Kids on an Alaskan Cruise

JNS123

Being mostly summertime cruises, yes there will be children.  More than I'd see on a winter cruise in the Caribbean.

There being so relatively few cruise ships to Alaska compared to sunny destinations, an Alaskan cruise is often a bucket-list cruise.  And if Mom and Dad are wanting this cruise, the kids just have to tough it up and be included.

That said, I don't remember children ever being an issue. 

What does it mean to have "tons" of kids on a cruise?  Our June cruise to Alaska was a mixed demographic bag of solos, elderly couples, families with kids, and young adults.  

The Ovation was large enough for people to be spaced out, even at capacity, and we never had issues with "kids" to one extent or another.

Also, as mentioned above, RCCL is a family cruise line.  I expect to see kids.  If I didn't, I would be a bit suspicious.

@JNS123What is your exact question?  Are you concerned with not enough kids for your own kids to make friends with?  Are you concerned that kids will be running rampant throughout the ship and bothering you?  Are you concerned there might not be enough kid friendly activities?  I am sure we can answer those questions for you with better answers.

27 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

What does it mean to have "tons" of kids on a cruise?  Our June cruise to Alaska was a mixed demographic bag of solos, elderly couples, families with kids, and young adults.  

The Ovation was large enough for people to be spaced out, even at capacity, and we never had issues with "kids" to one extent or another.

Also, as mentioned above, RCCL is a family cruise line.  I expect to see kids.  If I didn't, I would be a bit suspicious.

@JNS123What is your exact question?  Are you concerned with not enough kids for your own kids to make friends with?  Are you concerned that kids will be running rampant throughout the ship and bothering you?  Are you concerned there might not be enough kid friendly activities?  I am sure we can answer those questions for you with better answers.

I am concerned that the ship will be too crowded with kids which will ruin the peace. 

We homeschool so we sail in the off-season. We just booked for Alaska in May of next year, the first available sailing. We did the same in 2019. I would estimate in 2019 there were no more than 100 kids on the ship, and probably only 30 of those would be in the age range to walk around alone, the rest being very young kids who’s parents aren’t tied to the public school schedule yet. Go early in the season and you won’t even notice the kids. We just got off Allure, same thing there, my teens said there were maybe 20 kids in Fuel.

29 minutes ago, JNS123 said:

I am concerned that the ship will be too crowded with kids which will ruin the peace. 

Choose a Quantum class ship and choose to go earlier in the Alaskan season rather than later.  

1. Quantum class ships offer an adults only Solarium.  Also, the Quantum class ships have most of the kid friendly activities on the top decks and the Promenade area was a bit less occupied by kids most of the times, EXCEPT for Sorrentos LOL.

2. Again, most ships will be large enough for people to find their niches and enjoy some calm.

3. Quantum class ships have the Two70 theatre.  My experience is that this UNDERRATED space is much quieter, serene, and kid-less, while still offering unbelievable 270 degree views, a nice bar, and the wine bar next door.

4. Alaska is finicky in terms of weather and windows of opportunity.  For example, we went early June, and there were kids on board, but many kids were still in school as summer break didn't officially start yet.  The trade off was that we were a little early for whales, salmon runs, etc.  My friends went in mid-May.  They said barely any kids, but the weather was dismal and very cold.  My neighbors (yeah, we all hopped on the Alaskan bandwagon) went in late June and they complained it was hot and tons of kids.