Oasis 7 Day Western Caribbean Shopping Question

blawmtih

http://royalportfolio.com/

This is Royal's shopping web page, just look up Jamaica, these are the official sponsored pages I'm sure there are plenty of other's that Royal doesn't sponsor. If you come in to Falmouth which I'm pretty sure is where Oasis docks, there is a large shopping center right at the pier.

I agree with Tiny.  The shopping compound in Falmouth is very new, large, clean and safe.

I don't say this very often but I would recommend that you stay inside the compound in Falmouth to do your souvenir shopping unless you're with an organized group.  At almost any other port I would say to get out AWAY from the compound to find the bargains but not in Falmouth.  I find the locals to be extremely aggressive and shopping immediately outside of the compound is not the best part of town.  I never felt unsafe...just uncomfortable.

Excursions are a different situation, entirely.  If you are with a group I would say you'll be fine...but I would not want my sisters or mother or any other females out by themselves in town, in Falmouth.

WAAAYTOOO's comment above are the same as I've experienced, don't leave Falmouth port unless you are with an organized tour, inside the port is secure.

I don't want this to sound like Jamaica is a bad place, but the vendors and the locals get very pushy and upset if you don't spend money. Every excursion I've been on I have felt safe wherever we went. I just experienced this in Roatan, we went over to the West Bay/West End and the locals got very aggressive with my wife and I and I'm a big guy...

The last RCCL ship said the exact same thing in the cruise compass and the shopping channel on TV. So this should not be a surprise to most people.

Great advice and thanks.  We were in Nassau last June and felt the Straw Market was a bit aggressive, neither my wife or I liked it very much.  We were going back and forth between the different excursions,  we have 3 kids coming along as well, trying to figure out the best thing to do.  I would hate to stay on the ship the whole time, part of the reason I like cruising is the access, albeit limited access, to other countries and culture.   

As aggressive as the straw market can be, Falmouth can be much worse.  I do recommend going outside the gates, but only with organized tours, as has been said.  Royal Caribbean often has a tour that includes shopping.  Otherwise, the area in the dock area is VERY nice and has lots of shopping.  Although your family may be looking for more "authentic" goods.

I totally concur with the negative comments about regarding Falmouth. We were there last year and there are plenty of upscale, midscale and downscale shops within the fenceline, ie, compound where you can find souvenirs. There is also a Margaritaville that has free wifi along with all the Margaritaville food and beverages. I ventured, by myself,up to the gate that goes into Falmouth proper and I didn't even attempt to leave the compound. What I saw was a bunch of very seedy looking street vendors with rag tag booths. 

We went to Jamaica two years ago.  We did a resort excursion.  There was very little shopping at the resort and  I would not have wanted the bus driver to stop ANY WHERE along the way.  This was a very impoverished island. From what little we saw on the 45 minute bus ride to the resort.   I would just stick the the port area, which the cruise line owns and operates (so I have been told), unless to take an group excursion to go shopping.

• 4 weeks later...

Judging from all this and what is being said lately about Falmouth, I regret my upcoming 2018 April cruise there on the Allure. I was going to do a resort 10 minutes away but I think I will just shop in the compound and stay the rest of the day on this ship. I found Nassau to also be sketchy and I wasn't comfortable there last year. This year, we just took pictures of Atlantis from the room balcony but made that a pool day on ship. Too bad. Wish these cruise lines would choose better ports.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 10:54 AM, dejagatkins said:

Judging from all this and what is being said lately about Falmouth, I regret my upcoming 2018 April cruise there on the Allure. I was going to do a resort 10 minutes away but I think I will just shop in the compound and stay the rest of the day on this ship. I found Nassau to also be sketchy and I wasn't comfortable there last year. This year, we just took pictures of Atlantis from the room balcony but made that a pool day on ship. Too bad. Wish these cruise lines would choose better ports.

Hilton Rose Hall?  If so, I recommend you stick with your choice.  It's a private bus and you'll love the resort.