My partner is gender fluid

hugh

On 4/10/2023 at 10:51 AM, Traveling Mike said:

I just got off of Western Caribbean cruise with male looking person that wore Girls' cloths and was 6' 4".    No one seemed to notice them even at the pool.  Everyone is busy doing their thing.   

@Traveling Mike - are you calling yourself a "no one"?   😆

16 hours ago, Marlena said:

that being said be aware that staff may not call them by proper pronouns ( if that may bother them). My sister is married to my fantastic sister in law and dresses more masculine. She was constantly called “ SIR” and was even asked to cover up in the dining room when she had a tank top on and I was wearing a far more revealing outfit. Seems men and women have different clothing rules and quickly gave her the male rules. She took it in stride but I know it started to get old quickly. I lost count how many times I said “ not sir!”

@Marlena - this is funny because my husband (male) will sometimes call me 'sir' just to be funny.  So I just call him 'lady' to get back at him.  LOL!  There was one time I was called a 'sir' - it was from a police officer, walking up to my car after pulling me over for speeding.  As soon as he said 'sir', I knew that I was not getting a ticket.  There is no way someone should have mistaken me for a male - even if seated. So, call me 'sir'.  Just don't call me late for dinner.  🙂  

In a perfect world, nobody would give a hoot what your partner chose to wear so long as they followed the rules set down by the cruise line for health and safety.

In reality, There will probably be kids (and some folks who just can't help themselves) staring, but I doubt they will actually have the metaphorical cajones to say anything. A majority of people are going to be in their own bubbles doing their own things. And if you happen to land on a sailing with me and my family, you both would be more than welcome to be adopted into our family so I can snark away at any jerkfaces.

• 11 months later...
On 4/10/2023 at 2:09 AM, ScottD said:

Cruises tend to be pretty friendly and open to the LGBT+ community.  You're obviously going to get someone who may give a look or maybe not accustomed to people being "different" in their eyes, but to hell with them...enjoy your vacation. Remember, also, that they have LGBT meet ups on the ship on  a nightly basis!  

a year late but I just saw this while "cruising" (sorry) the lgbt tag and omg!!! there are meet ups?? is this for every ship? i had no idea about this! any more info or know where I can find more info on this? first time cruiser and I'm trans and I'm nervous...

On 4/10/2023 at 5:38 AM, Eamon said:

On my first Caribbean cruise in 2006, one of our travel party was fluid, Miss Brad.  They wore a leather bikini bottom to the hot tub one night.  Everyone loved Miss Brad, even the conservative couple from Georgia at our MDR table.  It is just as much your holiday as everyone else’s so enjoy yourselves.  Happy cruising!   

Mad respect for the leather bikini bottom!

4 hours ago, lost little boy said:

a year late but I just saw this while "cruising" (sorry) the lgbt tag and omg!!! there are meet ups?? is this for every ship? i had no idea about this! any more info or know where I can find more info on this? first time cruiser and I'm trans and I'm nervous...

Welcome to cruising, dude!

Your Cruise Compass (we still ask for a paper copy as we are old but I think it's all online these on the RC app) will indicate the time/place of the LGBT meeting. Also depending on the ship there is a physical message board (usually near the Cafe Latitudes or Ben & Jerry's) that will include this. When in doubt ask Guest Services - they will not judge and will be happy to assist you locate the meetings.

5 hours ago, lost little boy said:

LGBT meetings are usually held in public venues (Bars) on various nights between 10pm and 1130pm. I say "meetings" but really social get-togethers. Open to all. You can find in the app listing activities for the day/evening. 

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

They're usually self-led and if they're advertised in the Cruise Compass, it is usually listed as Friends of Dorothy.

In recent cruise compass under "Good to know" they are listed as L.G.B.T.Q+ get together (just checked the 2 Icon compasses that are up) I thought friends of Dorothy got dropped. 

I actually think they stopped using friends of Dorothy for the younger generation. Props to @lost little boy for not needing translation. LOL. 

4 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

They're usually self-led and if they're advertised in the Cruise Compass, it is usually listed as Friends of Dorothy.

I’ve never seen Friends of Dorothy in the past two years and I’ve sailed on   Number of ships during that time. 

anthem meetings were at 8.  I recall this because it’s second seating dinner and the solo/single was at 5 (first dinner seating)  I complained about solo/single and they moved it to 4.  (I think 4:30 would have been fine but I was just happy it was moved!)