RCL points

jce2

I was looking at my points and I noticed under conditions it states "1. Reward Redemptions expire one hundred and eighty (180) days from date of transaction".    If I read this correctly it basically means if you were to redeem your points for OBC, that 180 days later those OBC dollars would vanish.  Is that correct?  What if I redeem the points for OBC and then immediately burn the OBC on drink packages?  I would assume the packages would be safe snce I did indeed use the redemption within 180 days.  As it is my cruise is in January which puts 180 days as mid-July.  My current plan is to redeem them then simply to conform that they they do indeed show up in my planner as available OBC then wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday in hopes of a drink/excursion sale.

I'm assuming you're referring to the MyCruise points you earn through the Royal Caribbean credit card? Those points are valid for 5 years, I believe, so you'd want to hold on to the points until you're ready to take a cruise, then redeem them for the voucher for OBC. I think that voucher is what expires in 180 days.  Once you have the OBC tied to your account, you can use it as you see fit and your charges will just deduct from that credit before hitting your actual credit card. 

Once you've used your credit it's gone, so it wouldn't matter what you used it on. 

You have described my interpretation perfectly.  It also appears to be a two step process.  First, from the Bank of America site redeem your points for OBC "vouchers".  Next, call RC and have those vouchers applied to your specific cruise.  I am going to wait until mid-July and try it.  I will certainly document my experience including whether these OBCs do indeed show up in planner for pre-cruise purchases. 

3 hours ago, jce2 said:

You have described my interpretation perfectly.  It also appears to be a two step process.  First, from the Bank of America site redeem your points for OBC "vouchers".  Next, call RC and have those vouchers applied to your specific cruise.  I am going to wait until mid-July and try it.  I will certainly document my experience including whether these OBCs do indeed show up in planner for pre-cruise purchases. 

Cool - sound good! Best of luck!

Actually, with the BofA Visa points you do it all online with 1 transaction.  You redeem your points and have the OBC applied directly to the cruise of your choice.  No need to call RCI for anything.  As a matter of fact, if you did call them for help I'm quite certain you would get a shoulder shrug as they would have no idea what you were talking about....my guess.

Bottom line - do not redeem anything until you are ready to apply them to a specific cruise.  It's very easy these days.  Used to be much more complicated.

I just got back from the Oasis cruise and I thought i had cashed in $250 worth of points.  When it didnt show up on my account I went to guest services.  A nice lady at guest services called Bank of America and was told by them I must have not completed the transaction because Bank of America had no record of the transaction.  Well I have been cruising with RC since 1999 and have cashed points in a number of times so this isnt my first time to the dance.  My wife talked me in to getting the card for the points thingie but I have not had good experiences with Bank of America.  So tomorrow I will be calling Bank of America and they will probably be getting my card cut into pieces in the mail shortly.

We had that happen once.  I learned the lesson to always bring a copy of the confirmation letter that BoA sends once the transaction is complete.

Of course, ever since I started bringing the "proof" we've never had another problem !  Typical.

We've had nothing but good experiences (except for that one time).  Use of that card onboard has netted us thousands in OBC over the years.

I caution anyone who is thinking of getting this card....you canNOT carry a balance on this card.  The interest rate is VERY high but if you use it to pay for cruises and cruise expenses, it is extremely beneficial.

@WAAAYTOOO I have to ask if the benefits are truly that great. For example, the Costco Visa offers 3% cash back on travel and restaurants, 4% on gas, among other cash back categories and travel cancellation coverage. 

I did look into the Royal branded card, but I couldn't see any additional benefits it offered over the cards I already have. 

@BrianAlt So if you get 2% (double-points) on Royal Caribbean transactions, doesn't that make the Costco Visa better at 3% on all travel, which would include your airfare and other travel-related expenses?

I am asking this as I am truly trying to weigh the benefits of the Royal Caribbean branded credit card over those that I already have.

I don't use the RCI card for any purchases anymore, Doc as you noted the best you can do with is 2% ... you can earn at least that on other cards.

I do shamelessly abuse my good FICO score by cancelling and signing up for the card again every couple of years ... $100 each for the wife and I in sign-on bonus for spending $1 on each card every couple of years is a great ROI %.

Doc, you might be right.  3% and 4% is better than 2%.  I guess we stick with the RCI Visa b/c we are able to redeem the points directly to the cruise of our choice on the RCI website.  Not sure how those other cards' redemptions work.  Could be we are missing out on free money !

