Rum limits?

We are going to San Juan and to St Maarten. I want to bring rum back home with me. Is there any limit to bring back to the ship (I assume not)? I know that the ship will keep it until we disembark in Miami. When do they give it back if we do self-checkout? Are there any restrictions as to how much you can bring back to the states? I wasn't sure about customs when we return to Miami.

Thanks

45 minutes ago, wville21 said:

We are going to San Juan and to St Maarten. I want to bring rum back home with me. Is there any limit to bring back to the ship (I assume not)? I know that the ship will keep it until we disembark in Miami. When do they give it back if we do self-checkout? Are there any restrictions as to how much you can bring back to the states? I wasn't sure about customs when we return to Miami.

Thanks

There are some limitations, the fact that one of your stops is a US territory changes things a bit. 

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info

In general, US custom's allows for 1 liter per person, period.

Once, the wife and I purchased a liter each on board. On an excursion, were given a bottle of Cuban rum. I did not really think about it until we hit customs and the agent noted the 3 bottles instead of the 2 allowed. I just said, 'oops, do you want to dispose of one?'. The agent looked at me and simply said 'Go on' and we did.

I can not attest to what goes on behind the scenes in customs but with ports simply using facial recognition and you keep going with no human interaction, I am not sure what you might get away with in your bags.

Years ago when we first started cruising...We found a super deal on our favorite alcohol on the ship and we really exceeded our limit.   We grabbed a porter to help with our bags after we got off and he tried to take the four big cardboard containers of our alcohol from us to put on the cart.  Not knowing any better, we declined and carried them through customs.  When we got to the customs agent of course he noticed all the alcohol and sent us to a special room.  There they open all the boxes and after counting all the bottles, they told us we would have to pay the duty on the excess alcohol...We thought ol'boy...This is going to be expensive.  The agent starts punching numbers into a calculator and tells us our extra duty will be (Can't remember the exact amount but less that $10 bucks)…Shocked and extremely glad we quickly paid in cash.   We learned a valuable lesson that day...Always listen to our Porter!

You can bring back cases of booze (though good luck if you're flying) - you just have to pay the duty on it. Similar to when I was in college and we'd drive to Canada for decent beer... travelers have to stay overnight to trigger the duty-free exemption. We would drive across the bridge, buy a few cases, drive back and declare at customs what we'd just done. About $4 later we would be headed home with our cases of Brador.

We've brought back as many as 8 bottles for friends and family.  You used to have to sign a declaration, not anymore.   Sometimes they ask, sometimes not. Sometimes you just do the facial recognition thing. If they ask we tell what we have and pay the duty if any but I can't remember the last time they asked.

We typically bring back 2 liters pp and just claim it. We've not been charged yet. 

One thing we did learn once was to watch the proof. We managed to buy a bottle that was over 150 proof (maybe 155?). The excursion made sure we were driving home before we purchased it. If flying, the limit was 140-something proof.