phone could make wifi call but my wife's couldn't, despite wifi calling being enabled and the phones being identical.

2 hours ago, luv2sail said:

Everybody has covered most of your questions but I wanted to offer one thing that may save you some money.  You state you and your mom will each have the internet package.  Did you mean you are buying a 1 device package for each of you?  If so, it will almost certainly be cheaper to buy one 2 device package and share.  (Or if you're bringing more than 1  device each, buy the appropriate size package).  There's no benefit to multiple packages.

15 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Everybody has covered most of your questions but I wanted to offer one thing that may save you some money.  You state you and your mom will each have the internet package.  Did you mean you are buying a 1 device package for each of you?  If so, it will almost certainly be cheaper to buy one 2 device package and share.  (Or if you're bringing more than 1  device each, buy the appropriate size package).  There's no benefit to multiple packages.

They're in a CLS, so I believe Voom will be complementary.

22 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Ah yes, you may be correct.  I don't have any experience beyond the junior suite level so I didn't think of that.

Yes, I am looking forward to staying in the Crown Loft Suite. I have waited for this day since they were introduced on the Oasis! The "kids" are not coming along with Mom and me this time. I am usually a cheapskate and we share one device. We just log in and out. 

I recommend you stop by the Internet assistance desk when you board.  At times there are issues with some of the settings on phones which can negatively impact the ability to use the phone as you would think it would work. 

another option besides FaceTime is WhatsApp.  It is an app, you can add it to your phone now and have your kids do the same.  I use it as an alternative when facetime is spotty