Since we typically have a $15-$20K bill at the end of a cruise (4-5 times a year), that 1-2% could add up to real money !!

I'll have to give it some additional thought.  Convenience vs higher return....

The Royal Caribbean Visa card isn't a great rewards earner unless it was your only card. If you have more than one travel card don't bother with the RC card. I got the RC card thinking I'd use it for just onboard purchases but I don't cruise often enough for it to be worthwhile.

Depending on whom you bank with:

If you bank with Bank of America and/or have an account with Merrill Lynch, you can get up to 2.62 points per dollar with the BoA travel rewards card since they have perks for your business relationship with them. Second best would be the BarclayCard Arrival or Discover It Miles (since they match any points you earn in the first year) -- Not a fan of anything Capital One.  

If you don't bank with Bank of America, I'd look at the Barclaycard Arrival or Discover It Miles card and go from there. 

My primary card is the Barclaycard arrival, 2% on everything all the time.

Depending on categories on other cards, I flirt with them to pick up higher %'s. One of my Chase cards is doing 4% on utilities right now for example.

Barclaycard is about as simple as it gets on redemption, select how much to redeem and you see that amount as a credit on your statement the next day.

On 6/18/2017 at 2:18 PM, jce2 said:

Do it on line. Here's the link: https://www.managerewardsonline.com/RMSapp/Ctl/display?pageid=home

I can't switch to the royal card...i use my disney rewards visa to buy all my cruise stuff and then eventually have enough points to go back to see the mouse and save money for more cruises.    Really it's great how my obsessions can be so symbiotic! Jane

Waaaytooo is right.  My OBC wasn't applied when  i boarded.  I was told to wait until "day 2" when accounts were fully established.  It wasn't,  so all I did was take my email confirmation to the service desk and it was fixed.  When you redeem points, like OBC, you have to identify the cruise date and ship.  Like DocLC, I have switched credit cards that provide a better rewards program.  

19 hours ago, DocLC said:

@BrianAlt So if you get 2% (double-points) on Royal Caribbean transactions, doesn't that make the Costco Visa better at 3% on all travel, which would include your airfare and other travel-related expenses?

I am asking this as I am truly trying to weigh the benefits of the Royal Caribbean branded credit card over those that I already have.

Yes, I guess so.  I just like having the OBC the card gives me.

Ultimately, use the card you're most comfortable with and pay it off every month or the benefits really start to cost you. For what it's worth, my next cruise netted meet a $200 return as I got 3% on the cruise and the airfare, but I won't be using it for hotels as it doesn't offer free foreign transaction fees. 

I'm also looking into the Alaska Airlines card. Even though it has an annual fee, there are no foreign transaction charges, waved baggage fees for up to six people, and an annual companion airfare offer. Since I have to for to most cruises, this would help defer some of the cost. 

AAARGH! I am now reading over on the "Crown & Anchor" facebook that if you convert your RCL Credit card points to OBC, that OBC will not actually show up on your account until shortly before the cruise or actually on the cruise, meaning you wont have access to that OBC thru the planner ahead of the cruise.  So that means I either wait o get on the cruise and then buy the non-discounted drink package, or buy it while on sale and be stuck with several hundred dollars in OBC that I have no use for!

5 hours ago, jce2 said:

AAARGH! I am now reading over on the "Crown & Anchor" facebook that if you convert your RCL Credit card points to OBC, that OBC will not actually show up on your account until shortly before the cruise or actually on the cruise, meaning you wont have access to that OBC thru the planner ahead of the cruise.  So that means I either wait o get on the cruise and then buy the non-discounted drink package, or buy it while on sale and be stuck with several hundred dollars in OBC that I have no use for!

That's not entirely accurate.  Last month, prior to our Grandeur cruise, our RCI Visa redeemed points OBC was available prior to sailing.  It wasn't a really LONG time prior to cruise date but at least 2-3 weeks prior to sailing it was available to use for excursions, packages, specialty dining - whatever you wanted to use it for.  We did NOT use it, but it was there.

• 3 years later...

I just got off the phone with Bank of America VISA (Royal Credit Card) asking this questions about any extension on points redemption and loss offered due to COVID-19.

The answer is no and points will continue to expire monthly- so if this pandemic continues for another year  i may lose all my $100K in points.

RCL and Bank of America should agree that offering an amnesty extension to their card holders until further notice is paramount to keeping loyal cruisers happy and not feel pressured to book any travel until it is safe.